Which do you prefer? Kindle, Nook, Paperback or Hardback?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
BooksBooty
Bookshelf Size: 0

Which do you prefer? Kindle, Nook, Paperback or Hardback?

Post by BooksBooty »

I have a kindle fire HD and I love it. The screen is nice and clear and love that it could store thousands of books. But I also love paperback and hardcovers. Sometimes, I love and need to feel the pages of the book. It makes me...I dont know...as if I am more connected to the story.

How about everyone else? :?:
kat6496
Favorite Author: Liza Palmer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1314">The Disappearing Girl</a>
Currently Reading: Electric Barracuda - Tim Dorsey
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat6496.html
Latest Review: "Alias Corey Sutton" by Rusty Savage
fav_author_id: 6497

Post by kat6496 »

I guess I'm a bit old-fashioned, but I love the crisp pages and the smell of a book. (I know, weird) I can't get into the Kindles and Nooks of the world. I have the Kindle app for times that I'm stuck somewhere and need a book, or to read PDF and HTML books provided here for reviews. I just LOVE, LOVE books...the real thing! I like pretty hardbacks minus dust covers, but I'm really not partial to paperback over hardback.
Latest Review: "Alias Corey Sutton" by Rusty Savage
kurmudkin
Favorite Author: Isaac Asminov
Favorite Book: Foundation

Post by kurmudkin »

Completely agree with you there kat6496. In a pinch the ebook has its place, but something about opening up a book and having a shelf (or in many cases a room) full of books just comes with a sense of fulfillment and appreciation you can't emulate with a list of electronic files on a tablet.
Tigania
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tigania.html
Latest Review: "The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell

Post by Tigania »

I love my books in either hardcover or paperback. And I have to agree, nothing like having a bookshelf (or room!) full of books. I think a room looks more comfortable and lived in with books strewn around. The Kindle does have it's place...it's much easier to stick in a purse for reading in the waiting room at the doctor's office.
Latest Review: "The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

I refer hardback...but also have a Kindle for my purse for travel/waiting for the transit.
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Deyvion
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deyvion.html

Post by Deyvion »

Although I mostly read e-books these days, I still prefer the physical books over the electronic ones. For some reason, I have a harder time focusing on the text when reading it as an e-book. I have noticed this as some of my literature for school is in e-book format.
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

I much prefer my Kindle Touch for reading because I can easily hold it no matter how many pages the story has and no pages closing on my thumb! If I could get every book in Kindle version I would no longer read paper books,except for those coffe table type photo books[travel,ect] since E-ink is not color compatible,and I will only consider an E-ink[not color] Ereader for the eye comfort in reading.I prefer paperbacks if a book is not available in Kindle edition,never have liked hardcovers.
brittanyyannn

Post by brittanyyannn »

My preference is Hardback. But, for convenience and being out in public and carrying a book on me (in my purse) I would much rather the kindle/nook. It's easy to hold and just seems more convenient.
TD Matzenik
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Too many
Currently Reading: Ulysses by James Joyce

Post by TD Matzenik »

I spend 'way too much time in front of electronic monitors. No matter how I adjust the back-lighting, the damn things make my eyes hurt, and as you get older this becomes more important. So, if I am reading out of interest I would prefer a regular book. Also, I like the craft of book binding, printing and layout.
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

The E-ink Kindle and Kindle Paperwhite are not backlit at all like tablets,including the Kindle Fires,and computers are. I know reading on my Kindle Touch is actually soothing to my eyes after spending time on the computer.
rainydayrun
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rainydayrun.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by rainydayrun »

Paperback because they are usually cheaper, smaller, lighter. I find reading them relaxing. I don't get the same effect from reading a kindle even though I like the convenience of getting ebooks instantly.
Katie9140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie9140.html

Post by Katie9140 »

Either hardcover or paperback, but I cannot adjust to the E-readers. One of the reasons I love reading is to separate myself from all electronic devices. I also prefer tangible books so that I can share them with friends or donate them after I have finished reading them.
LunaRowan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Letters from a Bipolar Mother (Chronicles of A Fractured Life)</a>
Currently Reading: Mightier Than the Sword (The Clifton Chronicles, #5)
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunarowan.html

Post by LunaRowan »

Hardbacks!!!! With paperbacks in close second. ;) I love the feel and smell of a real book and have never had the urge to read eBooks. I'll stick with a good old-fashioned hardcover!
Isabell

Post by Isabell »

I prefer to read book where i can flip the page and not have to worry about battery life. Specifically I like to read paper back books because they are easier to hold and they are not so heavy.
sblake
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sblake.html
Latest Review: "Raven" by Vasyl Shkliar

Post by sblake »

I was a Hardcore ANTI-KINDLE fanatic....until I got my first tablet. Now I have hundreds of books at my fingertips and keep adding more. I especially love "night mode" so I can read late without waking up my husband. That is the BEST!
Latest Review: "Raven" by Vasyl Shkliar

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”