Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Silvia Sianto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Silvia Sianto »

Hmmm Thats a good question. I think I could. I have,granted the conversation is limited ,there are still things to talk about. I won't count someone out because it's just not their thing.
Emmamackenzieee
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmamackenzieee.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Emmamackenzieee »

I currently am and sometimes it’s a challenge. With that being said, we both have different hobbies and we’ve come to turns that we have to allow one another to speak about our passions, even if the other has no idea what we are saying. Ex: we went to a NASCAR race and while waiting, I told him my favorite books that I’ve read so far of the year.
Carol McCoy Phelps
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-mccoy-phelps.html
Latest Review: Deceit by Vernon Baumrind
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 55%

Post by Carol McCoy Phelps »

It is healthy for partners to have different interests and hobbies. Whether my partner reads books or not is not a deal breaker at all. I do lots of things that a partner might not enjoy. That’s what makes us unique. Why can’t I talk about a book I have read? He can talk about his sports teams! We can watch movies together, go fishing, and go to the beach. I do not want my date stuck up my backside aaalllll the time!

I am married to a man who reads the Bible. He reads it a lot. I don’t. We can discuss it if he wants to. I can talk about an interesting book. He will discuss it if I want to. We ask each other questions to draw out opinions.

I play piano and guitar. I write folksy music. No date (or spouse) has ever taken part in those activities with me. So, why would I feel differently about reading? I like my independence.
J. Carol McCoy-Phelps
Muhammad Haikal Birton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muhammad-haikal-birton.html
Latest Review: Anti-Black Prejudice In America by Anders Eklof

Post by Muhammad Haikal Birton »

Having a partner who isn't into reading can sometimes be tough because reading is often seen as a sign of having a curious and empathetic mind.
Shiloh Stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shiloh-stone.html
Latest Review: Karrie's Thorn by Rev. Cheryl Kincaid
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Shiloh Stone »

My husband doesn’t read, so apparently. :D I’m always trying to encourage him to read, and there are a few books he’s read and enjoyed, but it’s just low on his priority list. It’s not something that comes easily to him, so I understand not being interested in it. I enjoy reading, he enjoys working on cars. We don’t have to have the same hobbies to love each other!
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: The Monster of Florence
Bookshelf Size: 38
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

I tried that and it was with someone who did not read. It did not work out . So clearly for me from now on it's a no. I'm not dating anyone who doesn't read.
I have also noticed a pattern with people who don't like reading as well. They don't give themselves an opportunity to learn or change their perspectives or grow.
Seth Madugu James
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seth-madugu-james.html
Latest Review: God is good by Margaret liu collins

Post by Seth Madugu James »

Indeed! Because, in my opinion, it's essentially what people choose to do with their free time, whether or not their friends approve of it. Given this, one could choose to read books and engage in other activities with a loved one. If you truly adore someone and maybe want to spend the rest of your life with them, it all comes down to communication and understanding. I would prefer to argue that the personal approach method is the source of colloquial intelligence and effective communication skills. Turning pages is merely one among them.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”