Do you enjoy books that shift narrative modes?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Re: Do you enjoy books that shift narrative modes?

Post by SidnayC »

I personally prefer it to be all in the same narrative... it feels like the author couldn't make up her mind so just threw it all in there. Keep it all third-person, you can still connect with a character in third person and will be a testament to the writing style of the author
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
Ropis
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Ropis »

serenity01 wrote:I don't mind, as long as it's well written, therefore not confusing.
:wink:
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." - Ralph W. Emerson
sherlock_holmes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sherlock-holmes.html

Post by sherlock_holmes »

If the author changes perspectives while keeping both in first person (such as Veronica Roth in Allegiant) I cannot stand it. I'll forget who is supposed to be narrating and why they're saying and doing these things. However, if the narrating changes from third person to third person, it's fine, because the names and the pronouns are different. Or first person to third person, which I think would be interesting but have never seen anyone do before.
RobertManchester
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robertmanchester.html

Post by RobertManchester »

LadyStardust wrote:Hi all, new here. :) I'll post an intro in a bit, but for the moment I just have a burning question:

Do you enjoy books in which the author uses different narrative modes? (Example: I just finished "Blind Panic" by Graham Masterton. Some chapters were first person POV, others were third person. The first person was limited to one character, so I thought it worked and wasn't too confusing overall.)

I know many people consider alternating narrative modes to be an unforgivable sin, so I was just curious. It's tough to get a straight answer out of friends/family, because they know I'm a writer and therefore feel there is a right or wrong answer - I just want an honest opinion, darn it! That's all! ;)

So, assuming it's personal preference, what's yours?
Yes I do think I like this sort of things it brings more drama into the book turns it on its head
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

I honestly don't think I have ever read a book that shifts from first person to third person very often. I have, however, read books that change from character to character and narrative formats, for example, diary entries to letters. I think they make the story more interesting. The reading is enjoyable when I can experience it from the point of view of different characters. It gives a good angle to the story and sometimes, a better understanding to the plot.
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
jacob23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacob23.html

Post by jacob23 »

It depends on the book. Some authors are able to shift narrative modes successfully and have the book still make sense and flow nicely. Others.. not so much!
CloudedRune
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloudedrune.html
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by Mar&iacute;a Escobedo Cubas

Post by CloudedRune »

I very much agree that it depends on the book - how the change in narratives is handled, how clear it is, how it works with the writing style.

I remember liking the shift in narratives in Jodi Picoult's 'Keeping Faith' when I read it a year ago, though it took me a while to get used to it.
BookFever
Favorite Book: I could not possibly choose.
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfever.html
Latest Review: "You, in Your Green Shirt" by Barbara Monier

Post by BookFever »

Most of the time I do appreciate a change in narrator, especially when the alternate narrator is heavily involved in the plot. However, the book I just finished, Me Before You by Jojo Moyes, did this change in a narrator in a strange way. The majority of the book was written from the perspective of Lou. However, at very random parts of the book, there would be one chapter written from a different character's perspective - but it was only one chapter and never from a repeat character. I didn't mind the different narration so much as it was difficult for me to remember that I wasn't reading from the viewpoint of Lou anymore.
CloudedRune
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloudedrune.html

Post by CloudedRune »

Yes, I agree that it is sometimes quite difficult to remember how the narrative has changed - especially when it is done abruptly.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I don't mind it at all, if it is well written. It's only annoying if you have idea that the POV has shifted, so as long as the author makes it clear who is telling the story, then it can be pretty amazing.
BookFever
Favorite Book: I could not possibly choose.
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfever.html

Post by BookFever »

I don't mind it as long as it is well done. However, I like when books alternate between two or more characters rather than 1st/3rd person. I like getting into the minds of several characters - it gives the book a lot of depth.
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I used to mind it very much and would want to put the book down immediately. But then I promised my friend that I'd read that book so I was stuck with it and I started to not mind it at all. I still mostly pick books that stay in one narrative mode, but I can enjoy books that shift the narrative too.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

RebekaV wrote:I used to mind it very much and would want to put the book down immediately. But then I promised my friend that I'd read that book so I was stuck with it and I started to not mind it at all. I still mostly pick books that stay in one narrative mode, but I can enjoy books that shift the narrative too.
Same with me. I can get used to it, even if I don't necessarily like it.
And as long as it's well done, I wouldn't even notice it, probably.
WritingLegend
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writinglegend.html

Post by WritingLegend »

You should read 'The Cloud Atlas'!
robind13
Currently Reading: The Lullaby Sky
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robind13.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by robind13 »

I don't mind them, as long as I know which narrative it is