Can a health and fitness book help you lose weight?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Can a health and fitness book help you lose weight?

Post by Loveabull »

I have a problem with the celebrity books in particular. A female celebrity who has a personal chef and trainer even someone in charge of air brushing them chiseled for the book pictures, is just trying to make a buck writing an exercise book.
People will buy the book because they like the celebrity and have the natural fantasy that following the book will somehow transform them to some resemblance of the star in question. But realistically I could do boot camp cross training for the next year and I will still not look like Heidi Klum...and that's okay
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
Spontaneo
Favorite Book: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spontaneo.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Spontaneo »

Recently, I heard about The Peanut Butter Diet. Have any of you read it? Is it worth buying?

My whole life, I have followed the Mediterranean. Sure, I have attempted every new diet out there, but always return to my roots.

Some of us cannot afford to go to Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, etc. So, sure a fitness and health book is super!

:wink2:
You Only Grow Old If You Want To
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I think they can be a great guidance on what to eat and recipes to try. They can definitely motivate you and get you in the right mindset. Unfortunately, where I run into trouble is the dedication to the change in eating and exercise. But a fitness book can be a great companion during weight loss.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Booklover11
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover11.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Booklover11 »

I think it could definitely help. However, everyone has a different body type so I feel like it is often impossible for one uniform diet plan/workout to work. You could probably find most of the tips in the book in articles online. Your diet/work out plan should be suited to you specifically and not be a generalized plan. I have religiously followed health & fitness books and some of helped and some have not. It really just depends.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

Yes health and fitness book can help one to loose weight, all you need to do is to be disciplined and self controlled. Am currently following the tips in some health book and honestly it works.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Just as reading a golf book won't make you Tiger Woods, reading a diet book won't make you thin. You have to get out there and put everything you learn in the book into practice.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

Yes it can help a great deal as long as you adhere to the tips you learn from the health and fitness books. It worked for my sister.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Sherryl_76
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sherryl_76 »

I believe reading a health book for weight loss can be helpful to anybody who wants to be physically fit. It's a way of knowing what are the proper food that we need to eat and which ones we need to avoid. But then again, the most effective way of losing weight is to have discipline in one's self because no matter how much knowledge we have if the willingness and determination isn't achieved then we'll end having the same weight or worst gain more.
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

I think they help put your weight loss journey into perspective and learn where to change.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

I think books can help you do anything but ultimately what matters is whether you're willing to put in the work, and if you actually put in that work.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

I think health and fitness books are good motivation and that is as much help as it can offer.
Divya Tamilselvan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divya-t.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B086KCQX95

Post by Divya Tamilselvan »

We cannot relate to every book we read. If we get the right book for us, anything is possible. Practicing a diet plan or exercise may feel bored, it just takes motivation. It's not just about books, people around us influence our daily life. So if you want to practice a diet plan or exercise plan get the right book and surround yourself with right kind of people.
Matlhodi Nozwayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matlhodi-nozwayo.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Matlhodi Nozwayo »

Of course if you can follow through with whatever plans they might recommend to you. Avoid snacking while at it!!
Jay Peter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-peter.html
Latest Review: Champagne Widows by Rebecca Rosenberg

Post by Jay Peter »

I think if you read it and really concentrate on what it says yes I really believe you can lose weight.
Scott Fling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott-fling.html
Latest Review: GOD'S PLAN FOR YOU: 21-DAY DEVOTIONAL by Tim Outlaw

Post by Scott Fling »

"Eat To Live" has really inspired me to start eating whole foods. It's not a gimmick and really works. The hard part is avoiding sweets

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”