NOT EVERY PARENT IS APPROVING OF " Harry Potter books

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: NOT EVERY PARENT IS APPROVING OF " Harry Potter books

Post by Julie Petitbon »

I am a Potterhead of the house Hufflepuff. I've read the series at least a dozen times, my children have read it, and I even taught The Sorcerer's Stone to one of my classes. Surprisingly, I did have one student whose parents would not let him read the book. They insisted that it went against their religious beliefs. However, they were perfectly okay when their child chose to read Twilight. Can't figure some people out...
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

Julie Petitbon wrote: 01 May 2019, 11:48 I am a Potterhead of the house Hufflepuff. I've read the series at least a dozen times, my children have read it, and I even taught The Sorcerer's Stone to one of my classes. Surprisingly, I did have one student whose parents would not let him read the book. They insisted that it went against their religious beliefs. However, they were perfectly okay when their child chose to read Twilight. Can't figure some people out...
Seriously!? Twilight was way worse for kids to read, in my opinion. The female lead was weak and led by her obsession with her boyfriend. Nothing else in her life mattered. Not even her own life, come to find out in the next book. You really can't guess how people will act, you are right about that!
GC50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gc50.html
Latest Review: Perfect Fairways... Hidden Lies by Robert Marier

Post by GC50 »

I think Harry Potter books are harmless, besides that, you can also learn from them about things like friendship, family, love and courage.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

What's the worst influence a child can get from something as harmless as Harry Potter? If a parent is concerned about their kid reading Harry Potter I feel like they're going to have a hard time coping once they realize there's countless other worse, more easily accessible harmful content out there.
JennyorAlice
Currently Reading: Tales of the Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 151

Post by JennyorAlice »

I've read the Harry Potter series and I find nothing wrong with it. But I am an adult and I read the series as an adult. I know that the series is a fictional story about fictional characters in a fictional world.....the whole thing is a work of fiction. But even as a kid, I understand that the fictional stories I read was just that....made up stories that weren't real. So, I don't see what the big deal is with letting kids read this book.
holly_23
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by holly_23 »

Harry Potter is a fantastic series of books that teaches so many valuable lessons in how to treat other people and how to handle tricky situations (ethically). I do think it can be heavy to read, especially the last couple of books, but I can definitely see the value in exposing a child to the heavy stuff. That being said, I do think parents/caregivers should definitely encourage the child to talk to them about what they are reading so the adult can help them process and answer whatever questions they can. This develops trust between child and adult and is the best way to figure out exactly what your child is able to handle emotionally. I think caregivers should at least read the book before, or read it (out loud) with their child if there are concerns about the content of a book.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

Harry Potter is harmless. The child should be allowed to choose when they are ready, as I remember reading it in elementary school. Also, the books are well written and possess many life lessons.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

lbuckman wrote: 20 Jan 2014, 18:50 I think that if the child is interested in reading the Harry Potter books and the parent doesn't feel the child is ready for the books, then they should read them together. The books are very well written and allow for much discussion, so it is a great way for a parent to monitor their child's reactions and to see if they are ready for all of the books.
I agree, I think that this is a very positive solution. This could help with numerous possible issues that could pop up.
~Roxie~
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

dorebri2020 wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 15:10 Harry Potter is harmless. The child should be allowed to choose when they are ready, as I remember reading it in elementary school. Also, the books are well written and possess many life lessons.
Definitely! After all, the books are all about love being the greater power. I also read this when I was very young.
~Roxie~
Empan16
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-empan16.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by Empan16 »

In almost every book, there are important life lessons that can be learned. I have watched and read the entire Harry Potter series and see no harm in either one. I think that it's important to be exposed to different types of literature and not be sheltered from it. A lot of the stuff found in literature is a direct reflection of what is going on in the real world so I think it is important to allow kids to read these books.
Empan16
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-empan16.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by Empan16 »

Julie Petitbon wrote: 01 May 2019, 11:48 I am a Potterhead of the house Hufflepuff. I've read the series at least a dozen times, my children have read it, and I even taught The Sorcerer's Stone to one of my classes. Surprisingly, I did have one student whose parents would not let him read the book. They insisted that it went against their religious beliefs. However, they were perfectly okay when their child chose to read Twilight. Can't figure some people out...
Hello, fellow Hufflepuff! But seriously? That's very surprising that they wouldn't allow their child to read Harry Potter but they will let them read Twilight.
Musk doaab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musk-doaab.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Musk doaab »

I would force my kids to read Harry Potter, it has been my coming of age book. I ventured in the world of English literature because of Harry Potter and not just because of this but because it is such a dynamic book, it will bring any kid a number of things to think about. Well, if not kids than would an adult will be interested in a child wizard? oh I forgot I am also an adult.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

I have absolutly no problem with the Harry Potter books. I think they are great. My late grandmother thought they were from the devil since they have witchcraft in them...her words not mine!
slytheringirl
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by slytheringirl »

I personally love the Harry Potter series (as you can tell from my username), and it was my grandma that introduced me to the series as giving the first book to me as a gift. I know that very religious people think it's a way to encourage young children to do witchcraft, and try to keep their kids away from the book series along with other books/TV shows/movies about magic, witches, etc. When I have kids, I'm going to read it to them. Then, if they end up liking the series I'll get them their own copy (paperback first, then hardback once they're old enough to be responsible with hardbacks). My mom never really monitored what I read, and I would give my child the same freedom. Of course, she always made sure that when I was little my books came from the children's section, but that was about it. I would do the same.
NatRose
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natrose.html
Latest Review: Who Was That Masked Kid by Dan Neiser

Post by NatRose »

My parents didn't want me to read the books when I was young, but they changed their minds by the time my brother wanted to read them (go figure). I think they just weren't familiar enough with the books to know if they were okay for us to read. They were okay with us reading most types of fantasy books (lord of the rings was fine, of course) but were much warier if the magic in a book was more witchcrafty.

Personally, I see no issue with letting children read Harry Potter whatsoever, and I definitely read more questionable books than that when I was young even with my parents' protectiveness.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”