Why is Reading so important?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
natosha120
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natosha120.html

Re: Why is Reading so important?

Post by natosha120 »

I agree with many, but oddly reading has opened me to learning new things about history, new words that I've never used often or heard of, and to help me cope with depression, stress and even inspiring me to paint or draw.
internationalyoga
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by internationalyoga »

Himmelslicht wrote:Because we already have a ton of scientific researches and data stating that reading has many benefits, not to mention the ones we can see without any research:
- Better memory
- More conversational skills
- Better imagination
- More creativity
- Better at solving problems faster
- Comes up with creative solutions

Etc.

Your post is really helpful for me thanks for sharing with us.
acordaro
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acordaro.html

Post by acordaro »

All the reasons you mentioned are extremely important. For me reading keeps my mind young and open since I am busy mom with two babies and difficult health situations. Reading gives me freedom..
amandanicole books
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandanicole-books.html

Post by amandanicole books »

It keeps you relevant.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

For me, reading is also a form of relaxation. When I am reading a good book, the world's problems cease to exist. Reading has gotten me through many stressful and difficult times.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Reading is important because it can inspire you to try new things. I do believe that reading makes you smarter because you are constantly learning new information, and it makes your brain alert. Some people can decide their path in life by reading books. Whether it is non-fiction or fiction, some one might like the job of one of the characters in a book and say, "Hey I would like to do that." Most importantly, it is just fun. In a way you get to see what it is like to live in a different time, experience different jobs, and live a different life for a couple of days. That is if you are really enjoying your book and can't put it down. Reading can take you places, and sometimes I think people just need a small break from their lives every once in a while. Even if it's only for a couple of minutes. I mean has anyone ever noticed how they are just completely relaxed when they are reading a book?
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
jen_the_hen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-the-hen.html

Post by jen_the_hen »

I find myself learning things all the time from books, no matter the genre. I often find myself saying something and then adding "I learned that from a book I was reading earlier..."
afolkner95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afolkner95.html

Post by afolkner95 »

I believe reading is important because of the following reasons:
1. It is a way of learning new things. You learn about new ways of thinking, others personal experiences, etc. Reading takes you into a whole new world. Explore!
2. Widens your vocabulary and thought process.
3. Stimulates your mind!
1rskrypka
Currently Reading: Midwives
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1rskrypka.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by 1rskrypka »

I learned many things from my mother. She instilled her love of books and reading in me when I was very young. Reading can do so many things, it is a stress reliever, an anti-anxiety agent, it can transport you into another world, or place, or time. It gives you knowledge and resources. She once told me," if you have the ability to read you will be the richest person on earth." It took me a while to realize exactly what she meant, especially during my rebellious teenage years. She never meant in the monetary sense, but the richest in mind, body, and spirit. Something I have tried to pass on to my own children.
BookSnuggle
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksnuggle.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BookSnuggle »

Reading helps me to relax. I have always loved books. In the movie "Beauty and the Beast" I loved the scene where Belle sees the library for the first time. I feel that way with all the ebooks available on my devices.
robby12345uk
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robby12345uk.html

Post by robby12345uk »

Without reading so much in life is missed. That ability to lose yourself in the moment, to enable your imagination to run riot, to think about what may happen next at all moments of the day when you are not actually reading, To my mind it is superior to the immediacy of Television etc as the whole plot is permitted time to unfold in your mind and as you rarely get to read a book from cover to cover without a break there is time in between for the mind to work it's wonderful powers. :D
Divya agarwal
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divya-agarwal.html

Post by Divya agarwal »

Reading is like spending some quality time with our own selves. You get the company of words which convey all they can,but ask nothing in return.

-- 29 Aug 2015, 10:57 --

Reading is like spending some quality time with our own selves. You get the company of words which convey all they can,but ask nothing in return.
MamaOtwell
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamaotwell.html

Post by MamaOtwell »

I am not even certain where to begin with why reading is important! Having children and watching them learn to read is an act of patience and wonder. As they begin to discover the world that is hidden behind each dust jacket, you see a new connection in their mind emerge. They begin to develop communication skills, ways to interpret the world, self expression and a simple love of words! Unfortunately, as many children grow, they begin to lose that love of expanding their minds because they are so wrapped up in technology, extra-curriculars, homework...they seldom have time to devote to one of their first hobbies. Parents, teachers, older siblings and general authority figures need to continue to show that reading can be even more rewarding as you age simply because it is healthy to know current events, to be able to speak with knowledge about the past as well as future leaders of the world. How would any movie come to the big screen if someone had not borne the story first? We all need to be able to activate the centers of our mind that do not rely on visual cues to see a picture. When our imaginations are being used, the world becomes a bigger, richer place full of possibilities!
Victoria_99

Post by Victoria_99 »

I agree with you guys. Books are extremely important.
TrisNook
Favorite Author: JK Rowling
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and Order of The Phoenix (Harry Potter #5)
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by TrisNook »

It helps to build a vocabulary I know that, I learned so many new words from reading harder books when I was in school because it would prompt me to look the words up. I always scored really high in vocabulary because of that.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”