Do you re-read a series in anticipation of the newest book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Book Drifter
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-drifter.html
Latest Review: "The Yewtree Dominoes" by Cheryl Smith

Re: Do you re-read a series in anticipation of the newest bo

Post by Book Drifter »

I can't imagine waiting for 10 years for a series to finish before I read it! I re-read a series most of the time or just the book before anticipated one.
Latest Review: "The Yewtree Dominoes" by Cheryl Smith
llevine2934
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-llevine2934.html

Post by llevine2934 »

Yes because it gives a better understanding of ideas in the new book. It helps make connections you might have missed
tabIRinribbons1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tabirinribbons1313.html

Post by tabIRinribbons1313 »

Linkhorn wrote:
newlndnfire wrote:I will usually just go on wikipedia and read the summaries of the previous books and I feel that's enough to jump start my memory but if it's been a really long time sometimes I will go back and read the previous novels.
Exactly the same. I do watch previous movies though, the details don't stick in your mind as well as a book.
You are the first person I have heard say this. My daughter gives me so much grief for watching movies so many times. I do read series over but only if I have really loved them. I also love spoilers, which I know is weird but they just get me excited to get to the spoiler. I like to discuss book themes and story arcs and the possible conclusion to the foreshadowing leads.

So each book feels like an old friend so sometimes I read them over before meeting a new friend.
sony27

Post by sony27 »

Yes I do reread and book before because I might forget some important details that happened in the other book but I try to stay away from series that are unfinished once they are done I read the book
kassie_2000
Favorite Author: Kelly Link
Favorite Book: Tinkers
Currently Reading: Black Swan Green
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kassie-2000.html
fav_author_id: 5517

Post by kassie_2000 »

I also like to wait for a series to finish before I start to read it, otherwise I'm left anxiously anticipating the release of the next book! If I do read part of a series first, however, I've gone back and re-read the first book(s) before reading the last books. I read the first three "Harry Potter" books when they came out, then waited until all seven books were finished before going back and reading the series from the beginning. Binge-read the whole series in about two weeks! LOVE BINGE-READING.
batessurveys
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batessurveys.html

Post by batessurveys »

Every time. If I've already read the first books in a series before the newest one comes out, I'll reread every one before I read the next one. I do the same thing with movies, too!
Dariaddpmb

Post by Dariaddpmb »

All the time!!
prican11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prican11.html

Post by prican11 »

This is really bad but I am usually too impatient to begin the next book in the series to reread.
slbrown0414
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slbrown0414.html

Post by slbrown0414 »

I do not re read the books but if the series has a movie, I will rewatch
KayB

Post by KayB »

It depends. If the series is one that I was really into, then I might take the time to go back. Honestly, I'm super excited about the next book that I just jump in. And if I'm not excited, then I probably wasn't into that series enough to begin with.and might not even go on to the next book.
sparkey35

Post by sparkey35 »

I will usually read the last few chapters of the book just previous to the new one, unless it's been a long time. Then I will reread the book in entirety.
randomreader
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomreader.html

Post by randomreader »

Yes, I re-read each Harry Potter book before the movie came out.
NCReaderGirl
Favorite Author: JR Ward Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: Island of the Blue Dolphins
Currently Reading: Ignite

Post by NCReaderGirl »

I did for the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, I think I've now read them all no less than 12 times...might be more for the earlier books! I may re-read them when The King comes out in the Spring.
augusteh
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-augusteh.html

Post by augusteh »

I read author's work in chronological order regardless of whether it's been deemed a "series". And I find that when true "series" are converted to movies like Stieg Larsson's Dragon Tattoo series that I watch them over and over in order. It's easier than going back to the books especially when the adaptations are done well!
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

Several responders have said that they wait until the whole series is out before they read any of the books. That astounds me.

The harry Potter books were published over the course of a decade. Stephen King's The Dark Tower series ran 22 years from publishing beginning to end - 30 years if you bring in late published filler. I can't imagine putting off reading a book by an author I like (or say an author whose books are getting rave reviews, i.e., rowling) for a decade or two or three.

It also depends on what exactly is meant by a "series". Do you include only multi-volume single stories such as those named above?

For most of my life, I have understood a book series to be on-going characters repeatedly appearing. Tim Dorsey has been writing about Serge Storms for 15 years, Ed McBain wrote about the 87th Precinct for 49 years, and readers were introduced by Agatha Christie to Hercule Poirot and then followed him as he aged and eventually died after 55 years of adventures. (I have to mention Rex Stout and Nero Wolfe too).

These aren't series?

That said, I acquired King's Dark Tower VII just this year almost a decade after publication and 5-7 years after I read VI (Wolves or Susannah). I( re-read the full series.

Amusing to me, for some reason 25 years ago or so, I thought Dark Tower was going to be a trilogy. I don't kniow why. I eagerly dove into Wastelands and 100-150 pages before the end realized it could not be ended in the pages left. Surpirse, disappointment - rage!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”