Do you feel guilty if you don't finish reading a book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Re: Do you feel guilty if you don't finish reading a book?

Post by Scerakor »

Guilt is maybe not the right word, but I am definitely the kind of person who will try his hardest to finish a book that he starts, regardless of if I am enjoying it or not. Nasty habit, I know.
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

No, sometimes a book just doesn't turn out to be as good as I originally thought it would be, and I just can't bear the thought of finishing it just for the sake of completion.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

Yes, very guilty. I feel like I failed in completing an important task. If I don't finish a book, then I don't see the point in saying I read it or I read part of it. I either read it all or I don't read it at all.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
hazelk

Post by hazelk »

No never, I just move on to another that grabs me.
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

No. The only reason I don't finish books is because they are boring or poorly edited and written and that's not something I can feel guilty about.
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Buchacha21 »

It is VERY rarely that I don't finish a book, so when I choose to not finish a book, it's because I really hate it. I feel absolutely no guilt quitting a book because I hate it - I don't want to waste my time reading garbage when there are SO many good books to read out there!
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

I used to feel terribly guilty if I didn't finish a book and usually forced myself to read the whole thing even if I wasn't enjoying it. I guess I thought maybe it would get better if I kept going. Sometimes it did and sometimes it didn't. Also, a trip to the library or book store was necessary to get books in my younger years!

Nowadays, I don't feel at all guilty about not finishing a book if I'm not enjoying it. Books are a lot more easily available now than they were when I was younger with being able to purchase them over the internet.

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
hazelk

Post by hazelk »

Never feel guilty, I know what I like and I just move on till I find one that suits.
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

Yes...sure I do feel guilty when that happens to me. In some cases, I struggle and ensure I finish such
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

I have a question. I picked a book for a review some time ago, but I couldn't finish it because it was hard for me to read it. Can I go back, finish it, and post a review of it?
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

I have a wide variety of literary tastes, so the only time that I put a book down without finishing it is if it is so boring that I am falling asleep while reading. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I always feel like something is wrong. Like there is something unnatural about leaving a story in the middle.
Xenolyph
Currently Reading: Flowers in the Attic
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xenolyph.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Xenolyph »

I have finally gotten past feeling guilty about not finishing a book. I want to enjoy my time reading and finishing a book I don't enjoy isn't worth it to me.
VISHWA129
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishwa129.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by VISHWA129 »

Don't feel guilty! I'm usually able to avoid this, because I really make sure to read books that I think I will enjoy, and over the years I've gotten pretty good at deciding which books will suit my taste through a little research. The last book I didn't finish was about a year ago, and I have plans to get back into it! If you really don't want to finish a book, however, I promise it's not the end of the world. We are readers because reading gives us enjoyment, but not every book is meant for us, and that's perfectly alright. At the end of the day, you can just acknowledge that you and the book were not meant to be, and part ways agreeably :)
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

Xenolyph wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 20:35 I have finally gotten past feeling guilty about not finishing a book. I want to enjoy my time reading and finishing a book I don't enjoy isn't worth it to me.
This applies to me as well. I don't feel guilty. I just dump if I don't like.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw
Birthright06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-birthright06.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Birthright06 »

I do. I mean, authors pours their heart and soul writing the books (and they write it for months/ years). But unfortunately some are badly written, that it's hard to finish it. But I'd love to finish every book I read (as much as I can).

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”