Do you read book covers?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
VickiJME57
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickijme57.html

Re: Do you read book covers?

Post by VickiJME57 »

Yes, I do because that determines if I will read it or not.
ttuso22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ttuso22.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by ttuso22 »

Sometimes, but usually if I don't have any idea what the book is about.
If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison
Ropis
Favorite Author: Stephen King
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Ropis »

dhomespot wrote:I read the summary and look for reviews. I also take it a step further and read the first paragraph. I usually can tell by the first or second paragraph if I am going to like the book.
I do the same :wink:
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." - Ralph W. Emerson
Anna Meyer
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-meyer.html
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa

Post by Anna Meyer »

Yes of course. Same when I take out movies. Its important. I judge from it whether I want to read the book or not...makes it important I think.
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa
lovestoread
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: mortal instruments series
Currently Reading: accused
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by lovestoread »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:Yep, I do! It's mostly how I decide if I feel I am going to like a book or not is by reading the quick reviews and summary, it also helps me know the author a little bit and their background on writing.
me too.
Aelihe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aelihe.html

Post by Aelihe »

I think it's important to not only look at the front cover, but as well as the back and the first paragraph of the book, even. I think you need to get a feel of what the book is going to be like. In most cases, the first paragraph is always the part that I expect to pull me in.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I like to read the blurb on the back that tells what the story is about, and the mini reviews if they are written on the book covers. I like when the book covers have some kind of information on them, like a summary or author bio, etc. I feel like empty book covers are lacking.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
kcfreeman

Post by kcfreeman »

Absolutely. I'm not one to look at the cover of a book and decide that the picture would make a good story. Ideally I read the reviews before deciding to buy a book. If I'm just checking it out of a library I'm a little more carefree in my book choices.
kratika

Post by kratika »

while choosing a book the book's back cover help to know about any book. and therefore helps me select a book.
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

If one of my kids (or someone else for that matter) gives me a book to read, then I don't usually bother with the cover material as I already know a lot about the book (from the person giving it to me). If it is a book off the shelf (at the library or bookstore) then of course I read the cover material to figure out whether or not to take the book home.
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil

Post by BookWorm07 »

Reading blurb's on the back cover's is a must in selecting what I want. Although, I avoid reading reviews.
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil
raindropwriter
Favorite Author: Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Book: Twenties Girl
Currently Reading: Strugling for Justice
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raindropwriter.html
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
fav_author_id: 2960

Post by raindropwriter »

I love to read reviews on the back cover and it gives me happiness for some reason. :P Sometimes I read the thank you pages too in the beginning if the author is my favorite. :P
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
thankyou
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankyou.html
Latest Review: "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell

Post by thankyou »

Yes, I do it all the time. It helps me sort of judge the book, and then I decide whether I'm going to read the book or not.

-- 21 Jul 2014, 06:30 --

Yes, I do it all the time. It helps me sort of judge the book, and then I decide whether I'm going to read the book or not.
Latest Review: "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell
Titanoboa92
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-titanoboa92.html
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim

Post by Titanoboa92 »

Yes, I read the back or inside cover to see what it's about and read the reviews. I also like reading about the authors.
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim
GwenWood
Favorite Author: Kim Harrison
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter Series
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gwenwood.html
Reading Device: B01AZ7LT20
fav_author_id: 4193

Post by GwenWood »

How else would you know if a book sounded interesting or not? Are we judging books by their covers? I have passed up many a book because the synopsis didn't sound all that great. I tend to want to read the covers and then the first couple of pages. If I'm not hooked then, I won't continue.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”