Can reading be rude?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Re: Can reading be rude?

Post by Chelsey Coles »

If I was reading first and then other people show up, it is not rude. I was already in my zone. I deserve to be left alone, you see me doing something! :| I hate when people think books are so easy to interrupt.

But, if I am already engaging with others, and then I whip out a book in the middle of it, then that is rude. But if everyone else is one their phone, perhaps it isn't that different. Even though phones are easier for me to tear my attention away from than books are.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

_Delly_01 wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 13:48 Yes, it can be rude to read at certain times, such as dinner or when spending quality time with friends and family. The same thing goes for a mobile phone. But other times, it's a lifesaver. Sense a trivial argument brewing between you and your partner over dishwasher stacking? Pull out a book. Sense an intimidating stranger coming your way at a mostly empty bus stop? Pull out a book. Sense something unforgivable about to happen to your favourite character? Pull out your back-up book.

Ignorance is bliss.
:lol: Yes!! You are so right.

I mostly do it when there is tension in the home that I would rather not be a part of. What do you mean the dishes aren't done? How would I know? I've been reading my room for 46 hours I don't know anything about no dishes... :geek2:
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

I guess it depends on the situation. One time I was out at a bar with some family and there was live music. We noticed a couple in the booth nearby. The woman was enjoying the music while the man was reading the book. Some of my family members felt sorry for her and bought her a drink.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

I guess it would depend on the situation... and the people involved.

For example - If you are at someone birthday party or social gathering they may find it rude if you hunker down and start reading rather than interacting with people.

Or if someone were to start reading while in a long line/Drs office and you get too caught up in your reading to react to being next would be rude.

Or maybe if you start reading out loud haha
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

Ikiri81 wrote: 06 Nov 2013, 15:59 In my opinion, he difference between social media and reading is: reading is a much longer distraction. With social media, it is something that you can tear yourself away or can take a few minutes at a time to do, while in the presence of other people. You can't really do that with reading. How can you read for a minute or two? i wouldn't do it because I can't read for a few minutes at a time and will just stop if I can't continue reading. If i have at least 5 or 10 minutes to read then I will maybe continue where I leave off. Usually I'll just wait until I have more time to devote to reading and instead do something that can fit into the few minutes that i have available.

I completely agree with you. It, unfortunately, has become the norm to glance at our phones while with company and check notifications. But if you are reading a book while with others, and the purpose is to socialize, then you're basically ignoring your companions. However, if travel is involved, then it is not rude.
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

kbsmith11 wrote: 05 Nov 2013, 14:49 Is it ever rude to read instead of interacting with others? When and in what setting? In my opinion it is no more rude then being glued to your phone or social media.

Any other opinions?
It can be rude when you have a friend come visiting but left unattended to. This friend of yours will likely feel bad.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw
Lia A
Favorite Book: Aurora Rising
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lia-a.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Lia A »

It can be rude at times. If you are with friends and family especially. It may give others the impression that you find a book better than talking to them.
“𝓞𝓷𝓮 𝓶𝓾𝓼𝓽 𝓪𝓵𝔀𝓪𝔂𝓼 𝓫𝓮 𝓬𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓸𝓯 𝓫𝓸𝓸𝓴𝓼, 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝔀𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓲𝓼 𝓲𝓷𝓼𝓲𝓭𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓶, 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓭𝓼 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓹𝓸𝔀𝓮𝓻 𝓽𝓸 𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓮 𝓾𝓼.”
― 𝓒𝓪𝓼𝓼𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓻𝓪 𝓒𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮, (𝓒𝓵𝓸𝓬𝓴𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓴 𝓐𝓷𝓰𝓮𝓵)
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

When you are in a company of others, it is indeed rude to read while your companions are chatting. It implies that you are not interested in what they are talking about or you are not interested being in their company.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

No, not at all. Reading is a very good habits and it helps to improve one's personality in many different ways.
azidy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azidy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by azidy »

It definitely depends on the situation. If you're surrounded by people who are trying to interact with you, it's rude to ignore them.

On the other hand, watching TV or using your phone with other people around is no better than reading a book. Sometimes you just have to finish that exciting chapter! :)
EmmaZ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by EmmaZ »

In my opinion, reading is never rude. On the contrary, I would think it rude if someone interrupted me when I was reading! Of course, if I am somewhere where I am supposed to be sociable and I start reading it would be rude, but there are times when my book is just so interesting that I can't resist! 😂
Last edited by EmmaZ on 19 Aug 2020, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.
EmmaZ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by EmmaZ »

Sinclairess wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 10:25 If I was reading first and then other people show up, it is not rude. I was already in my zone. I deserve to be left alone, you see me doing something! :| I hate when people think books are so easy to interrupt.

But, if I am already engaging with others, and then I whip out a book in the middle of it, then that is rude. But if everyone else is one their phone, perhaps it isn't that different. Even though phones are easier for me to tear my attention away from than books are.
I completely agree with you! I hate it when I'm peacefully reading and someone interrupts me and tries to talk to me. But it would be as rude to pull out a book than to pull out a phone if you're at a social gathering, I think.
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Eunice Geres »

Maybe? I usually read in school because I don't want to interact with my classmates. And I think sometimes it bothers them that I don't want to talk to anyone.
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

I think its rude if your reading when your supposed to be enjoying other people's company. It is similar to being on your phone during dinner.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin
Essywa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essywa.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Post by Essywa »

Yes it can be rude when you are together with other people maybe they are holding conversations and you are busy reading and they expect you to contribute.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”