Erotic or platonic, which one do you prefer?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Erotic or platonic, which one do you prefer?

Post by book_fanatic_ »

Love exists in many forms. Authors use platonic as well as erotic themes to include in their works. Though stories with platonic themes are not boring, but erotic ones grab more attention and interest of the readers. What are your thoughts on it?
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato
sugareesparkle
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sugareesparkle »

Erotic books seem to give a more intense emotion of desire or intrigue. Through the years of reading both platonic and erotic I feel that the more intense keeps my interest. Therefore, Erotic themed novels are a better read then Platonic.
Last edited by sugareesparkle on 19 Apr 2020, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.
Melina the reader
Currently Reading: A New Earth
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Melina the reader »

I think it depends on the book for me. If the relationship is one of the main themes of the book then I think I prefer erotic, because it just hooks me more, I agree with both of you there.
But I also enjoy reading books that revolve around other things like thrillers or an odd crime story. In that case I don't really care about the type of love, whether it is platonic or erotic, as long as the main plot has me hooked.
But I also have to say, that in most fiction novels, even ones that aren't specifically romance books, there is an Erotic love story that just adds something too the story. I'm just trying to think of a historical fiction, Sci-Fi or Fantasy book that I read that didn't include some kind of erotic love story and I can't really find anything. So I guess it just makes everything a bit more intense.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

It depends on the story. However, an authentic love story always prevails in my opinion.
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

book_fanatic_ wrote: 18 Apr 2020, 09:16 Love exists in many forms. Authors use platonic as well as erotic themes to include in their works. Though stories with platonic themes are not boring, but erotic ones grab more attention and interest of the readers. What are your thoughts on it?
It depends on the book and what the author is trying to achieve by writing the one he prefers.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

If the main theme of the book is relationship then I prefer erotic because it's more catchy.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

I hate erotic themes. Platonic to me is a lot more better.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

Erotic, as long as they don't overdo it. I've read books where there's a s*x scene in every other chapter and not much to the plot. I hated it. I also don't like insta-love and jumping in the bed after two chapters. I like a good build-up, interesting characters, a nice storyline, some slow burn romance which leads to s*x.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

I definitely prefer platonic when it comes to my stories. Don't get me wrong I love a good love story. But I've read so many with such crude disgusting word puke that it honestly turned me off of reading romance novels as a whole. I don't need 50 different ways to describe the way a woman sounds during love making, or how many thrusts. Tell me more about why she loves him, or her. What brought them together? What haunts their memories? Maybe I'm old fashioned that way.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”