Can you remember learning to read? Or no memories of it?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Disquisitive
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-disquisitive.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Can you remember learning to read? Or no memories of it?

Post by Disquisitive »

Do you have any memories of learning how to read, i.e. can you personally remember being taught to read at school/home?

Or is it something you know you must have learned when you were young but can't really remember how it happened?

I remember being taught to read at school at age 6, I was old enough that I can clearly remember the transition from not reading to reading. I was wondering if most people have memories of learning to read also, or maybe if you learned younger were you too young to remember?
ms_vinkel
Currently Reading: The Stranger
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-vinkel.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by ms_vinkel »

I remember being taught the alphabets and how each letter must sound. Recognizing the letters is the first step to reading. Next they taught us simple words with pictures: a for apple, b for boy, c for cat... Then I also remember being taught diphthongs and how two consonants like "ch", "th", "bl", and similar combinations will sound. Then, reading comprehension exercises.
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

I remember being taught to read in school when I was a child.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

I remember while I was in junior school while I was learning to read. I can still cherish the memories.
Catreeves16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catreeves16.html
Latest Review: No Reprieve: by Inge-Lise Goss
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Catreeves16 »

I just remember being really young and my older sister sitting with me (i think she taught me). It was some small book about a zoo with the animals gathered around a clock at some point. I have always carried books around since!
EmmaZ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by EmmaZ »

I remember very clearly sitting on my grandad's lap in his armchair whilst he taught me to read. I had a lot of difficulty in pronouncing the 'r' sound, and my grandad used to make up all sort of games for me to learn how to say it! I'm proud to say that they worked.
AgentJay007
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Elfkin Journals: Blending of the Races
Bookshelf Size: 24
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by AgentJay007 »

It helped that when I was much younger, there were a lot of novels in my home back then, though a bit advanced for my age. Also my class was right beside the library and asides the fixed library time in our class schedule, I lived going to read all those children stories back then, especially Enid Blyton๐Ÿ˜Š
AgentJay007
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Elfkin Journals: Blending of the Races
Bookshelf Size: 24
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by AgentJay007 »

It helped that when I was much younger, there were a lot of novels in my home back then, though a bit advanced for my age. Also my class was right beside the library and asides the fixed library time in our class schedule, I loved going to read all those children stories back then, especially Enid Blyton๐Ÿ˜Š
Mariesg
Currently Reading: Detention of Doom
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariesg.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Mariesg »

I don't really remember anything in general from when I was very young. I remember bits and pieces but not a lot really. My parents said they would read to me and my first book related memory was when I bought books from the Scholastic Book Orders at my school. I always loved those and I remember I wasn't really going to buy anything at first but my teacher encouraged me and that was all the push I needed to fall into the world of reading. However, my journey started earlier than that I just can't remember it unfortunately. Still, it's so great that you can all remember these precious memories! :) That's really cool. One thing's for certain, if I have kids, whether they grow up to remember it or not, I want to instill in them a love for reading and teach them how to read from a young also.

It's so nice seeing everyone's different experiences. It reminds me of how reading connects everyone and is something to be loved.
Essywa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essywa.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Post by Essywa »

Yes in nursery class.later in the evening my mom would come back from work and help me revise what we were taught during the day.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

No, unfortunately. However, I do remember the first time I read consistently.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Disquisitive wrote: โ†‘21 Jul 2020, 10:18 Do you have any memories of learning how to read, i.e. can you personally remember being taught to read at school/home?

Or is it something you know you must have learned when you were young but can't really remember how it happened?

I remember being taught to read at school at age 6, I was old enough that I can clearly remember the transition from not reading to reading. I was wondering if most people have memories of learning to read also, or maybe if you learned younger were you too young to remember?
This is an interesting query.
I honestly do not remember learning to read.
I remember learning the letters of the alphabet and being taught to write in school at the age of 2/3, I remember sneaking novels to school to read at the age of 7. In between though, is a blank.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
monserrat_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monserrat-21.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by monserrat_21 »

I honestly have no recollection of learning how to read. It's just one of those things that I feel like I always knew how to do. In fact, I've always wondered how do you even teach someone how to read? I still don't know the answer.
โ€œThatโ€™s the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet.โ€

Jhumpa Lahiri
megachirops
Currently Reading: Witch Is Where Magic Lives Now (A Witch P.I. Mystery #37)
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by megachirops »

I clearly remember learning to read with the old Dick and Jane books when I started school.
buzy4books
Currently Reading: The Silence of Ray
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reading Device: B07K1RZWMC

Post by buzy4books »

Interesting question! I don't recall even thinking about it before, but no.. I realize I have no recollection of actually learning to read. ๐Ÿ“–

Return to โ€œGeneral Book & Reading Discussionโ€