What Do You Do With A Book When Your Done Reading it

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
AlexisReed
Favorite Author: Zora Neale Hurston
Favorite Book: Their Eyes Was Watching God
Currently Reading: The Coldest Winter Ever
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexisreed.html

What Do You Do With A Book When Your Done Reading it

Post by AlexisReed »

I tend to keep mine on the shelves, but some of my friends give them away, donate them or sometimes sell them? I once knew someone who just threw them away!!!

Do you ever re-read a book again?
Linkhorn

Post by Linkhorn »

Depends on the type of book. We don't generally keep paperbacks, they have a short lifespan anyhow and aren't really worth keeping. We give them to friends, and occasionally take a dozen or so to the local cafe or (when we're in England) an Oxfam bookshop to free up space. These are often the ones my wife or I showed an interest in after the other read them, but we haven't read after a year or so and probably won't bother with.

The exceptions are books for work, that I want to reference, or that are rare and we might not be able to find a copy of in future should we want to.

If I do want to read a book again (which happens quite often, normally with more than 5 years between readings), or think my children will enjoy it one day, I generally buy a hardback copy, which is what our shelves are full of. These just sit there collecting dust and looking pretty until such time as anyone wants to read them.
"We travel not for trafficking alone; By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned." J.E.F.
tracy19
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy19.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh

Post by tracy19 »

I save it on a separate folder on my laptop
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Once I've read a book it either goes on my bookshelf because I intend to read it or because I loved the book so much I can't countenance parting with it. Otherwise, after it has done the rounds of friends and coworkers, it goes to the Oxfam bag.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Bananacat
Favorite Author: Too many to decide
Favorite Book: Any book on the market
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bananacat.html
Latest Review: "The Gift of Life" by Keily j. adey

Post by Bananacat »

I also keep my books when I have finished reading them. :-) Most of my friends find it weird but I will re-read my books generally more than once depending on how much I enjoyed them the first time. My friends feel that re-reading books is a waste because you already know how the book will end. I find this isn't the case because I read so much that keeping track of the exact endings of all my books is impossible so I when I re-read books I generally only have a vague idea of what happened. :-)
Latest Review: "The Gift of Life" by Keily j. adey
casper
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casper.html
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons

Post by casper »

Some books are worth a second read, especially if I've read it fast to find out what happens next, so I'll keep those on the book shelf to go back to. If It's a book that I don't think I will get anymore out of after the first read, I'll give it to family or friends or a charity shop.
Latest Review: "The Sanctuary" by Cassandra R. Siddons
julianfroment

Post by julianfroment »

I tend to keep pretty much all of my books, storing them on an ever increasing number of bookshelves lining the walls of the house. I almost never get rid of a book, in any way. I often want to read a book again, or at least have access to it to refresh my mind on certain points.
m_buckner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-buckner.html

Post by m_buckner »

I do re-read books that impact me or that I just find truly enjoyable. I keep those on the bookshelf, others I trade at the used book store.
jsinard42
Favorite Author: Joseph delaney
Favorite Book: The Host
Currently Reading: Revenge of the Witch
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsinard42.html
fav_author_id: 6470

Post by jsinard42 »

I either keep mine or sell them, assuming that I've bought the book rather than borrowing it from the library. If it's an snooker I might delete depending on whether I enjoyed the story or not.
Heather
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander series
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather.html
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by Heather »

They go on my shelf. I read my favorites over and over. Very rarely I give away or sell back a book that I really didn't like. Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean someone else won't.
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
urica
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urica.html

Post by urica »

I keep the books that i fell in love with. I give away other books to those who would appreciate them.
SarahPapesh
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahpapesh.html
Latest Review: "Life is a Circus Run by a Platypus" by Allison Hawn

Post by SarahPapesh »

I have never been able to re-read a book unless it was required or I had completely forgotten that I read it. No matter how much time had passed since I last read it, I just don't enjoy re-reading books, even my favorites - which is odd, considering I sure do love to have them on hand and let them pile up, just taking up space. Hmm - perhaps I need to re-evaluate my routine.
Latest Review: "Life is a Circus Run by a Platypus" by Allison Hawn
Sine_Ni_Ceallach
Currently Reading: The Iliad by Homer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sine-ni-ceallach.html

Post by Sine_Ni_Ceallach »

I don't usually buy a book unless it's one that I really want to have in my collection and there's a high likelihood I'd read it again. However, I have bought the odd book that I didn't enjoy, and I would either trade it in to our local used-book store, or I might try and sell it.
"I could not be sure she was sane; and, in fact, there was a certain restless brilliancy about her eyes that half led me to imagine she was not." -Edgar Allan Poe
sugarbearmama
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: the regulators
Currently Reading: the mists of avalon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sugarbearmama.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by sugarbearmama »

Normally I keep the ones I absolutely loved for instance my odd Thomas collection that's mine aNd no one else gets them ! But other books I've read more than once I eventually give it to the local nursing home or school library. I used to work in the nursing home and let me tell ya they don't have the best selection of books and hardly ever get rotated if at all so it's nice to give them something different to read and the library well just call it charity I guess. I know they'll be read eventually so there ya have it.
Tigania
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tigania.html
Latest Review: "The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell

Post by Tigania »

I keep mine, because I do re-read quite often. Although the ones I borrow from the library, I do return. They get a little miffed if I keep them. ;)
Latest Review: "The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”