Why is Reading so important?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
An Dalta
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-an-dalta.html

Re: Why is Reading so important?

Post by An Dalta »

This answer has been drilled in to me for years now. As a school student I hear constantly that you can tell which students read and which students don't. It's the difference between an A and a C. I think this can apply to the rest of life though, reading isn't only going to make a difference in your school days, it will improve the rest of your life as well.
korra4now
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by korra4now »

Reading is very important in that it can broaden your diction and your imagination. Books can teach you things that cannot be learned sitting in a desk taking notes. It can take you on adventures that leads you deeper into your mind and sends off on wild rides through the world of imagination. I would not exist the way I am today without books. Books can teach you so many things that it is not even worth writing them all down because there are just too many things. I'll never understand how a person cannot like reading because it is necessary to understand the basic things of life that can be found within books. Books are can also be very relatable.
FrannyD28
Currently Reading: Fractured
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by FrannyD28 »

I agree with your points what a lovely post! As a child I had problems with my hips so when other children where out playing I was inside reading! My 2 favourite things about reading are that it is a great way to learn and that it is a means of escape. I feel that a really great novel will have you learning about something without you even realising it. I'm a huge fan of Jodi Picoult and I love how her books have educated me about certain topics through the means of an entertaining book. I also love it when I get so engrossed in a novel that it takes me away from my mundane every day life! I have passed on my love of reading to my children as I feel it is so important, my 3 year old often lifts my books and makes up her own stories! She has fantastic speech for her age and I believe this is due to me reading to her from she was very young age she even has her own book case now! :)
cherry_girl
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by cherry_girl »

I love reading so much, I only got into the hobby a few years ago. Before then I didn't care for it much and I thought I might have been dyslexic because I found it difficult. Since then I've read books for the first time that I really should have read when I was a child (Harry Potter) and I'm so glad I picked them up
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

changoora wrote:Why is Reading so important?

Everyone knows reading is important, but have you ever asked yourself why is it so important? Here I list out 8 reasons why reading is important. Hope you can really find out the reason why reading is so important for you, so you got a brand new will to explore the world of reading.

1. Explore Yourself to New Thing

Through reading, you explore yourself to new thing, to new information, new ways to solve a problem, new way to achieve one thing. Who knows you might find your new hobbies within it? Who knows you might actually explore to one thing you really like and thus it become your career and success in the future? Exploration starts from reading and understanding.

2. Self Improvement

Reading does help you form a better you, isn't it? Through reading, you understand the world more; through reading you get to understand more on a topic that interest you, for example: How to build self confidence, how to make a better planning before action; how to memorize things better and more. All these self development start from the reading; through reading, you structure the path towards a better understanding and better actions to take in the future.

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers. -Charles W. Elio-

3. Improve Understanding

The more you read, the more you understand one thing, the A to Z of a thing. Let me give an example here: reading allows you understand about crocodiles and its habits that you need to beware of places it usually appear, in the purpose of stay away from being harmed or bitten by it. Or perhaps you can try by real life experience, in approaching the crocodile, to see what happen. It does help you find out the truth of something right? Reading also increases the understanding of the rules of life, in order for you to adapt, adopt and accommodate into the society better. To play well in a game, you first need to understand the rules well enough.

4. Preparation to Action

Before you take action on anything, where do you seek for help and guidance? Reading is essential way which can help you out. In today's world, getting reviews and feedback from other people is a big impact on what your next decision, the pros and cons of one thing. Read about how to cook a meal; how to play chess; which place is nice for the holiday family trip; read the menu before ordering food, read the manual before using a new gadget. These all can help you become more prepared before really get into it.

Read > Learn > Do > Achieve

Reading is a starting step of many things, which build a more solid stairs for you to climb up achieving something big out there.

5. Gain Experience from Other People

When you are reading, you are actually gaining the knowledge and experience of someone. It can faster up your success towards one thing, as you don't need to repeat the same mistake while focus on the right path in achieving one thing. It's like a mountain of gems for you to discover in books, of people's success, failures and advices. Life is too short for you to keep repeating the mistakes that had been done by other people in the past, in order for you to reach the results that someone might already reached. There are four thousand plus billionaire and 12 million millionaires today. To become one of them, the first thing is to learn and get to know their past, what they did in the past that makes them where they are today. Reading is a great path to get to know them, and learn from these great people.

