Feeling of emptiness after finishing a book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
thebookworm4ever
Favorite Author: Kelley Armstrong
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebookworm4ever.html
fav_author_id: 3117

Re: Feeling of emptiness after finishing a book?

Post by thebookworm4ever »

I hate that feeling that I'm saying goodbye to a story even though I have it on my shelf.
Happily Candied
Favorite Author: Keith Donohue
Favorite Book: The Stolen Child
Currently Reading: Harry Potter
fav_author_id: 5212

Post by Happily Candied »

I was tempted to reread Little Women yet again the minute I finished it this last time. Luckily, I could fall back on Little Men and Jo's Boys... but still. I felt such a loss when the story was over. I'm planning to read it again in November or December, sometime around the holiday season. There are some characters and stories I'll never be able to let go of, ever.
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

YES!! It’s like a part of me has gone inside a hole and died!! After I finish a really good book, I feel like my life line is connected to the characters and if they are done…
My weekend is all booked!
luluMoon1940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lulumoon1940.html

Post by luluMoon1940 »

And How! Bereaved is how I feel sometimes when finishing a special book. Last time was when I read Rohinton Mistry's book
A Fine Balance first published in 1995. As the back cover says the book is "a testimony to the enduring greatness of the human spirit".
It certainly tested mine.
Book-obsessed
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: Graffiti Moon
Currently Reading: Opal
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-obsessed.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by Book-obsessed »

Yes, tons of times! I get wrapped up in the world so much to the point that a part of my brain is in the world and then when it's over I'm back into the regular dreay world
Crap happens; it's inevitable, it's a part of life. You can't let it destroy though, you learn to be stronger and wiser through the crappy things that happen.
monideane21
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monideane21.html
Latest Review: "Return to Knightshayes" by Angela Gait

Post by monideane21 »

This happens to me so often, I feel sort of lost when I finish a good book. Its like saying goodbye to good friends
Latest Review: "Return to Knightshayes" by Angela Gait
subzerowon
Favorite Author: Tolkien_ Koontz_ect
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Black Arrow
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-subzerowon.html
Latest Review: "Gilded Feathers (book 1 in Gilded Feathers series)" by J. Woods

Post by subzerowon »

At times, I finish a book that has a powerful message to it and look up grinning at people around me only to realize that no one else had the same experience.
subzerowon
Latest Review: "Gilded Feathers (book 1 in Gilded Feathers series)" by J. Woods
Annalisa21
Favorite Author: Margaret Atwood
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
fav_author_id: 3668

Post by Annalisa21 »

I tend to binge read, so I am completely immersed in books and forget to eat... so yes, I am completely lost when I finish a book. Plus I have to wait until I've got the time to pick up another :-(
Sianselina
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sianselina.html

Post by Sianselina »

Yes, I sometimes consider books like friends, or late night lover.And when i read it all, switching to an other book makes me think that i am cheating on my lover. I feel like choosing one book and learning it, an spend my whole life repeating it - as is Farenheit 451 ;)
readerromance2003
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Favorite Book: Dark Magic
Currently Reading: Red
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerromance2003.html
fav_author_id: 2573

Post by readerromance2003 »

Sometimes I do feel some emptiness or sadness when I have finished a book or series. I don't want them to end and eventually they do. What I generally do is I such for an author or series like the one I just finished and I try one of those books. Sooner or later I will find a match and all will be well in my reading area again.
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

Yes! I get so immersed in it that when I return to the real world, it can feel mundane and unfulfilling
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

Happens to me all the time, especially at the end of a seried I liked a lot. I also feel satisified, though, like I accomplished something.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

Yes it always feels like their is a lingering silence overwhelming me when I finish a good book. I have withdrawal systems and sometimes I'm not prepared to believe I have actually finished reading the book. I will begin searching the internet for any tad bit of information about the book just so I can still seem apart of that particular fictional world.
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
Qew
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qew.html

Post by Qew »

SidnayC wrote:I will begin searching the internet for any tad bit of information about the book just so I can still seem apart of that particular fictional world.
Haha I do that too. Usually TV Tropes if they have an article. It's gotten so bad, as soon as I finish reading something I immediately go there and just bask in all the good memories.
keshpeach09

Post by keshpeach09 »

I thought I was the only one who felt this way. I think it is being emotionally attached to the characters and wishing they were real. At least that's how I feel.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”