Mental

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
liz.mcken08
Bookshelf Size: 0

Mental

Post by liz.mcken08 »

When I was in college I used to read so much. now I feel like I spend my whole mind trying to be productive, but miss that stimulation that I would get. anyone have any tips for how to incorporate more intellectual activity into your life?

James Ray Enthusiast
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

Get involved in community organisations. Help out with refugees, the homeless, literacy programmes in schools or libraries, young people, anything that interests you. Talk to people who are also passionate about the same things as you.

And join book clubs, online or in "real life"!
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Wordsgood

Post by Wordsgood »

liz.mcken08 wrote:When I was in college I used to read so much. now I feel like I spend my whole mind trying to be productive, but miss that stimulation that I would get. anyone have any tips for how to incorporate more intellectual activity into your life?

James Ray Enthusiast
I know, I know, I've been responding to older posts today. See what happens to insomniacs? We get bored and go trolling for things to do! :D

Sleepydumpling, as usual, gives excellent advice here. :D But I would also suggest thinking about anything at all that interests you and then go looking for printed material about it. Whether its Plato, cats or the local garbage collectors strike, once you get back into reading you will quickly find your life branching out. One topic leads to another... Play trivia and word games - on your own or with friends. There are great, totally free sites on the web you can use that allow you to play against the computer or with others around the world. Just google free online games and you will get several links to follow. Plus each link usually offers up several more, as well as links to articles and books that might interest you!
saracen77

Post by saracen77 »

I had this problem too. I could feel myself getting sluggish and the memory was starting to go. I got myself out a bit more, joined some groups, reading, discussion and crafting, so I was learning some new things.

And I picked up the kids game boy... Don't actually know how founded in reality the claims that these things make are, but since I splashed out on "Brain Training" and "More Brain Training" I ave got my mental maths and recall back, so It must be doing some good!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”