Do you like lending out your books to others?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jay Peter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-peter.html
Latest Review: Champagne Widows by Rebecca Rosenberg

Re: Do you like lending out your books to others?

Post by Jay Peter »

there is only two people I have lend books to and that was only because they are my best friends and I know they would return them. I do not like to lend out anything because 95% of the time I do not get them back and being an big reader it is a must that I have all my books.
Nina Vanderbilt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-vanderbilt.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nina Vanderbilt »

I don't like lending my books to others because people forget to return them, people lost them, and people destroy them -_- I can lend my book to my parents or my boyfriend because I know they have respect for books.
Hannah Oakey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-oakey.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B09BFPTTV4

Post by Hannah Oakey »

I do like lending books to friends and family and can't wait to hear their opinion of them. But if they take too long to read something then I find that I have to drop less than subtle hints for them to hurry up and read it so that I can have it back. I lent my friend the Bridgerton book series about 5/6 months ago, she still hasn't read them yet and I am starting to get frustrated. Am I the only one who does that?
Scott Fling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott-fling.html
Latest Review: GOD'S PLAN FOR YOU: 21-DAY DEVOTIONAL by Tim Outlaw

Post by Scott Fling »

I do lend out my books to friends for the sake of friendship, and some of them I even get back. :-( I've learned not to lend out anything that costs more than $10.00 or that has a hard cover.
Ma Leonarda Castañares
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-leonarda-casta-ares.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Ma Leonarda Castañares »

My books are full of annotations so NO. I could never reveal my inner thoughts and feelings to someone.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Favour Alade Boluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riam333.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Favour Alade Boluwatife »

Some people might not return the book so I see no reason in lending my book out. But if this person is someone close to me I'll surely lend the book out
Carlos Mata Saenz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I used to until I had couple of bad experiences with people who never gave them back/lost them. After that I spent years without lending any book (or anything else), now I have started to do it again (but keeping a list of who has what).
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexgrav.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by AlexGrav »

I'm kind of OCD about the condition of my books, especially my favorites, so I tend to be EXTREMELY hesitant about lending them (if I do at all, which I usually don't). The exception to this is that there was a used book store in my area that for a while had a "free shelf" of books they weren't selling. Most of them were pretty beaten up, and they were all marked with a scribble on the cover, so those I don't so much mind lending out.
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:

Post by AlexGrav »

If someone lends me a book of theirs, I take care of it because I know I would want the same for my books. Unfortunately I have had 3 experiences where that is not the case. Book comes back with a stained page, a corner damaged cover and even worse, when they highlight YOUR BOOK. Nuh uh. Don't lend out and if I ever decided to, I'm charging.
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:

Post by AlexGrav »

I do not like lending books to others. Generally, I do not get rid of books ever; however, if I know for a fact that I will not read that particular book again, then I'll give it to a friend or family member. Not lend, but give. That takes any pressure off. Also, if someone says they'll "lend " me a book, I'd rather buy it myself. I have also had the privilege of receiving many books that people are passing on as a gift to me
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:

Post by AlexGrav »

I do lend out my books to friends for the sake of friendship, and some of them I even get back. :-( I've learned not to lend out anything that costs more than $10.00 or that has a hard cover.
Prosper Chukwuemeka 1
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Prosper Chukwuemeka 1 »

No, they don't seem to value it.
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

Unfortunately due to a bad experience, I no longer lend books to friends or even family for that matter! I have one friend who will religiously return anything she has borrowed, but that is where my list ends. I had a book that belonged to my father that we spoke about at length about just how good it is (I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes). He gave it to me a little while before he passed away, so I have meaning attached to that specific book. My daughter offered it to her boyfriend's mom to read, thinking we could become great friends and bond over books. I am still waiting for my book! I have a suspicion she lent it to someone else.
Autumn Barbur
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: When We Had Wings
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-autumn-barbur.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Autumn Barbur »

I always have a desire to share books I have enjoyed with others; however, my experiences with lending books have not been great. Several books I have loaned to others have not been returned - one was lost, another sold, and the rest were just never mentioned again. I think the most frustrating thing about lending a book to someone is hearing that they haven't even read the book. Now I loan my books out only if I don't care if they are returned or not.
Ash Subra
Favorite Book: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash-subra.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Ash Subra »

I do like to lending my books to people I know. I feel like lending book is sharing the knowledge. But I only lending my book to people who value books.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”