Scribbling in the margins?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Scorsee
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scorsee.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Re: Scribbling in the margins?

Post by Scorsee »

Sometimes I'll write in books that I'm reading that are non-fiction but not usually the fiction books. I don't like to mar those pages...I like not being affected by thoughts the last time I read the book, so I wouldn't want them scribbled in the margins to reference.
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” -Albus Dumbledore
JASON_READS150
Favorite Author: Mark Zuzak
Favorite Book: The Tale of Desperaux
Currently Reading: I am a Taxi
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jason-reads150.html

Post by JASON_READS150 »

It is a great way to note for a good opinion
W-Harbinger
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-w-harbinger.html
Latest Review: "Branded" by Katie Hamstead

Post by W-Harbinger »

I was never a big fan of writing in books, textbooks or otherwise. However, I did make a habit of using a highlighter to bold passages in certain books. But now that I've gone back and read those books again, I find what I've done annoying.
Latest Review: "Branded" by Katie Hamstead
luluMoon1940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lulumoon1940.html

Post by luluMoon1940 »

I'm not keen on writing in books. I prefer to keep a book journal in which I write notes and quotes and list of books I want to read. Sometimes I do find some interesting comments in the margins of second hand books that I buy. One book I bought had the words "I absolutely hate this book" written inside the front cover. It was a copy of Bleak House.
Book-obsessed
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: Graffiti Moon
Currently Reading: Opal
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-obsessed.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by Book-obsessed »

I don't really like to write in my books, when I have something I'm reading for class I'll write stuff in it (if I own the book) as notes or when I'm doing ebooks. Otherwise I don't like writing in my books
Crap happens; it's inevitable, it's a part of life. You can't let it destroy though, you learn to be stronger and wiser through the crappy things that happen.
readerromance2003
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Favorite Book: Dark Magic
Currently Reading: Red
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerromance2003.html
fav_author_id: 2573

Post by readerromance2003 »

In a text book that I am keeping maybe. But if it is a reading book then no I do not like writing in the margins or getting books that have been written in. I find it distracts from the actual text and I lose my consternation.
prarich
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarich.html
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen

Post by prarich »

I usually avoid writing on books. Used to write in text books, they make a good reminiscence. But I no longer have any of those text books.
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen
saviolo
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saviolo.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by saviolo »

If it's my own book and I've bought it for study, then I'll write all over it. I've got copies of Richard III and Coriolanus that I added hundreds of ideas and production notes in.

I've never done it myself, but I quite like finding comments written in books. Sometimes people correct the author or put in comments like 'Elton disagrees - See 'protest and reform' P123. That's actually quite useful.
cgrice
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgrice.html

Post by cgrice »

I don't usually write in books, although I have written cross-references to verses in the margins of my Bible.
anomalocaris
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier

Post by anomalocaris »

I had to psych myself up to actually mark in the provided "life list" check list in my bird guide! That's the only book I write in.
You can't put a rope around the neck of an idea.
--Vol. Bobby Sands
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

I could never. I'd feel like I was ruining the book. However, I have notebooks for comments and thoughts and cool quotes from books. :P I just don't write in books.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
book_pig
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-pig.html

Post by book_pig »

I bought a book as an eBook a while ago and it ended up being one of my favorites, so I bought it in paperback just so I could write in it like that! But mostly I leave them empty..
toriborip
Favorite Author: Robin Jones Gunn
Currently Reading: The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toriborip.html
fav_author_id: 5926

Post by toriborip »

I have never written in a book. However, I love finding a used book with writing in it. Its like getting to see a book through someone elses eyes. It makes it more fun
Etario
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etario.html

Post by Etario »

I don't think I would be able to write in my books. In my opinion I don't feel like I could do anything of the sort to the book. I try to preserve the book as much as possible.
jfinuy

Post by jfinuy »

Ouch! Okay, for novels and the such. Textbooks, sure. Periodicals, sure. It's a mixed bag answer.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”