Are you ever disappointed with the way a book ends?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Riya Sarkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riya-sarkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Re: Are you ever disappointed with the way a book ends?

Post by Riya Sarkar »

arnaleigh wrote: 25 Nov 2013, 21:43 I find it more frustrating when a book series has a bad ending because you've enjoyed the books enough to read a whole series and a bad ending ruins it
I had this experience with The divergent series. I found the ending very upsetting!
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I just finished the book, Piranesi by Susanna Clarke, and though I really enjoyed most of it the ending sort of spoiled it for me.

Most of the book has a fantasy genre feel to it and then the ending interposed a detective aspect that ruined the spell of the fantasy. It was like being suddenly woke up while one is dreaming - the natural reaction is to be defiant ... and I suppose I was *LOL*
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Leslie Kunde
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: All Souls Trilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leslie-kunde.html
Latest Review: The Fantastical Keys of Darius Newton Archibank by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Leslie Kunde »

I am often disappointed in the ending of books. Either the author leaves too many unanswered questions or it just ends flat.
Arianne Joy Melendres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arianne-joy-melendres.html
Latest Review: The graveyard and other poems by Mae Bea Sayes

Post by Arianne Joy Melendres »

100% yes ! As with everyone, I develop a certain understanding of what's happening in a book and thus I'm able to devise ways on how I think I'd like the book to progress or end. Sometimes, those expectations aren't met
Henry Patrovic
Favorite Book: A Touch of Power
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henry-patrovic.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Henry Patrovic »

Definitely. Sometimes it feels like the author just wants to be done with the book and rushes the ending.
Nina Vanderbilt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-vanderbilt.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nina Vanderbilt »

Oh yeah... A lot of times the ending is open, without any conclusion and this makes me think about what could happen in the end and I start making up stories in my head. And this makes me feel disappointed most of the time. And anxious too.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”