Do you enjoy books that shift narrative modes?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Divya Tamilselvan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divya-t.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B086KCQX95

Re: Do you enjoy books that shift narrative modes?

Post by Divya Tamilselvan »

Yes, I enjoy reading books that shift narration. Recently, I read a book named Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas. The book is written in a way of shifting narration.
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

LadyStardust wrote: 20 Feb 2013, 00:17 Hi all, new here. :) I'll post an intro in a bit, but for the moment I just have a burning question:

Do you enjoy books in which the author uses different narrative modes? (Example: I just finished "Blind Panic" by Graham Masterton. Some chapters were first person POV, others were third person. The first person was limited to one character, so I thought it worked and wasn't too confusing overall.)

I know many people consider alternating narrative modes to be an unforgivable sin, so I was just curious. It's tough to get a straight answer out of friends/family, because they know I'm a writer and therefore feel there is a right or wrong answer - I just want an honest opinion, darn it! That's all! ;)

So, assuming it's personal preference, what's yours?
OOO, that sounds like a challenge as an author to switch POV throughout the story. Sometimes even switching the omniscient POV with different characters can be challenging. I like how Dan Brown switches back and forth in each chapter, which makes it easy to follow and interesting. I'm reading a Jack Winnick book right now, and usually I really enjoy his writings, but this one I'm really struggling to decipher if he's jumping to the future, having a flashback, or switching characters. I will mention it in my review. Again, I usually am rooting for him because his stories are so compelling, but this one was my least favorite.
Ashley Price 3
Favorite Book: Home Body
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-price-3.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose

Post by Ashley Price 3 »

I don't mind, if done well I actually enjoy shifts in narration.
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

I like reading books with multiple povs, lets you know what other characters are really thinking. :)
Arianne Joy Melendres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arianne-joy-melendres.html
Latest Review: The graveyard and other poems by Mae Bea Sayes

Post by Arianne Joy Melendres »

It definitely depends on the execution ! Sometimes they get a bit confusing and sometimes there's a certain thrill when you're switching between narratives to get a wider perspective of things
Lucreatia Alexander
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucreatia-alexander.html
Latest Review: Past Imperfect by G D Harrison
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Lucreatia Alexander »

Absolutely! The first book I read with two different narrativeswas "Flipped" by Wendelin Van Draanen. I couldn't put it down. People always say there are two different sides(or even more) to a story I find this to be one hundred percent true. Books that shift to different narratives helps you to see both perspectives, you get a well rounded view/opinion of the book and it even helps you to understand each character better.
Jay Peter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-peter.html
Latest Review: Champagne Widows by Rebecca Rosenberg

Post by Jay Peter »

Sometimes... Usually I find it distracting. However - I just finished a book called Skippy Dies where the narrative mode shifts frequently and somehow it works well.
Scott Fling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott-fling.html
Latest Review: GOD'S PLAN FOR YOU: 21-DAY DEVOTIONAL by Tim Outlaw

Post by Scott Fling »

The first person narrative is okay for some books, but I prefer the third person narration. With one person narration you can only understand the point of view and feelings of just one character. I like to read books where it's general, and where I can read about all of the character's points of view.
Ma Leonarda Castañares
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-leonarda-casta-ares.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Ma Leonarda Castañares »

It depends. But if it’s disrupting the reading flow and makes it hard to form connection with the character, then the answer is no.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Most of the books that I read are in third person, I find it difficult to read a first person narrative. I can't imagine if the story shifted between the two.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”