NOT EVERY PARENT IS APPROVING OF " Harry Potter books

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Re: NOT EVERY PARENT IS APPROVING OF " Harry Potter books

Post by vaz222 »

I'm a parent and I approve Harry Potter books. In a few years hopefully my daughter will read them.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

In no way, shape or form do I disapprove of the HP books, nor would I stop children reading them (though I agree with some posters that the latter ones may be a tad dark and complex for the younger end of the readership). HOWEVER, I do have a few qualms about children who ONLY read this and similar series and never anything set in the real world - well, a fictionalised real world, but you know what I mean!
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
toribyers13
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toribyers13.html
Latest Review: What the River Wants by Arthur Byrd

Post by toribyers13 »

When I was young my parents didn't approve, but that was because they hadn't read it. They heard it was about "witchcraft" and assumed it was anti-Christian. However, once they read it they realized the story wasn't harmful. I wouldn't be disapproving of this as a parent, I think many parents hear "witchcraft" and get scared. In reality you could also say that fairytales contain "witchcraft". So in my opinion, more parents that haven't read Harry Potter are disproving than the ones who have read it.
Honeybeetle
Currently Reading: Snow Crash
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybeetle.html
Latest Review: Loving Well, The Key To Satisfying and Joyful Relationships by Erin K Leonard (Dr Erin Leonard)

Post by Honeybeetle »

I'm glad to give kids access to a book series that champions love, kindness, and courage to do what's right even when it's scary and difficult. The magic is play-pretend, and I think we as adults don't give children enough credit to know the difference. When I was a kid myself, I didn't think magic was real. What stuck with me was how Harry triumphed by standing up for others and how Hermione always did her best to improve herself, and how Ron was a loyal and loving friend.
Holler about books on Twitter with me @DextroColeo! :techie-studyinggray:
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I would say that reading Harry Potter is a right of passage. It teaches friendship, teamwork, and courage. Sure there are some elements that could be a poor influence, such as breaking rules and not focusing on studies or leaving school. I still think that there are far worse things that children could read.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I have no problems with it because it is clearly a work of fantasy. I don't think children are reading the books thinking there is reality behind them. If there is a concern, a parent can easily nip that in the bud with a frank discussion on the definition of fantasy.
seymmarc
Currently Reading: The Nun
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seymmarc.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by seymmarc »

I don't think I could ever withhold my child from reading a book. Books fueled my ambition and love of learning. I think there are many valuable lessons to be learned from books. Of course, it also depends on the child's maturity. If they really wanted to read a book I wasn't sure was appropriate for them, I would probably read it with them or have a discussion with them about it.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Read them as a child, then as a teenager, still continuing as an adult. I was so happy when I found a girl I tutor taking up the books and loving them. We keep discussing the HP series, the movies, the behind-the-scene videos, the edited parts, the fan fictions, the other series and books and films based on the wizarding world and so on.. She is now a teenager herself and I don't think the series has done her any harm, except she has become obsessed with it. I am definitely going to suggest this series to my children- when (and if) I have any.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

As a teacher in a Christian school, I read every book aloud to my classes. I had a few parents through the years who asked that their child be aloud to go to study hall instead and that’s ok. Parents have the right to decide for themselves. But as one of my curious 10-year-olds said,”They know it’s fiction though, right? They know we can tell the difference, right?” Then, 10 years later, I ran into a former student who told me the only reason he learned to love reading was because I introduced him to Harry Potter. So it was worth it.
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

I can understand why some parents take issue with The Harry Potter Series. In the case of religious parents, it has witchcraft, it's violent, and it teaches children to be self-reliant and have a voice. With the last one, I don't mean to offend anyone or be taken out of context, but the books encourage children to take responsibility and speak up for themselves rather than being strictly obedient to their parents or teachers, or any higher authority.

And overall, any parent could take issue with the The Harry Potter Series, because it grows steadily darker until it deals with very adult themes. Even the process of making a Horcrux is rumoured to have made the editor ill when J. K. Rowling revealed how it was done-- and that disturbing, morbid tone is carried throughout the series. It's not exactly child-friendly when you look beyond the surface-- even if courage, trust, and loyalty are the themes focused on. But what is most interesting to me, is how the Deathly Hallows are representative of each aspect of the Holy Trinity. It is in essence 'false-idolisation'. I think this is my favourite part of the entire book, because it directly mirrors a religion of our own muggle world in a magical world. But again, it's understandable why some parents don't like it, religious or not.

But banning the books in libraries is ridiculous. I think it's unfair for a parent to have sway over what other children are allowed to read if they're not their own.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I think its a great series for people of any age! My sister-in-law is reading them to her toddler and they're loving it!! :)
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

I think it depends on the child. HP is so popular but as with all books, parents must be careful to give their kids age appropriate reading material.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

My mother didn't want me reading Harry Potter because it was thought of to be bad due to the magic and stuff like that. I still read the series anyway, but it's trash. There are so many other stories around that are much better than HP.
Just reading... :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyinggray:
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
helenmgilles13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helenmgilles13.html
Latest Review: Peppermint Mocha Murder by Pam Moll

Post by helenmgilles13 »

The Harry Potter series is very good at "accidentally" teaching kids how harmful discrimination, bigotry, and racism is. In my experience, kids who read this series grow up to be more open-minded and unprejudiced because they take the messages of acceptance and apply them to real-world situations. This is easy to dismiss in a kids book about wizards, which is why I think it's so effective.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

Ooooh boy, my Mother in law popped into my head when I read this thread topic. She's convinced J.K. Rowling is a satan worshipper, so she did not let my husband, or the rest of her kids read them. My mom was letting me read whatever I wanted as long as there weren't any crazy sex scenes described. Once we got married, I introduced my husband to the world of Harry Potter. While he isn't as big of a fan as I am, he did watch the first Fantastic Beasts movie by himself without my knowledge. And now he wants to see the second one, lol. So it is progress!
As far as us as parents, we are probably going to follow more along the lines my mom laid out, and let our kids read what they want, as long as it isn't too graphic, and they have an understanding of the level of book they are reading.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”