NOT EVERY PARENT IS APPROVING OF " Harry Potter books

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Re: NOT EVERY PARENT IS APPROVING OF " Harry Potter books

Post by RebekaV »

I don't think there's any harm in it. I mean, what is wrong with the witchcraft? It's a fantasy book. In fantasy books there is magic. I went to a Catholic school when I was 10 and they obviously had a problem with it, but I never understood why. I think kids should really be allowed to read it if they want. Especially that it got so many children reading who would otherwise not have picked up a novel. I just find it narrow-minded if someone does not let their child read about magic - we know it's not real, the child will realise it soon enough and it does no damage whatsoever. I know people who hasn't been allowed to read it when they were children and felt really left out and angry at their parents. I have read the first book to my 7 years old brother and I don't see how it did any damage to him. He really liked it and was engaged and happy while I read it. Obviously I will not let him read the other books just yet as he's too small, but other than that what is the possible harm it could do?
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

I don't see any harm in them. However, my grandmother was completely against me reading them. Of course, I still read the whole series. But she would still try and frighten me away from them by saying that the author made a deal with the devil and that something would appear in my room at night if I read them.
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

If I had children I would let them read it, i've read the books myself and don't see the harm in it.
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
CourtnayKruger
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by CourtnayKruger »

I personally see no extreme harm in reading Harry Potter books. Reading takes the soul on many adventures and the HP Series achieves this most successfully. I remember my dad not having a problem with the books as such, but rather the movies as he believed that especially the way in which The Prisoner of Azkaban and The Order of the Phoenix were filmed, left dark thoughts in his young daughter's mind... The books however are just an excellent example of fantastical fiction.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Different strokes for different folks! Thank God we live in a country in which WE DECIDE WHAT OUR KIDLETS READ 8)
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

lbuckman wrote:I think that if the child is interested in reading the Harry Potter books and the parent doesn't feel the child is ready for the books, then they should read them together. The books are very well written and allow for much discussion, so it is a great way for a parent to monitor their child's reactions and to see if they are ready for all of the books.
This is so true. I wish more parents would read to their children. Not only does it help to create an attachment to each other but also to reading generally. A child will have so many questions about any given text (whether it's written, spoken or visual) and it's wonderful that parents are there to answer them and develop their reading skills. Learning doesn't have to be a lonely exercise! :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
carinarivera26

Post by carinarivera26 »

I think they are harmless and I rather have my son reading harry Potter than playing video games.
alexanderian

Post by alexanderian »

My best friend's mother was very cautious about the things that she watched on tv or read and Harry Potter was no objection
hpsecrets99
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading: The Spectacular Now
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hpsecrets99.html
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by hpsecrets99 »

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Harry Potter books. They were a big part of why I love to read so much now, and I can't wait to share them with my kids.
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

That's because some parents have smaller minds than their children.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
angelawinters
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelawinters.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by angelawinters »

I watched Yosemite Sam shoot Bugs Bunny when I was a kid and I watched the Road Runner push Wile E. Coyote off cliffs, drop boulders on his head, etc. I don't see anything wrong with Harry Potter. If we didn't want our children watching anything magical, most of the shows on tv would be taken off. If that's the worst thing that a child sees during their life, they will be in good shape.

By the way, magick is a way of life for some people.
lisateb
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisateb.html
Latest Review: "Burning Secret" by Stefan Zweig

Post by lisateb »

I don't see the problem reading the Harry Potter books. If you grew up reading any type of fairy tales, then you have read more violent stories than HP series. I think you should encourage your children to read. They will do better in school, and have a more open mind and imagination. If you place limits on them with reading then it will do one of two things. It will turn them off to reading, or they will sneak behind your back and read the stories anyway.
"Why understand when you can believe?" Christopher Moore, Coyote Blue
Latest Review: "Burning Secret" by Stefan Zweig
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

I believe the Harry Potter series is packed full of very important life lesson. The importance of friends, bravery, love, devotion, family, knowledge, as well as the joy of entering a new world are just a few of the morals this series highlights. It is truly an amazing series and certainly contains a plethora of valuable lessons.
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
Zupanatural
Currently Reading: The Book of Strange New Things
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zupanatural.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Zupanatural »

Airam Velarde wrote:I don't see any harm in them. However, my grandmother was completely against me reading them. Of course, I still read the whole series. But she would still try and frighten me away from them by saying that the author made a deal with the devil and that something would appear in my room at night if I read them.
You think that's bad? The Polish Catholic church officially opposes Harry Potter (as well as Halloween, yoga and various other "non-Christian" things)- sad & laughable at the same time.

:roll2:
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
shahzaibmazhar7

Post by shahzaibmazhar7 »

every parent is always think good about children and always try to guide them best so has right to order their child about every step of life.... personally there is no harm in reading harry potter books....

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”