The art of reading is in great part that of acquiring a better understanding of life from one's encounter with it in a book. | André Maurois

6. Tools of Communicating

It is the most important tool of communicating, through reading, you communicate, through reading, you understand more, and thus you can communicate better with people. As if a person that know nothing, he hasn't had anything to share, and he probably don't even understand what people are sharing. Through reading, you build a more solid bridge of communication. It is one of the most important tools we use every day to connect with each other. Whereas if you don't read, you can't even connect with the world and what people are talking about out there, including understanding what this article is all about. Reading connects you with the world.

7.Connecting Your Brain

When reading, you're in full silence, where reading connects directly to your brain. In silence, you seek for more; in silence, your brain is clear and focuses, thus you learn and grow, and therefore you feel and see from the point of view of the author, about everything in life. Hence you shape a better self.

Because silence exists with total abandon, it is fearless. Because silence is fearless, it holds the power that can break through any barrier. | On Silence

8. Boost Imagination and Creativity

Reading exposes you to a world of imagination, showing you nothing is impossible in this world. By reading, you are exploring a different angle to see a thing you've known, on how different action leads to different results. Books are beyond imagination, it's like a huge spider web, where you keep linking to more and more, to things you knew, and things you just learn, structuring a new solution and answers.

So in your opinion, why is reading so important to you? Find here the best space for free reading

I totally agree with you. It helps to build vocabulary and creative writing skills. Personally, reading is therapeutic. I read and not watch television.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
polly-petkova
Currently Reading: Dao de jing
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-polly-petkova.html

Post by polly-petkova »

Reading is also a form of escape, which we all need at one point of our messy lives..
sagarverma
Favorite Author: William Shakespeare
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2482

Post by sagarverma »

Importance of reading:
• Expose yourself to new things
• Self improvement
• Improve understanding
• Preparation to action
• Gain experience from other people
• Tools of communicating
• Connecting your brain
• Boost imagination and creativity
• Mental stimulation
• Stress reduction
• Knowledge
• Vocabulary expansion
• Memory improvement
• Stronger analytical thinking skills
• Improved focus and concentration
• Better Writing Skills
• Tranquility
• Free Entertainment
Gabby
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby.html

Post by Gabby »

Reading is also important for writing! As a teacher, my students who read frequently are usually the ones who are more creative in their own writing. They are exposed to different different types of writing and different ideas. Students who are not avid readers, struggle more with writing. They have a tougher time coming up with their own ideas and putting their thoughts into words.
sagirudn1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sagirudn1.html

Post by sagirudn1 »

I think that there are so many reasons. To acquire a command for the language you speak in, to expand your vocabulary, and to be pulled into someone else's life among many other reasons.
BookLover1990

Post by BookLover1990 »

saturday+deviant wrote:As an undergrad studying to be an English teacher for middle schoolers I think these points are valid ones that could be pointed out to a student body who, at the age of 12 and 13, really don't think that reading matters at all.
This is always a shame that when young people reach their teenage years they tend to shy away from reading. What i enjoy about reading so much is that is allows you to become someone else from time to time. When I really engross myself in a book, I feel like I become the main character or am actually in a different place with people that are totally different than who I interact with in the real world.Through the stories you are learning life lessons form the author and their point of view in life.
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

What you eat describe your body, but what you read shows who you are.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou
doyle5
Currently Reading: Steelheart
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doyle5.html

Post by doyle5 »

You covered it all. There really is no other reasons other then pure enjoyment, using it to take a break from the real world, and using the characters problems to improve your understanding of your own problems.
hkachelmeier
Currently Reading: The Sound of Our Steps
Bookshelf Size: 1104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hkachelmeier.html

Post by hkachelmeier »

I find that reading is important because it keeps my brain active. I'm not in school anymore so picking up a book not matter the genre or subject keeps my mind active. It increases my vocabulary and is entertaining as well. Plus I've found a really great website that has lots of book giveaways and I've been lucky enough to win a bunch of books so I haven't had to actually buy one in quite awhile.
ReadDear

Post by ReadDear »

Personally me, reading books helps to start and keep the conversation with unfamiliar people. The book gives a broad-minded and I can speak on any topic. Communication with people - it's wonderful (and useful!)!
timdavies

Post by timdavies »

They say " Books are your best friends" and I see every bit of truth embedded in it. We all read, some of us find it entertaining, some find serenity in reading and for some it's the best way to pass time. But as taught by literary experts, reading -
Is a brain booster.
Upgrades the concentration power.
Improves vocabulary.
Perks up imaginating power and
Is a stress buster.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”