Do you enjoy books that shift narrative modes?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
shanson1
Favorite Author: Simon Black
Favorite Book: The Book Of Frank
Currently Reading: The Source
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanson1.html

Re: Do you enjoy books that shift narrative modes?

Post by shanson1 »

I believe it certainly depends on the sort of book/genre it is. If the story is meant to be told by multiple characters than it should be written precisely, and not confusing. Just as long as it helps the flow of the story, or else explains certain details about the main hero/heroine.
Overall, if a book should have multiple narratives, I believe two to three voices should be the limit.
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

I think if it's done right it can be amazing. I too loved the way it was done in "The Poisonwood Bible".

I recently read a book from here called "Blind Evil" by Eric Praschan that did this, and I wasn't such a fan. An ex-best friend turned killer, going after the two main characters, a husband and wife, and every time it went into the wife's perspective I just got bored. I didn't feel she added anything to it, and there were times where things were just restated from her perspective.

A third book I can think of that does this is "The Warded Man" by Peter V. Brett. This first book in the series was amazing, and it had followed three different people. Now we're onto the third book, and we haven't really gone very far from the end of the first book, because each book has told the life of a different character, so it's kind of getting old. I feel that Brett should have combined the second and third book to move things along a bit more.

I have also noticed that this is a popular style in horror novels, and they have a tendency to follow a ridiculous amount of characters.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
kiwes
Favorite Author: Daniel Black
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: Who Do I Run To
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiwes.html

Post by kiwes »

I absolutely love alternating POVs, if it's written well. Two novels, that come to mind, clearly demonstrate this is Tigers in Red Weather by Liza Klaussman and House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III. I have to admit, most books I've read hadn't delved into different POVs, and it wasn't until I happened upon House of Sand and Fog, which became a mega movie, that I realized if done well, it could read perfectly, which it did. I was so awestruck by the way Andre showed the view from one character to the next. If one character was in an argument, he'd end the chapter, and the next one showed the view from the other character. I absolutely fell in love with that writing style. Now I embrace several POVs, again, carefully stating, if it is written for the reader to follow. This can prove very challenging for the writer, especially if this isn't something one has done before, but it makes for pure enjoyment either to the reader and/or writer.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Yes, if it is well done. One book I can think of alternates from first person/past tense to third person/present tense. It's very well done. Another famous novel is a "collection" of journal/diary entries from several of the main characters. All first person, but from different points of view.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
electramia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-electramia.html

Post by electramia »

I mostly don't mind them, as long as its written well. If I'm able to differentiate between the narratives style of writing, I'm fine with it.
"Life’s too short to drink crappy coffee and cry over boys who don’t care."
-Matt Healy (The 1975)
Doodahday6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doodahday6.html

Post by Doodahday6 »

I don't mind it if the author can do it without making it confusing.
katielgorton3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katielgorton3.html

Post by katielgorton3 »

I personally love when authors play with narrative modes, but like everyone else has said, it needs to be done in good taste. That being said, if done well, I think it adds that extra edge to the story.
Kind of along these lines, I’m reading the Divergent series right now (at the request of a shipmate) and I’m almost through the third book. I was pleasantly surprised when she switched from Tris telling the story to Tobias telling the story, and I love how their stories of the same situation lapse from chapter to chapter.
Jbessy
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbessy.html
Latest Review: Marco Martinez by R M Allan

Post by Jbessy »

I enjoy it to a limited extent in my reading. I actually find that it's most seamless for me when one character tells the story in a completely different tense. The Peabody series by Elizabeth peters pulls this off nicely by having one characters story in third person, one in second (Epistolary), and one in first.
RILENTLISS
Favorite Author: Mealea Mathews
Favorite Book: Great Expectations
Currently Reading: The Giver
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rilentliss.html
Latest Review: "Our True Origin The Real History of Man" by Scott P. Davis
fav_author_id: 1967

Post by RILENTLISS »

Multiple perpsective shifts always add greater depth to a story, while on the other hand, seem like a writer's nightmare.
Latest Review: "Our True Origin The Real History of Man" by Scott P. Davis
Nimbus Wolfsbane
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: To Kill A Mocking Bird
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimbus-wolfsbane.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Nimbus Wolfsbane »

My favourite style! I think it adds a new dimension to the book.
With each page you turn another life you live...
anomalocaris
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier

Post by anomalocaris »

If I see any hint of 1st person, I'm gone. I'm particularly annoyed when I've glanced at the first chapter to make sure it's not 1st person, only to find that they've pulled a bait and switch on me and the next chapter is 1st person, especially when I've actually paid for the book. In fact that just happened to me last night. GRRR.
You can't put a rope around the neck of an idea.
--Vol. Bobby Sands
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier
randomcheerio
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomcheerio.html

Post by randomcheerio »

Margaret Atwood's The Edible Woman does just that to highlight the main character's state of mind. I thought it was a great characterization tool.
Wolfsbane Creations
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wolfsbane-creations.html

Post by Wolfsbane Creations »

Yes it adds another dimension to the book
readinginreview4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinginreview4.html

Post by readinginreview4 »

I don't really read books like that. I've read books where they've shifted from person to person though, and that was really cool and interesting!
amansmith
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Favorite Book: Alpha and Omega and Highland Moonlight
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amansmith.html
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by amansmith »

As long as the shifts aren't confusing I don't mind. Sometimes I think it can add a little extra to the book. Now in the cases when the shift doesn't work and you are so confused as to what is going on then no I do not like it at all.
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”