Do you like lending out your books to others?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-123.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Re: Do you like lending out your books to others?

Post by Aisha_123 »

Only to a few selected individuals that have proven that they are worthy enough for my books to be given to them. Apart from them, no I do not like lending out books.
M Breath
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by M Breath »

I don’t like lending out my books as they never return. If your lending out your books your not supporting the writer for their hard work and talent.
chiadeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiadeer.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by chiadeer »

I love lending books to others so they can enjoy them too! I got my old neighbor hooked on Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, which are VERY long books. She started reading them right before her first daughter was born and then slowed down her reading significantly. I forgot she had one and saw her yesterday and she said she was about halfway through the last one i lent her. I laughed and told her not to worry, let me know when she's ready for the next one.
JennyorAlice
Currently Reading: Tales of the Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 151

Post by JennyorAlice »

It depends on if I think the person will return it in good condition or not (or not return it at all). If I don't think I will get it back or it will be damaged, then you couldn't get me to part with that book.
Nightreaderx
Currently Reading: Unhinged
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Nightreaderx »

I loan my books to my best friend, but he also offers to loan me his (not that I take him up on his offers. That is the only person I am comfortable with lending to. I have loaned a book to my old teacher before and I did not get it back for about a year (I had to remind her). I have also leant out some back in high school and they either did not return them and said they were theirs, OR the books came back a little damaged. This is why I only loan them to him now.
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I think it depends on a person’s character. If they’ve demonstrated to me that they can’t be trusted, I obviously won’t give them anything I own (books included). However, I’m perfectly willing to lend books to close friends, especially when I think they would really like it.
Lefrog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lefrog »

You can have my paperbacks but, leave my hardcovers alone.
Inmortalbooklover
Currently Reading: Glass Sword
Bookshelf Size: 46

Post by Inmortalbooklover »

I don´t like lending books because I don´t trust they won´t be damaged. But I don´t mind lending them to my close friends who love books as much as me because I know they will be careful with them
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

My experience has been that I have never gotten back the book I lended someone. So I am usually warry. But I can lend one to a friend I trust.
kelso9326
Favorite Book: Life Expectancy
Currently Reading: Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelso9326.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by kelso9326 »

I hate lending books to people. I only do it for people who I'd trust with my life. My brother begged me to lend him my Harry Potter books. He has had them for like 2 years and it's super annoying. Thankfully I know they're safe but I hope I get them back soon.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I never say no to lending my books, but I get anxious every time haha
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

I don't mind at all. I like to share the book so I can let another person enjoy the book. Although, my favorite book on greek mythology, I have two copies of. One is for lending out, mainly because I want to be able to grab my copy whenever I feel the need! Haha.
celtsshade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by celtsshade »

I loaned a book to my neighbor/friend as a teen and he completely made up an erotic/rape scene that never happened and did a book report on it which had a teacher calling his mother and then his mother calling my mother. Thankfully, right before him, I had loaned it to my adult sister who backed me up saying no such scene existed. My dad still took the book and read it. Last time I ever loaned any books out and also started putting distance between my neighbor since it weirded me out!
Grateful_00

Post by Grateful_00 »

I usually do not like to lend my books because once I gave a schoolmate of mine 3 books and she ruined all 3 of them. Since then I've been too careful in lending my books. Anyone who wants a book from me gets a detailed set of rules on how to keep it. They usually call me weird for acting like that but I don't care. Books are important! Plus I'm not very good at saying no because it's rude.
So yeah occasionally I lend books to my friends who are responsible enough to keep them safe.

PS : sharing books = sharing knowledge.
:D
Grateful_00

Post by Grateful_00 »

Inkroverts wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 04:10 I never say no to lending my books, but I get anxious every time haha
Yes. I can totally relate. :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”