Your most preferred reading genre

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
rachel5
Favorite Author: C.S Lewis
Favorite Book: Narnia and Redwall
Currently Reading: Aesop
Bookshelf Size: 0

Your most preferred reading genre

Post by rachel5 »

Do you have a specific favorite genre in your reading? I go for classic British literature, with authors like C.S Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien.
A book is a movie that plays in your mind while you read the words in it
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

That's a tough one. I don't think I could honestly claim to have a favorite genre but I have noticed that when I read a particularly good book of a specific type I tend to want to read more in the same genre. Of course, even within a specific genre the styes and talents of authors swing a huge arc so I suppose if I had a choice I'd prefer an interesting type of writing style (and obviously this is very hard to qualify) as opposed to a specific genre.

Let me try to give you an example of what I mean. This is only one example of "style", and of course there are many, but it sort of sets the atmosphere of the reading experience of the book I just happen to be currently reading.

I was recently recommended a book by Fran - HHhH by Laurent Binet - which is written in a very unusual style which is at first a bit distracting but in time has become utterly fascinating. The author tells both the story, which is the true account of the assassination of one of Hitler's architects of The Holocaust by two Czechs, and in between describing the historical events of that period in history interposes his personal day-to-day events in present time which involve the writing of the story. This is reminiscent of Alex Haley's book Roots. After getting used to it I am finding this writing approach very compelling.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
tammy_waggoner31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammy-waggoner31.html

Post by tammy_waggoner31 »

Romance, I know its a cliche but I love romance. I read mystery, but there must be an element of romance. I read paranormal but romance must be present. I could go on and on but I'll read just about anything as long as there is a love story attached to it. I read lots of non fiction that doesn't need a romantic element but if I want to get lost in a book it must include a little romance.
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

Wow,that is hard to pin down,because it seems to depend on what I am in the mood for,and I can just be browsing forums or a book site and see the synopsis of a book that sounds so interesting that I must get it to read. Then add to that .... what DATo said~ I usually read several in a row of a similar topic or genre[including nonfiction topics].I enjoy most genres of fiction.
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Im with booklvr62. It depends mostly on my mood. Altho Im partial to horror and ghost stories and fantastic fiction and history, but I like most anything with a good story.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Mazza WA

Post by Mazza WA »

I am fond of science fiction, but I never want to restrict myself to just one genre. I'm currently reading "the One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window and Disappeared". Just pior to that it was "If the Universe is Teeming with Aliens - Where is Everybody?" non-fiction by Stephen Webb. Both very different in terms of content and style. Regardless of genre, I like a book that holds my interest in the first few pages - usually I get more enjoyment out of these books. Happy reading everyone - no matter your personal choices!
Ant
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

Like BH I also like horror/ghost stories but also like crime/thrillers, but basically I will read anything that grabs my attention, even if it's on the back of a cornflakes box. :D
paige742698

Post by paige742698 »

YA fiction and fantasy! I just love fiction and fantasy, I don't know why. Maybe its because its exciting to think that some of those things might be possible. I have no patience with historical books or sappy stories with nothing really unsusual happening.
Phoenix98

Post by Phoenix98 »

I would find this difficult to answer were it not for the fact that we are given "preferred reading genre," and then asked about "specific favorite genre. That helps.

I prefer to read whatever contributes to a better understanding of my world--usually from the Classics or some form of instructional nonfiction. This comes, however, with a caveat. The satisfaction usually comes after the final page, because these books require work to read.

My favorite genre is spy thriller/espionage.
Token conservative
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

Would say all Thrillers[medical,psychological,techno,political,sci-fi],Historical fiction, and PG Romance are my FAV Fiction.Oh, and throw in a great ghost story/non-gory horror too![Like 'The Old Willis Place,Wait Till Helen Comes,and House Of Dark Shadows(from the Dreamhouse Kings series).
odinaesir
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odinaesir.html
Latest Review: "Crossbred" by Nadene Seiters

Post by odinaesir »

Fantasy and Science Fiction.
Latest Review: "Crossbred" by Nadene Seiters
joreasonable
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joreasonable.html
Latest Review: "Caught In A Web" by Jason Carter

Post by joreasonable »

mainly thrillers and crime but there are times when a bit of chick lit and historical fiction goes down well.
Latest Review: "Caught In A Web" by Jason Carter
Eggroll
Favorite Author: Raymond Chandler
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eggroll.html
fav_author_id: 4104

Post by Eggroll »

I am moving on from YA books. I used to read all fantasy. I am moving towards reading more crime, contemporary fiction, and historical books (non-fiction and fiction).
“I lit a cigarette that tasted like a plumber’s handkerchief” - Raymond Chandler
MandiKenendy
Favorite Book: Too many to list
Currently Reading: Dance with Dragons Part 1

Post by MandiKenendy »

I like a lot of genres. I really like crime novels, fantasy and historical drama but I also like stories that give you an Insight into another country. I really liked A Thousand Splendid Suns and The Kite Runner for this reason. The only genres I don't really read are chick lits as I find they are always the same story and those stories that there are so many of now which are stories of abuse suffered as children as I find it too gruelling.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
kaileyky
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaileyky.html

Post by kaileyky »

I go through stages. At the moment I am into historical romance but I am sure that will change soon. :) I can not limit myself to just one genre.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”