Which book would you recommend to someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
jennyinneverland
Favorite Author: Cecelia Ahern
Favorite Book: The Beach by Alex Garland
Currently Reading: Red Hill by Jamie Mcguire
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyinneverland.html
fav_author_id: 2698

Which book would you recommend to someone who doesn't read?

Post by jennyinneverland »

Do you have anybody like that in your life? If so, what book would you want them to read? :)
Last edited by jennyinneverland on 23 Dec 2013, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.
authorkcfinn
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authorkcfinn.html

Post by authorkcfinn »

I know a lot of people who have never read before who have really enjoyed The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. The narration is simple enough for everyone to understand and there's plenty of action and a very interesting world to step into.
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

I wouldn't recommend any book to someone who doesn't read. Nor would I suggest the perfect cut of beef to a vegetarian.

Far be it from me to presume to tell someone that they have to like what I like. IMO not reading is not good, but it is not a moral or intellectual wrong which requires correcting.
Njkinny
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Empowered
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njkinny.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Njkinny »

It will depend what type suits them. Are they into suspense or romance or non fiction.
Njkinny :techie-reference:
Frioni
Favorite Author: Terry Goodkind
Favorite Book: Wizards First Rule
Currently Reading: Allegiant and Naked Empire
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frioni.html
fav_author_id: 5284

Post by Frioni »

I wouldn't recommend anything, mostly because I've had the experience of telling them some of the greatest books that are so easy to read and they are just not interested. I mean, they dislike the hobby so why should I further enhance that hatred? It's their own personal loss.
Unless that person is illiterate, then it's a whole different story.
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

In my experience, getting someone who doesn't read to read a book you like is not about which book you recommend, but about how you explain the story. I've met quite a few people who don't like to read much, but who've at least tried something I hoped they would just because I made it sound interesting. Of course, I don't think that a reader should walk around preaching, "Read, read!" when he or she knows to pick battles wisely.
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Inemenoneviem
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inemenoneviem.html

Post by Inemenoneviem »

Most of the people in my neighbourhood that doesn't like to read enjoyed The godfather or books about historical events, mostly ww2 (and yes, all of them are men). If it's a woman, I'd reccomend something short and funny, something that won't discourage her from reading it when she sees size of the book.
jcheiser
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcheiser.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by jcheiser »

I have one particular friend who hates reading. It's just not her cup of tea. I don't recommend books to her because I know she'll never read them, however, if there is a book I really like and I hear it's being made into a movie, I will tell her 'that movie is based on a really good book, you should check out the film version'. It's certainly not the same as reading, but it gets her involved enough to be able to join in conversations about stories (albeit with some changes, as most theatrical renditions have).
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
missg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missg.html
Latest Review: "The Farmer's Fate" by A TRAUB

Post by missg »

I would also say The Hunger Games Trilogy even our non-readers would enjoy this book very entertaining!!!!
Latest Review: "The Farmer's Fate" by A TRAUB
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by Loveabull »

Audio books, many people who wouldn't sit and read would perhaps be open to listening to a good book, especially if they have a long commute...then you just have think of a subject of interest.
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

FNAWrite wrote:I wouldn't recommend any book to someone who doesn't read. Nor would I suggest the perfect cut of beef to a vegetarian.

Far be it from me to presume to tell someone that they have to like what I like. IMO not reading is not good, but it is not a moral or intellectual wrong which requires correcting.
*ROTFLMAO* .... my sentiments exactly *LOL*

As always, my recommendation to someone who does not NORMALLY read as a pastime would be Watership Down by Richard Adams.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Reader B
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-b.html
Latest Review: "Stronghold, by Backwoods" by Backwoods

Post by Reader B »

I agree. If they don't like to read, they don't like to read. I know people who see reading as something they were forced to do in school and can't imagine why I do it when I don't have to.

But there are also people who just never got into it or haven't made it a priority because they were busy with other things. For those people, a recommendation would have to be based on their interests, but I would think something relatively short so they aren't intimidated by the size and so they have a better chance of finishing it.
Latest Review: "Stronghold, by Backwoods" by Backwoods
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

One of my cousins isn't a fan of reading but likes audiobooks VERY much. I figure either hardcopies or audio format are both ways of appreciating good stories as they are written. I'll listen to audiobooks if I like the reader's method of interpreting the words.
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
tracydinh96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracydinh96.html

Post by tracydinh96 »

A fantasy genre book maybe?
Bella_0772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bella-0772.html

Post by Bella_0772 »

The Harry Potter series!