Importance of book cover

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Anandi Iyer Ghosh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anandi-iyer-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Importance of book cover

Post by Anandi Iyer Ghosh »

How important is a book cover?
Enigma
Favorite Author: S.E.Hinton
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading: Breathless by Scott Prussing
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enigma.html
Latest Review: "Broken, 180 Days in the Wilderness of an Urban Middle School" by Ann C. Averill

Post by Enigma »

Yes I do judge a book by its cover. After all it's the first thing a reader sees.
If I didn't write, I'd never sleep.

Up the Irons!!!
Latest Review: "Broken, 180 Days in the Wilderness of an Urban Middle School" by Ann C. Averill
Anandi Iyer Ghosh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anandi-iyer-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Anandi Iyer Ghosh »

I have missed many a good book because I didn't like the cover.
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Loveabull »

Now that is a good question! A cover can make a difference...especially when you're browsing a large volume of books. I picked up a book recently that just seemed interesting because of the cover...a surgeon with bloodied gloves and a cup of tea, obviously exhausted...I ended up reading it cover to cover and will definitely read it again. By title alone I might not have noticed it.

Funny but sometimes I'm sad when they reissue different book covers...I think they recently did that with Harry Potter. Maya Angelou's books used to have some beautiful pictures of her from the time they were written. Many years later they changed them all.
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

The cover would influence whether I picked up a book in a bookshop or library but it would not be the deciding factor in my buying or reading the book. It can work both ways though: I would never have picked up a Jasper Fforde book based on the cover which suggest a childs book but because he was recommended here on the Forums I, thankfully, bypassed my reservations about the covers!

I guess it's fairly obvious that if it didn't have an impact on sales publishers wouldn't spend vast amounts on the cover artwork.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
jacstar23
Favorite Author: Lauren Dane
Currently Reading: Bitten by Kelley Armstrong
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacstar23.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
fav_author_id: 14988

Post by jacstar23 »

I've bought countless books based on the cover alone - Twilight is an example. I kept seeing that damn apple everywhere and so I bought it. without reading the back or anything. This was prior to the rest of the series being in print.

it's like playing the lotto - sometimes I win (like with Twilight), sometimes I really don't.

I've also avoided books based on the cover. Didn't even bother picking them up to see what it's about. I'm sure I'm missing out

now Cover is not the only way I pick out books, but if I'm just perusing the bookstore - obviously covers are what sell the book. Catch my eye, I'll pick it up... plain and simple
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
AliceRose
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Post by AliceRose »

I guess an eye-catching cover would draw me in. But I'm more interested in reading the blurb on the back. I often look online for books and I tend to just read the reviews.

Many of the "classics" have pretty boring and nondescript covers, which I think can discourage the younger reader. I have a copy of Little Women that has a bright, attractive cover which I think would be more likely to draw in a child or teenager. I think it would be a good idea to revamp some of the covers of the classics so the younger audience won't just look at them and think "Oh, that looks boring."
Starmy

Post by Starmy »

aparajita ghosh wrote:I have missed many a good book because I didn't like the cover.
I am much the same! Now the cover doesn't matter to me. If it gets a good rep or its about a topic I enjoy I'll give it a go no matter how unappealing it may look initially.
mahanma

Post by mahanma »

Agree to the general consensus... Book covers are very important
vortexkd
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vortexkd.html

Post by vortexkd »

Well the cover doesn't really effect how good the text inside the book is, but unless someone's got plenty of time on their hands, they aren't going to read excerpts of every single book on the shelf (or shelves) they're interested in before picking one up.
I think what most people do is that the try to minimise the false positives. Meaning, it matters a lot more to them if the pick up a book that they don't enjoy, than it does if they miss a book that they would have enjoyed.
In this sense, a reader tries to pick up a book with a cover they like (and then if they're careful read through it a bit to see if they actually like it). So from the perspective of someone designing the book the cover is really important. It's the face of the book, so to speak. It's like dressing well for a job interview or a first date really.
On the other hand, from the reader's perspective, it doesn't seem like the cover matters so much... because it doesn't so much effect the experience itself as help decide *which* experience we have.
troyciesco
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-troyciesco.html

Post by troyciesco »

Sometimes for me it's not just the cover art - when I'm at the library or a bookstore I usually pick up books that look older. To me it's cool to read a book that people would have seen as brand new during WWII or something. So an appealing cover design is usually important, but sometimes less is more.
Dphaber
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dphaber.html
Latest Review: "The Icarus Prediction" by RD Gupta

Post by Dphaber »

To me, at least when selecting a book in a store, it's initially the most important aspect of the process. If a book catches my eye with its cover, and only if that happens, I will read the description and consider buying it.
Latest Review: "The Icarus Prediction" by RD Gupta
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by Loveabull »

As a cat lover, the young adult series "Cat Warriors" has the most absolutely awesome covers :D
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
Megan Young
Favorite Author: VC Andrews
Favorite Book: My Sweet Audrina
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan-young.html

Post by Megan Young »

I think its a good to see a book with a nice cover but it really doesnt matter to me at all, I will read anything!
scuba_steves
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander
Currently Reading: The Fiery Cross - Diana Gabaldon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scuba-steves.html
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by scuba_steves »

Covers are incredibly important. If it's a non-descript cover, like y'all said, it won't first catch your eye. It's like the plain kid in school. They're usually really interesting and/or smart and/or one of the best friends you'll ever have, but because they tend towards being a wallflower, you miss out. It's sad, but it's something all authors worry about and strive to achieve: that cover that is just right. :) Gotta play the market. Gotta get into the buyer's mind. :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”