Does reading more books increase reading speed?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
VolkodavKO
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Does reading more books increase reading speed?

Post by VolkodavKO »

Maybe, but if you really enjoy something, perhaps you won't want to get through it too quickly.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

VolkodavKO wrote:Maybe, but if you really enjoy something, perhaps you won't want to get through it too quickly.
Not me. I would just fly through that sucker even faster to find out what happens.
Reyes183
Currently Reading: You're Next
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyes183.html

Post by Reyes183 »

I believe that if a person is an avid reader, i am an avid reader.I finish one book and i immediately begin reading another.I believe that as you avidly read books one after another ,your reading speed increases.
Sarah Clay
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Currently Reading: Lost in the Wilderness
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-clay.html
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
fav_author_id: 2384

Post by Sarah Clay »

I don't believe so. I've always been a speedy reader, though, so I wouldn't know. However, if I'm at a particularly rough part in a book, my reading speeds up (probably because I'm impatient and want to know what happens). I have a friend who disliked reading simply because she was a slow reader, and I've only recently taught her the ways of literature. She says she read at the same pace, but enjoys it more.
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
missbookworm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by missbookworm »

That's a no for me. I've loved reading since elementary school, and I'm still somewhat of a slow reader. I still like to take a breather and make sure I understand what's going on. Plus, I like to enjoy my book, not reace through them.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I don't think it helps. I'm a painfully slow reader, and my comprehension abilities have not improved since I can remember. I even TAUGHT comprehension, for goodness' sakes, and I still have a few gaps in it.
kasi1215
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasi1215.html
Latest Review: "To Gen X, Baby Boomers and Millennials, with Love" by Francis T. Sganga

Post by kasi1215 »

Laine32 wrote:I'd actually say that it does. I read a lot and I've found that I'm finishing the same amount of pages quicker than before. Also, when my husband and I are sharing the laptop to review something, I always seem to begin scrolling down long before he's ready, lol. I really don't think I was as fast as I am now just a year ago.
Haha, I never thought about it, but I do the same thing too. I hope my reading is getting quicker...I just have so many books on my list I want to read and I hope I can get to all of them before I die!!

I think that is actually my biggest fear - not finishing my book list before I die or am unable to read anymore :'(
Latest Review: "To Gen X, Baby Boomers and Millennials, with Love" by Francis T. Sganga
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

My answer falls squarely in the "it depends" category. If you are a "poor", "slow", or "developing/improving" reader, I think that reading more will definitely improve your reading speed. That being said, if you are already a good reader, likely there is an upper limit to that reading speed without using alternate "speed reading techniques".
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Yes,it does... at least for me it does. It use to take me a week to finish books but I've noticed lately that I can finish books in less than a day (depending on length and my level of interest of course)
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I think at a certain age it would improve your speed. Kids that start to read more often probably read faster when they practice more. For everyone that already reads a lot, I don't think so. I pretty much read at the same speed and I have for the last few years. It all depends on how much I like the book.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

I would say a little, I'm just not sure but having a set target for a set period definitely increases speed
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

I think it does just a little bit. Because one would not have to learn some words one has already encountered.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw
Lia A
Favorite Book: Aurora Rising
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lia-a.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Lia A »

I think that it does, but only a little. After all, practicing can help you improve.
“𝓞𝓷𝓮 𝓶𝓾𝓼𝓽 𝓪𝓵𝔀𝓪𝔂𝓼 𝓫𝓮 𝓬𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓸𝓯 𝓫𝓸𝓸𝓴𝓼, 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝔀𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓲𝓼 𝓲𝓷𝓼𝓲𝓭𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓶, 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓭𝓼 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓹𝓸𝔀𝓮𝓻 𝓽𝓸 𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓮 𝓾𝓼.”
― 𝓒𝓪𝓼𝓼𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓻𝓪 𝓒𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮, (𝓒𝓵𝓸𝓬𝓴𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓴 𝓐𝓷𝓰𝓮𝓵)
Essywa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essywa.html
Latest Review: ...on your way home...Do This by George Six

Post by Essywa »

As for me it does increase my reading speed but it also depends with the books am reading.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think it probably does because as the vocabulary of the reader increases, the processing time decreases. However, as the number of books read increases, it's possible that reading time decreases, again due to comparing this book to that book, this writer to that writer, etc. Especially if one likes to jot on the margins. My reading speed decreased quite a bit after I learned about literary criticism and as I started comparing a current book to other books, looking for evidence to support a point to argue or for something from which to develop and then support a theory. I kind of had to relearn to just read the book for enjoyment without being so critical.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”