What would you do if libraries were forced to close?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
daisy21
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daisy21.html

Re: What would you do if libraries were forced to close?

Post by daisy21 »

I think it would be very sad. But I would continue reading and buying books online.
Tiffanye1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanye1.html

Post by Tiffanye1 »

First I would have to find a new job and then I would do a little crying. :cry: I think I would eventually open up my own collection to neighbors. :D
“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.”

― Jorge Luis Borges
Anna Meyer
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-meyer.html
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa

Post by Anna Meyer »

Ask if I can get all the books and shelving and data....and seek private sponsors to sponsor the opening of a private sponsored library, making use of volunteers to work shifts, readers that love books and knows the value of books. Will also take of the books to hospitals where patients can have a mobile li rary at their bed...once a week.
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa
Metarex

Post by Metarex »

I would go insane if that happened. I wouldn't accept that they were being forced to close and probably be in denial because it seems such a crime.
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

Tiffanye1 wrote:First I would have to find a new job and then I would do a little crying. :cry: I think I would eventually open up my own collection to neighbors. :D
I do think that there was a time when all libraries were private. You either knew someone with a lot of books or you paid to join a library. I can't see our libraries closing in my lifetime, but if they we too would open our collection to others. As long as there are books in the hands of the public, people will find a way to share them.
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
raindropwriter
Favorite Author: Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Book: Twenties Girl
Currently Reading: Strugling for Justice
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raindropwriter.html
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
fav_author_id: 2960

Post by raindropwriter »

That would be a heinous if libraries are forced to closed down! This should never happen alreadly very few people are interested in reading and if libraries close down then the percentage will only decrease! :(
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
tangowithParis

Post by tangowithParis »

Hang the public officials who let it happen. If they're still closed after the hangings,
take their pets, children, and spouses and boil them in oil. Next, break in to the libraries, steal the books, and start libraries in places like Over the Rainbow,
Tomorrowland, and Utopia. WE MUST PREVAIL!!!
Jessib

Post by Jessib »

I would go to locally owned book stores because I have found out that if you ask they will give you advanced readers copies if you ask (I'm not sure if all places do this). I would also do everything in my power to try and save the library system.
tangowithParis

Post by tangowithParis »

"As long as there are books in the hands of the public, people will find a way to share them."(Little House). I have to believe this is true. Certainly there have been times in
the world more dire than this and people managed to go on reading. I still think we
should hang a few public officials. Makes it interesting.

-- 06 Jul 2014, 17:39 --

I'd start dating again. I'd take all my dates to the copier room. We'd photocopy each
other until the cows came home. A window like that would allow for some really
creative pix. Doncha think?

-- 09 Jul 2014, 01:17 --

Go to war. I've said it already, but it bears repeating: No libraries, no peace. "The
financial crunch" didn't just happen. It was engineered by those who have ready access
to capital. Banks, investment houses, and The USG. They have laws to prosecute the criminals on
Wall Street. They did nothing, In fact, they abetted the disaster by giving financial
institutions money to "bail them out." They rewarded criminal behavior. If the libraries
don't have the money to stay open 7 days a week, don't blame the "difficult financial
times." Blame the people who created them, on purpose: The Wall Street/USG Cabal.
Death to my US Senator!! He wants to revoke my library card! He deserves to be boiled in oil! Him AND his dog!! Online Book Club: Are You With Me!!!!!!!!!WE MUST PREVAIL!!!!
ARRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

I think it would be a disaster but maybe people would work it out. For example we could write books and share them with others creating certain book circle :) and of course, there would still be bookstores.
Rhymis
Currently Reading: Creep
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhymis.html

Post by Rhymis »

I will campaign against it. I will seriously consider it a sign of the apocalypse. Libraries are very important, especially for kids who don't have money to buy their own books or for kids who study in schools that don't have libraries. Our city library here doesn't have that many up to date books, which is a sad thing as the government schools here have really small libraries with old books and very few fiction.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

SarahBearah wrote:
obiebookworm wrote:I would do everything in my power to prevent that - petition, protest, etc. Our communities need libraries!
I'll be your back up!!! Heck Yes. :lol: :lol:

I'll be part of the army.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
amyghilton
Currently Reading: House of Furies
Bookshelf Size: 758
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amyghilton.html

Post by amyghilton »

I would cry. Which is what I did in 2010 when some of our libraries DID close. It was heartbreaking. After doing everything you possibly know to do to prevent it, it's out of your control. Our library system has recovered and is doing better financially. Hopefully, the measures that are put in place now will prevent that from ever happening again.
Rhymis
Currently Reading: Creep
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhymis.html

Post by Rhymis »

amyghilton wrote:I would cry. Which is what I did in 2010 when some of our libraries DID close. It was heartbreaking. After doing everything you possibly know to do to prevent it, it's out of your control. Our library system has recovered and is doing better financially. Hopefully, the measures that are put in place now will prevent that from ever happening again.
That's depressing! I really hope gov offices everywhere realize how important libraries are, that reading can seriously save lives and futures.
Delia Arbuckle

Post by Delia Arbuckle »

I would be absolutely devastated and probably start my own library.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”