Writing? IN BOOKS?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
sherlyholmes
Bookshelf Size: 0

Writing? IN BOOKS?

Post by sherlyholmes »

How do you feel about writing in books? By that, I mean, when people write little notes in the margin or underline specific passages. People writing in books happens to be my biggest pet peeve. It's just one of those small things that make me irrationally angry. How do you feel about it?
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I am right a long with you. If I want to write something down about what I am reading I will usually write it down in a notebook. I like to keep my books clean, haha. I just think it seems messy and a little disorienting (for me at least) to see writing in the margins. Then again I am a little OCD and particular about things like that.
audreync13

Post by audreync13 »

I'm perfectly fine with writing in the front of the book, like if it was a gift and the person left a personalized note, but otherwise noted in the margin and highlighting in a book are very aggravating to me.I also think it can be very distracting and take away from what I'm reading.
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Yeah I agree with that. I will sometime write what year I got the book and from who if it hold any sentimental valie but otherwise I cant stand writing in the margins.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Never, ever liked people writing in books - FYI wouldn't this topic be better in Community & Off Topic?
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I never write in my books and use notes if I want to write my thoughts about the books.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
klickaal
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klickaal.html

Post by klickaal »

Writing in the body of a story drives me nuts! I'm always thinking "Why did they underline that? What's the star for? Who highlights everything?"
Ammonia
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=25016">I heart Vegas</a>
Currently Reading: Paws and Jaws
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ammonia.html

Post by Ammonia »

It's awful. It's ruining the whole book. That's what bookmarks and notebooks are invented for - so people wouldn't have to ruin a perfectly good book with some sort of scribbles.
Artemisia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artemisia.html

Post by Artemisia »

I agree with you sherlyholmes. Unless you are famous or absolutely certain you will be one day (ha), writing in books is a huge no-no. Unless of course you are famous - then that book will be valuable in a few hundred years ;)
“If you don't turn your life into a story, you just become a part of someone else's story.”
― Terry Pratchett
tstaf4d
Favorite Book: My Name is Memory
Currently Reading: Marcelo in the Real World
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tstaf4d.html

Post by tstaf4d »

I do not have a problem with people who write directly in their books, but I personally cannot handle doing it to any books I have read. I choose to use sticky notes, or write notes on a piece (or several pieces) of paper. I have had to use books that have been written in and unfortunately, because people do not think alike I had a hard time deciphering what the previous person was referring to, and I could not focus on the content.
Craigable
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craigable.html
Latest Review: "How To NOT Get A Job" by Charlene Holsendorff

Post by Craigable »

I recall sitting in an undergraduate college lit course and noticing another student across from me writing quite a lot in her book as the professor lectured. Nothing unusual in that...except that it was a college library book. It was a disturbing sight for me to witness, I confess.
Latest Review: "How To NOT Get A Job" by Charlene Holsendorff
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by Loveabull »

It depends on the book and if it's going to be donated past the original reader. There are some reference books that I've written a kind of "quick find" guide in the front so I can find particular sections faster. I also had some texts in school that were used and written in. If the previous students were well written, sometimes their notes were helpful additions. But the average book I don't write in.
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
Reader B
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-b.html
Latest Review: "Stronghold, by Backwoods" by Backwoods

Post by Reader B »

I recently checked out some library books that had passages underlined and stared. It was distracting and I don't understand writing in someone else's book. If it's your book and you want to make notes, fine, but not in something someone else is going to use.
Latest Review: "Stronghold, by Backwoods" by Backwoods
The Bookaholic
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookaholic.html
Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill

Post by The Bookaholic »

I hate it, it drives me nuts. Some people have no respect for books and the authors.
Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill
Dream Catcher
Currently Reading: Battle Royale [Koushun Takami]
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dream-catcher.html

Post by Dream Catcher »

During my school years someone had written the w ding of 'Of Mice and Men' on the inside cover.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”