Books that you studied at school

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
BakerStreetJ
Bookshelf Size: 0

Books that you studied at school

Post by BakerStreetJ »

Were there any books at school that you had to study as part of a course but you actually ended up loving?
I had to study Of Mice and Men at school and it ended up being one of my favourite books. I found that I really liked studying it as well as it gave me an insight I wouldn't otherwise have had and I got to talk about it with other people which is half the pleasure of reading.
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by Loveabull »

There were ones I hated in school..."A Separate Peace", Achebe...but two authors we did that I did grow to enjoy-Salman Rushdie and Aphra Behn
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
fiorabelle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fiorabelle.html

Post by fiorabelle »

Although it was a compulsory read I loved "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. I thought Lee beautifully wove together two stories, that of a young girl growing up in the South in the 1930s and a story about prejudice, racial discrimination and of course bravery and standing up for what you believe in. I also agree with you BakerStreetJ, it was exciting going to class each day and analyzing the newest chapters with my classmates. :)
BakerStreetJ

Post by BakerStreetJ »

fiorabelle wrote:Although it was a compulsory read I loved "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. I thought Lee beautifully wove together two stories, that of a young girl growing up in the South in the 1930s and a story about prejudice, racial discrimination and of course bravery and standing up for what you believe in. I also agree with you BakerStreetJ, it was exciting going to class each day and analyzing the newest chapters with my classmates. :)

I love To Kill a Mocking Bird!
AmandaT

Post by AmandaT »

I fell in love with "Lord of the Flies" when I studied it as part of my English GSCE. I've read it so many times now. I agree, I really liked studying it as a class and having people to talk about it with. When you study a book you get to see loads of Insights that you'd probably miss just reading it.
book4mynerds

Post by book4mynerds »

I did the horror of managing to study English at Higher level in IB. We had around 11 books. Miss Julie, A Doll's House, Medea, Death of a Salesman, Like Water for Chocolate (Laura Esquivel), Annie John, Old man and the Sea, Remains of the Day, Macbeth, Things Fall Apart, Perfume- The story of a murderer.
johnyallen

Post by johnyallen »

hi....
i have read many books at school math's book, science book, social science book, Hindi book, English book,,general books...
Readingisfundamental
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingisfundamental.html

Post by Readingisfundamental »

Consider mine another vote for "Old Man and the Sea". I believe we read it as part of English 9 or 10.
johnyallen

Post by johnyallen »

hi i has study books like a science book English book with story books and poem book and Also Hindi Books like a poem and story written in Hindi.
mansu

Post by mansu »

i had to read "The story of my life" by Helen Keller bcoz it was part of my syllabus in high school.. i hated it..
it was written as an autobiography but seemed more like an environmental description book to me! :lol: ..it was utterly boring & no need to say i yawned throughout the book!
MarathonCF

Post by MarathonCF »

I found that studying the Shakespeare plays really made me appreciate them. When I read them on my own i couldn't understand them that well but when I had it explained at school i really liked them.
chilipepper205

Post by chilipepper205 »

We didn't read hardly any of the "classics" in my school. The book that stood out for me reading in high school was A Separate Peace by John Knowles.
Monique_Ari
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monique-ari.html

Post by Monique_Ari »

we did'nt exactly study "classics" at school but I had to read Crash a Jerry Spinelli book and instantly loved it.
Katk1424

Post by Katk1424 »

I think the wife of bath was the one I was surprised to have liked so much
Never really read anything like it but I found it really interesting.
pri012345

Post by pri012345 »

I did Julius Caesar play as part of school lessons ..it was fun!:)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”