Do you ever judge a book by it's cover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Inmortalbooklover
Currently Reading: Glass Sword
Bookshelf Size: 46

Re: Do you ever judge a book by it's cover?

Post by Inmortalbooklover »

Sometimes, but I try not to
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

Yes, unfortunately! But I will read the summary of all books I pick up after looking at the book, to be fair.
celtsshade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by celtsshade »

Yes.... To a degree. If the cover art of a book catches my eye, I will pick the book up and read the summary. If the summary is intriguing, I will then buy the book. However, I have found lately, at least where I live, that if the cover art doesn’t catch me the summary doesn’t either, so I’ve picked up the very bad habit of not even picking up a book unless the cover art can catch and hold my attention. Not fair, I know, but the truth.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

I know it's bad but I do judge a book by its cover. The cover of a book is the reason why it got my attention in the first place.
Daniel Muky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-muky.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Daniel Muky »

I do..but I don't depend on it alone to buy a book. Usually the blurb at the back helps too even when the cover is poor.
tsh1001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsh1001.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by tsh1001 »

Yes..theres a certain style of cover that usually is a "give" that the book is going to be terrible. Usually real photos of people (usually women or children) in front of a body of water or some other nature scene.

Im sure not ALL like that are terrible..but theres just a type that you can tell..are really terrible.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."
Vivienne2000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivienne2000.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vivienne2000 »

Sometimes I do, but most of the times I judge by the title or rating
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

I think pretty much everyone unconsciously judges a book by its cover! Of course I won't read or not read a book just for its cover, but if I do decide to read it, the cover colors the 'vibe' that the book gives off for me most of the time.
Empan16
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-empan16.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by Empan16 »

I think that the cover of a book can have a huge impact on whether or not I pick it up off the shelf. I don't judge a book based on the cover 100% but, I think that the cover does play a big role.
Vantasia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Vantasia »

No I don't like Judge a book by it cover
Never have never will I
leareiler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leareiler.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by leareiler »

Yes..I do. If it has an ugly cover I usually won't enjoy reading it, and I honestly don't know why. But if it's the same book with a prettier cover, I find myself more inclined to read it. Kind of annoying, hope this doesn't mean I'm shallow. :?
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

Eh, I try not to let the cover influence me too much, but I do have to admit that the books with appealing visuals do draw my attention more. Since I have only the cover (and the synopsis and potential prior reading experience with the author) to go off of, a nice one influences my decision much more than I think it should.
NatRose
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natrose.html
Latest Review: Who Was That Masked Kid by Dan Neiser

Post by NatRose »

I don't see why people see judging a book by its cover as such a bad thing. Covers are designed to catch a readers attention and generally to give insight on what the book's about. The title even more so. Of course, there are times when great books have boring covers and vice versa. The cover probably shouldn't be the only thing you consider about a book, but it's a good place to start. (Also, even if you don't think you judge by the cover, you probably do so subconsciously anyway. So might as well embrace it.)
cxsimpson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cxsimpson.html
Latest Review: How to Generate and Earn Royalty Income by Marina Peters

Post by cxsimpson »

I definitely do sometimes, especially if I just stumbled upon it in a library or bookstore. I also tend to judge them by their titles.
Melina the reader
Currently Reading: A New Earth
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Melina the reader »

Well I think in a way we all kind of do it. Because something makes you pick up the book before you read the summary right? So if you see an appealing cover you are intrigued to find out what its about. At least I can say that for myself and I don't know how else it could work :D
And I also think that even if we make a decision based on the content of the book and not the cover we are always subconsciously kind of influenced by its appearance. Like if a book has a really cheesy cover that I find really ugly then I will already have an idea< about it in my mind and don't approach it neutrally. I think we all do it (maybe unknowingly), but correct me if I'm wrong.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”