Do you like lending out your books to others?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Vanjikkodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Re: Do you like lending out your books to others?

Post by Vanjikkodi »

I find lending/borrowing a book to be intimate act. I don't know if its a good thing but I like to highlight favorite lines from the books I read. I also write down my comments in a paper as I read a book in case I would like to lend it to one of my friends to read. It makes me happy to know that my friend will maybe understand me better by getting to know how I feel and what I think about certain things in the book.
BUT I would always, always like to have my book back, be it within a week, a month, a year or even ten.
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexgrav.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by AlexGrav »

I do lend out my books to friends for the sake of friendship, and some of them I even get back. :-( I've learned not to lend out anything that costs more than $10.00 or that has a hard cover.
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

I never keep my books. I read them then send them off to someone else. I never read the same book twice. Far to many books in this world to read!
Kaylyn_Marie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Eater of Gods
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylyn-marie.html
Latest Review: H.O.E Hustle Over Everything by Samantha Camel
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kaylyn_Marie »

Only to individuals I trust and even then I keep a log of who borrowed what book and when.

I have had a terrible experience with lending books and it has made me feel a lot more reserved when lending books. My friend borrowed my copy of Where the Crawdads Sing and she returned it with the spine broken, a page torn, and a coffee stain on the cover. I was DEVASTATED.
~The Tatted Reader :reading-3:
Angie Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1071
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angie-fernandez.html
Latest Review: Level 1 Decodable Phonics Reader-Short Vowels by Sara Gross

Post by Angie Fernandez »

Unfortunately, I have learned from past experiences and now only lend out books that I am not emotionally attached to or do not mind not having returned. Despite labeling my books, they often do not make their way back to me or are returned in poor condition.
Kaylyn_Marie
Currently Reading: The Eater of Gods
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylyn-marie.html
Latest Review: H.O.E Hustle Over Everything by Samantha Camel
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kaylyn_Marie »

Honestly, that's a good boundary to have. I've had horrible experiences lending out books and I've learned my lesson. I think I'll start lending again but use the $10 suggestion as my new rule.
AlexGrav wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 11:33 I do lend out my books to friends for the sake of friendship, and some of them I even get back. :-( I've learned not to lend out anything that costs more than $10.00 or that has a hard cover.
~The Tatted Reader :reading-3:
devtastic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442

Post by devtastic »

There are books I keep specifically to pass on. They struck me at a specific time in my life, but I will never go back and reread. And then... I have mourned the loss of innocently letting someone borrow a book that never got returned, just to fruitlessly search for it when I wanted to reread it that I now hoard a great deal of my books like it's the only chocolate left in the world.

PARTICULARLY, once I have a complete series. That gets into sacred ground with me.
Leane Vorster
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales of H.P. Lovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 646
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leane-vorster.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by Leane Vorster »

I am careful to lend out books to just anyone and will not usually offer to lend them out unless they are already dog eared and the spine cracked (usually books I bought second hand or have read 10s of times). There are some exceptions to this - my best friend, mom and grandma are always welcome to lend books and I will occasionally even suggest it to them as I know they all look after my books and I get them back in the same condition.
Seetha E
Currently Reading: Now or Never
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Seetha E »

No, I would not. There are abt a handful who I know will care for the book as much as I do, and I do exchange books with them. I did share one of my kid's books once and I came back tattered and...
I don't like it when the books given to read and return are not returned. So it is either give it away for good or don't share with anyone out of the inner circle.
Susan Ledezma
Favorite Book: Monsters Born and Made
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-ledezma.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by Susan Ledezma »

I do not like lending out my personal books to others. However, if I know and trust the person I do lend the book out, but I'm extremely careful with who I trust. Another exception is if I recommend a book to someone and want them to read it, but once again I have to really trust that person first.
“Great books help you understand, and they help you feel understood.” -John Green :techie-studyinggray:
Adair McClain
Currently Reading: Madhouse
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adair-lee.html
Latest Review: Freefalling by Eme McAnam

Post by Adair McClain »

It depends on who wants to borrow it. And it is generally based on how they've treated previous books. My best friend could borrow books any time and I know I'd get them back in the same shape as when I lent them. My (ex) sister-in-law has borrowed before, and her dog chomped on one. Accidents happen, but this wasn't acknowledged and there was no offer of replacement. I'll just recommend books now rather than lend.
Andrea Diaz Granya
Favorite Book: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Andrea Diaz Granya »

I dislike lending my treasures to others because I spend money on buying the book with the perfect cover and sometimes really expensive colectionist editions and I like to take really care of them and I'm afraid of lending the book to someone who is not going to take good care of it and it's going to twist the pages or break the edges of it. Definetly that would be one of my worst nightmares!
Susann Heidy Castro Garnica
Currently Reading: Angel of Death
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susann-heidy-castro-garnica.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Susann Heidy Castro Garnica »

No, most of the time my friends and family members forget to return them, so if I "agree" to lend a book, I secretly say goodbye to the book before delivering it, and I only "lend" it if the person is very dear to me, otherwise is a firm NO.
Geremew Dubale
Currently Reading: The Faith of Helen Keller
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Geremew Dubale »

yes if it helps them and i found it as important
Danna Vergara
Favorite Book: Diary
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danna-vergara.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Bowling Ball Bombing by Kordel Lentine

Post by Danna Vergara »

Absolutely not, I have a lot of bad experiences because of that.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”