What famous/popular story have you not read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Helga_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Re: What famous/popular story have you not read?

Post by Helga_ »

prisailurophile wrote:Harry Potter series. I have yet to tackle the classics, as well! Oh, and The Book Thief. So many books, so little time...
Same here. I just can't get into fantasy genres. I don't feel I'm missing out on anything, tho, just because there's a huge following. Rather, I do feel I should branch out and try out different things.
Ikiri81
Currently Reading: The Aeronaut's Windlass
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikiri81.html

Post by Ikiri81 »

Game of thrones. I am almost caught up with season 3. I do not know if I will be able to stay interested with the whole war, historical aspect in books.
goldengate
Favorite Author: Truman Capote
Favorite Book: Music for Chameleons
Currently Reading: Tipping the Velvet -The Sixth Extinction
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B01M6YJEAH
fav_author_id: 2834

Post by goldengate »

I am ashamed to say I never read 1984 by Orwell nor have I read William Faulkner... I have several Faulkner in my library so I will get around to it. I just read Jack London, F. Scott Fitzgerald. Flannery O'Connor. I am working on it.... I will get around to all the classics - Oh, I never read Dante's Inferno.
"I have always imagined Paradise to be a sort of Library." Jorge Louis Borges
Craigable
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craigable.html
Latest Review: "How To NOT Get A Job" by Charlene Holsendorff

Post by Craigable »

The only unread classic still on my radar is War and Peace. The others can all stew in their juices.
Latest Review: "How To NOT Get A Job" by Charlene Holsendorff
buddyroo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buddyroo.html
Latest Review: "Planetary Assault" by David VanDyke, Vaughn Heppner, BV Larson

Post by buddyroo »

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I tried to read it when I was younger and I just couldn't get into it for some reason. I stopped reading a few chapters in and I have never come back to it. I have it on my Kindle to read, but I still haven't opened it up. I don't know why. Old perceptions stick with us I guess.

-- 15 Nov 2013, 11:17 --

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I tried to read it when I was younger and I just couldn't get into it for some reason. I stopped reading a few chapters in and I have never come back to it. I have it on my Kindle to read, but I still haven't opened it up. I don't know why. Old perceptions stick with us I guess.
Latest Review: "Planetary Assault" by David VanDyke, Vaughn Heppner, BV Larson
prican11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prican11.html

Post by prican11 »

The Series of Unfortunate Events
prisailurophile
Favorite Author: Ian McEwan
Favorite Book: Matilda by Roald Dahl
Currently Reading: Underground by Murakami
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisailurophile.html
fav_author_id: 2508

Post by prisailurophile »

Mainly the classics. And Harry Potter!
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

i was going to say "Most.", just because there are so many, many famous and popular books. In fact, I will say "most".

A few examples:
I too never finished Tolstoy's "War and Peace", but I have read Dostoyevsky's "Crime and Punishment", "The Idiot", and "Anna Karenina", Pasternak's "Doctor Zhivago" , Solzhenitzen's " A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" and "Gulag Archipelago" and Bulgakov's "The Master and margarita". How many Russian novels does a man have to read?

I never even considered books like Hunger Games or Fifty Shades. i've read Studs Terkel but never his magnum opus "Work". I've read two books by Philip Roth, two by Joseph Heller, and three by Tom Wolfe. That leaves out a lot.

I read and enjoy Shakespeare but have struggled with Marlowe - I know Faust but not his version. Never finished "Satanic Verses" even though I really liked Rushdie's writing.

I would never have read any harry Potter, considering them children's or "young adult" had not a woman I respect and admire lent me a copy of the first with her recommendation.

I have read "Trout Fishing in America" and "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". and other weirdo 60's books.

Yes, I am sure I have not read most popular or famous books available. Oh well.
Mom2Grey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mom2grey.html

Post by Mom2Grey »

After two aborted attempts years ago, I will once again take up 'The Count of Monte Cristo' and I plan to read it right through to the end this time. No distractions, no excuses.
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

As to Shakespeare:

"Ive never read any of Shakespeare, like ginnydoll I couldnt get past the language."

Just like a snowy sidewalk, you have to push through it. IMNHO (that's never humble opinion), it will be worth it.

There are several different annotated versions of the plays available and modern movie versions to read alongwith. The annotated versions will probably ex-plain all or most of what you don't understand, watching a movie version will give you a feel for tempo and delivery.

You could watch Hamlet with kenneth Banagh or such other noted Shakespeareans as Mel Gibson or Ethan Hawke. Titus Andronicus with Anthony Hopkins is coldly horrifying. I really dug the Leo D. Romeo and Juliet by Baz Luhrman. Ian MacKellan's turn as Richard, rankest of villains is worth seeing more than once.

These have to be good because purists hate them (alright, not the Branaghs)

There are passages of such brilliance and beauty...

I know, you don't need no damned soliloquies but here's Richard after returning from war:

...But I,–that am not shap’d for sportive tricks,
Nor made to court an amorous looking-glass;
I, that am rudely stamp’d, and want love’s majesty
To strut before a wanton ambling nymph;
I, that am curtail’d of this fair proportion,
Cheated of feature by dissembling nature,
Deform’d, unfinish’d, sent before my time
Into this breathing world scarce half made up,
And that so lamely and unfashionable
That dogs bark at me as I halt by them;–
Why, I, in this weak piping time of peace,
Have no delight to pass away the time,
Unless to spy my shadow in the sun,
And descant on mine own deformity:
And therefore,–since I cannot prove a lover,
To entertain these fair well-spoken days,–
I am determined to prove a villain,
And hate the idle pleasures of these days.
Mom2Grey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mom2grey.html

Post by Mom2Grey »

I think I will add "The Hunchback of Notre-Dame" to my list of must e-reads.
Just never got around to it before, and now - with my night-vision Nook technology - I can read in complete darkness without disturbing anyone else, he he he.
The Bookaholic
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookaholic.html
Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill

Post by The Bookaholic »

Pride and prejudice, although it is on my to do list.
Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill
K-katastrophe3
Favorite Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Favorite Book: Remembrance by Jude Deveraux
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-katastrophe3.html
Latest Review: "Spellhollow Wood" by Joseph Scotti
fav_author_id: 3137

Post by K-katastrophe3 »

Harry Potter is popular right? I haven't read any of those. Well actually I read the first one quite a few years ago; however, I do not remember it nor did I read any of the others.

I also have not read the Lord of the Rings series. I have always wanted to because I have heard great things, but I have yet to pick them up.
“Life isn't finding shelter in the storm. It's about learning to dance in the rain.” -Acheron in Fantasy Lover by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Latest Review: "Spellhollow Wood" by Joseph Scotti
jellymonty
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Diary of Anne Frank
Currently Reading: Sherlock Holmes Complete Series
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jellymonty.html
Latest Review: "Allergic to Life" by Kathryn Chastain Treat

Post by jellymonty »

DATo wrote:
ariel wrote:Lord of the Rings.

I've tried to read it and failed, which is really disappointing because so many people seem to adore it! It's just never captured my interest.
I'm with you too. I watched the Trilogy and thought it was super brilliant but never got round to reading the book. I just didn't have the energy to read it for some reason. Another book I've never read is Wuthering Heights again I just didnt have the interest or the energy for it that all.
Latest Review: "Allergic to Life" by Kathryn Chastain Treat
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

There are several classics I have yet to read but I have them downloaded and waiting for me to read. :) I just finished Of Mine and Men, I am trying to take my time in between classics so I don't burn myself out with them.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”