Read the book then watch the movie counterpart or vice versa

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
missydawnx
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missydawnx.html

Re: Read the book then watch the movie counterpart or vice v

Post by missydawnx »

I prefer to read the book first as the movie normally cuts a lot out. I guess it's just personal preference.
booklover24

Post by booklover24 »

Both my grandmother and I think that if we read a book and then go see the movie we both find that the book gives a lot more detail then the movie does.
ncarlson0103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ncarlson0103.html

Post by ncarlson0103 »

I prefer to watch the movie first because the movie version cuts out a lot of stuff from the book, so when I read the book after I watch the movie I feel like I don't know the story yet and both versions still feel new to me.
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

I try to read the book first, but sometimes I don't even know there is a book until i've watched the movie. I always find the movie to be disappointing when i've read the book first.
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
craftshley
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craftshley.html
Latest Review: "Shoulda Woulda Coulda" by Chris Johnston

Post by craftshley »

I read the book first. It makes me happy to see the book come to life on screen. I hate when the movie doesn't match the book, though, so maybe I should try the opposite and watch the movie first.
Latest Review: "Shoulda Woulda Coulda" by Chris Johnston
rnt19783
Currently Reading: the burial hour
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rnt19783.html

Post by rnt19783 »

I prefer to read the book version before watching the movie. I love to see the story in my mind and imagination before being shown the story.
rnt19783

Post by rnt19783 »

I prefer to read the book version before watching the movie. I love to see the story in my mind and imagination before being shown the story.
rnt19783

Post by rnt19783 »

rnt19783

Post by rnt19783 »

rnt19783

Post by rnt19783 »

I prefer to read the book version first. That way I can envision the story in my mind before being shown it in a movie format.
rnt19783

Post by rnt19783 »

I prefer to read the book version first. That way I can envision the story in my mind before being shown it in a movie format.
rnt19783

Post by rnt19783 »

rnt19783

Post by rnt19783 »

adrianalopez1277

Post by adrianalopez1277 »

I would definitely read the book first. A lot of movies don't go into detail and miss small but vital points in character development. Movies also tend to pick hot stars as leads instead of having actors of the proper age and description. They are not entirely faithful to the books and some have a very small basis of the book.

-- 15 Oct 2014, 00:01 --

I would definitely read the book first. A lot of movies don't go into detail and miss small but vital points in character development. Movies also tend to pick hot stars as leads instead of having actors of the proper age and description. They are not entirely faithful to the books and some have a very small basis of the book.
rd7ht
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rd7ht.html

Post by rd7ht »

This is a tricky topic s not all movies are equally loyal to the book. If the movie is well done it shouldn't matter how close it is to the book but sometime one will get super attached to the original story. In general I'd say watch the movie first if you are worried about being biased from reading the book first.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”