Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
James Nicholas75
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-nicholas75.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re:

Post by James Nicholas75 »

Nessa Marie wrote: 09 Jan 2007, 18:10 Hmmm Thats a good question. I think I could. I have,granted the conversation is limited ,there are still things to talk about. I won't count someone out because it's just not their thing.
But the issue of compatibility is very important in a relationship; communication is key, and someone who chooses not to read may as well choose not to engage in healthy communications.
James Nicholas75
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-nicholas75.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by James Nicholas75 »

lapowers wrote: 10 Jan 2007, 07:27 Reading for me is a hobby that I love to endulge. Not everyone has a passion for reading nor the patience. For me, I truly enjoy getting lost in the pages of a good book. You could also expand the question forward to apply to readers: Could I date someone who did not enjoy the same books as I do?

Hopefully a reader and non reader can exist in this world and perhaps the reader, being excited about a wonderful book can turn a non reader onto something new.
Perhaps. But the idea of someone choosing to not read, even when they are lettered, points to something critical. A literate human should, normally, have something to read.
thugtomas
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by thugtomas »

Rather than 'well-read', I will take a more general rule: he must like learning, takes time to sate his curiosity, and maintains desire to better himself.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I am seriously not 100% sure, I believe it would depend on the personality of the person. If they are emotional beings as myself and can put themselves in other's shoes. Obviously they would need to understand the time I put into reading and respect that of me. I get easily put off when someone texts and the spelling is really bad even with every day and easy words. Constant reading gives a person that added touch to learn the correct spelling of words and to easier spot the incorrect ones.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Will of the World
Bookshelf Size: 2290
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

That is very personal question. My partner doesn't really read books. He just enjoys occasional manga (mostly if anime doesn't get finished). We met in game and connected through gaming, so we do share something despite also preferring different types of games. But if I am honest, I do feel quite sad that he doesn't read. He does have some patience in listening to me talking about books.

I still didn't give up on getting him to read though. I think it just needs the right book. He used to read books as a child.
ChrissyN13
Favorite Book: A ​Court of Silver Flames
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 924
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrissyn13.html
Latest Review: Murder in the Garbage by Jerry A Greenberg

Post by ChrissyN13 »

That's a big no for me. I often stay up for hours reading and if my partner hasn't felt that drive yet, then I don't think we would understand each other.
Betelhem Demsie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betelhem-demsie.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Betelhem Demsie »

Basically reading a lot can't be my precondition for dating. But I don't think I can date who doesn't read constantly. Because reading helps people understand life.
LS Daniyal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ls-daniyal.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by LS Daniyal »

Originally I would say no, but I know someone who can't stand books. You would think he was offended by them. However, he is a kind and gentle soul. He rather watch or listen than read.
Today's me is better than yesterday's me.
Tisha Mosley
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Tisha Mosley »

I have dated a nonreader but it's not as exciting as someone who reads an article or reads a good book. The only difference is the common sense(s) that could alleviate the relationship flaws. Its one or the other. I think.
Christiana Eno-obong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christiana-eno-obong.html
Latest Review: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel by Bernard Heys

Post by Christiana Eno-obong »

I’m going to say no. Most definitely not. I’d like to discuss the books I read. Or at least have a partner who would understand my obsession with books and only a partner who reads would ever understand.
Christiana Eno-obong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christiana-eno-obong.html
Latest Review: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel by Bernard Heys

Post by Christiana Eno-obong »

I’m going to say no. Most definitely not. I’d like to discuss the books I read. Or at least have a partner who would understand my obsession with books and only a partner who reads would ever understand.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

reading is not a deal breaker for me, as long as i do it i can't force people to do something they don't want
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Silvia Pearl
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvia-pearl.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Silvia Pearl »

I think I could. As long as they are okay with me discussing the book and wants to engage in conversations with me on topics of books i think I could.
Ashna Tibrewal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Ashna Tibrewal »

I dated someone who used to read and stopped. But being with me and listening to my fangirling over books inspired him to read again. we have broken up, but I think it is good to see someone who doesn't read end up reading because of you.
Flora Posh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flora-posh.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Flora Posh »

I don't ever think so. Reading is a part of me, and I'll like my partner also to be someone that reads.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”