Writing? IN BOOKS?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kate Morritauk
Currently Reading: Resurrecting Church
Bookshelf Size: 603
Reading Device: B07BBYX16P

Re: Writing? IN BOOKS?

Post by Kate Morritauk »

I admit that during my studies and often when I still use academic texts, I write, underline, or highlight in the books. When I purchase used books, I also like seeing the notes that were important to others and how what I find significant might not be the same. But if I'm reading a novel, I do not usually write in it.
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexgrav.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by AlexGrav »

I am right a long with you. If I want to write something down about what I am reading I will usually write it down in a notebook. I like to keep my books clean, haha. I just think it seems messy and a little disorienting (for me at least) to see writing in the margins. Then again I am a little OCD and particular about things like that.
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexgrav.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by AlexGrav »

I agree with you sherlyholmes. Unless you are famous or absolutely certain you will be one day (ha), writing in books is a huge no-no. Unless of course you are famous - then that book will be valuable in a few hundred years
MesfnKalu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mesfnkalu.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by MesfnKalu »

If it's a school book or a text book, then I think its okay
Susann Heidy Castro Garnica
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Angel of Death
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susann-heidy-castro-garnica.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Susann Heidy Castro Garnica »

I agree with you, writing in books is a sin. Somehow it makes me think that the next person will get a ruined and interrupted experience with the same book.
Sian Versweyveld
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sian-versweyveld.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Sian Versweyveld »

I would never write in a book. That's what post it notes and notebooks are for.
“The mystery of life isn’t a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.”
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

People can write or not write in their own books, its not something i care about.

I don`t write in my books, because i don`t want to, but i am not going to judge somebody who does write in their books.

Of course nobody should write in books they have borrowed, but i assume people knows this.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
pearlkingstone
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pearlkingstone »

I totally understand where you're coming from. Writing in books can indeed make them look messy. But I have to admit, I am guilty of highlighting too. It is hard to resist marking our favorite passages, is not it? At least that way, we can quickly revisit the most meaningful parts of the book.
Nimra Kiran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimra-kiran.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nimra Kiran »

Ughh! I feel so irritated when people create doodles and write on books they're reading. Like, you can still highlight your favorite lines that are not too long! I prefer highlighting my favorite ones but only those which are shorter in length, say two to three lines no more. Creating art and making notes directly on pages seems clumsy and messy and I would never ever go for that. Instead, use book flags and sticky notes if you're so desperate in annotating, but writing directly on a book is literally illegal in my reading world :oops:
"A bear knows seven songs and they are all about honey."
EnclosedReviewer
Currently Reading: Artwords
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enclosedreviewer.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by EnclosedReviewer »

I like to make notes in my books sometimes. It helps me remember important parts or jot down my thoughts. It's like having a conversation with the author, and it makes reading more interactive. Plus, it's fun to look back at my notes later and see how my perspective has changed. 📝📚
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Runan »

I don’t like it at all. Especially when people use pen instead of pencil in my books, it is an absolute horror for me. I don’t even like people using pens to write or underline my textbooks. Using a pencil to underline in my textbooks is fine though. It’s a learning process.
Runan
Ika Apro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: The Warrior's Meditation by Richard L Haight

Post by Ika Apro »

Depends on the book. I have tried to note some information in books by writing in them, but I could never bring myself to actually doing it. I love seeing other people's writings in books, but I can not do it myself.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”