Do you ever judge a book by it's cover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kerbi
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kerbi.html

Re: Do you ever judge a book by it's cover?

Post by Kerbi »

I pick a book by its cover quite often, it has to catch my eye before I pick it up to check it out! That doesn't mean I won't read a book because I don't like it's cover.
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Post by Winter »

Sometimes. I figure if the book has a great cover, the author has good taste, which means I'm more likely to like the book. It doesn't always work, but it's a good indication. I wouldn't buy a book based on the cover alone, though.
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford
Kate_Emme
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-emme.html

Post by Kate_Emme »

Even though I know we "aren't supposed to" I do find that if the cover looks interesting I am much more likely to look into the book (buy or read). However, some of the best books I have ever read have really boring covers/dull titles... guess it is just the way I am wired :)
thebookworm4ever
Favorite Author: Kelley Armstrong
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebookworm4ever.html
fav_author_id: 3117

Post by thebookworm4ever »

Well it has to catch my for me to pick it up so I guess I do.
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

Not really, no. I usually decide if I want to read it by reading the back of it, or going on the internet and looking it up and if it’s worth reading or not. The title sometimes influences me greatly, if it’s an interesting title that hints what happens in the book, but doesn’t full-out give it away!
My weekend is all booked!
runnergirl13-1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runnergirl13-1.html

Post by runnergirl13-1 »

I do it a lot I won't read the book if it isn't good, but when I am in the library sometimes thats what only makes me pick up a book and if it looks new which is even worse than judging the book by its cover.
mohdusmanali

Post by mohdusmanali »

yeah the cover is always make attract to buy any book , so i thing good cover is more important for any book.
Orny
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orny.html

Post by Orny »

It's not that I "judge" it, it's just like a first impression for the book. Actually more than the cover, I see how interesting the title might be.
NanoWasabi
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: Watership Down
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanowasabi.html
Latest Review: "MXX: Agent Soldier" by Donald Schlising

Post by NanoWasabi »

I have a hard time picking up a book that has a real photograph, or real people on the cover, but what I tend to judge the book on is the title. I read a lot of fantasy, but there are so many generic fantasy titles like "The Treachery of Maladin" or "The Sorcerer's Wand" that it's hard not to just pass them up. One book that I read just because of the title was "The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear." It caught my attention immediately, and I ended up putting it on my top ten books list.
Latest Review: "MXX: Agent Soldier" by Donald Schlising
readerromance2003
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Favorite Book: Dark Magic
Currently Reading: Red
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerromance2003.html
fav_author_id: 2573

Post by readerromance2003 »

I really want to say no but I have probably been guilty of judging a book by it's cover. To me if a cover does not have aspects of what the book is about (I.E a dragon for a book with dragons, or some sort of romance/or main characters for a romance) I may skip over it for another book. Sometimes, I do tend to pick up a book regardless of the cover, scan the back cover, and read the first chapter. If after the first chapter I don't like it I switch to another book.
NewYorkMets

Post by NewYorkMets »

Absolutely. The back too.
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

I get drawn in by covers. If I don't like a book's cover, nine out of ten times I won't pick it up to see what it's about.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
scriptbunny
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scriptbunny.html
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.

Post by scriptbunny »

Unfortunately yes. Though, typically my ideal book cover is as plain as possible-- like one of those standard Penguin classic three-quarters black plus stock photo deals.
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.
jbrookes_edit
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbrookes-edit.html

Post by jbrookes_edit »

I try not to, but yes. Or rather, I allow the cover of a book to influence my decision on whether or not I’ll pick it up and have a look at it. It would be more accurate to say I judge how likely I am to want to read the book by its cover. Obviously in the long run the cover has no bearing whatsoever on how I judge the book, because by the time I’ve finished the book I pay no attention to the cover. I’ve read bad books with awesome covers, and awesome books with bad covers.
kboyallday

Post by kboyallday »

I have never judge a book by its cover. :roll:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”