Have You Ever Thrown a Book Away?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kathryn McWeeney
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Have You Ever Thrown a Book Away?

Post by Kathryn McWeeney »

I have never, EVER thrown away a book. No matter how much I hated it, no matter how old or cheap it was. If I cannot enjoy reading it, I will either sell it online or give it to someone else. Perhaps I will write a silly note on the first page and drop it off in the corner of a library for someone to pick it up and laugh and write a note back. But no, to throw away a book is nonsensical and the very thought of it horrifies me.
Divya Tamilselvan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divya-t.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B086KCQX95

Post by Divya Tamilselvan »

Nope, I haven't thrown books away. But I have thrown away my school and college subject books.
Scott Fling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott-fling.html
Latest Review: GOD'S PLAN FOR YOU: 21-DAY DEVOTIONAL by Tim Outlaw

Post by Scott Fling »

No, I haven't. If I didn't want a book anymore, I would donate it to either my church or to a bookstore. The only time I would throw away or recycle a book is if pages were missing and it was falling apart.
Mereo Vermillion

Post by Mereo Vermillion »

Technically I did. And the book was "The Maze Runner". The robot spiders described in the book was so horrifying that I had to throw it away but luckily my mom found it and sold them with other old paper stuffs. And later when when I saw the movie, I realised those robots aren't that scary, my imagination is just too improved 😬
Shane Lucey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shane-lucey.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shane Lucey »

I definitely have. Not for being a poorly written book, but for being worn down or damaged to the point where it was no longer usable. I tend to drop off old books to my library if they are in good condition and books that I think people would be looking for. Otherwise they go to the thrift store.
Anna_Hernandez
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: American Dirt
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-hernandez.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Anna_Hernandez »

I have never thrown a book away. Even old elementary academic books I donate if they're still up-to-date, or give them to art teachers that use them in collage or journal making projects (the kids love ripping up the books apparently).

I think the only reasons I would throw a book away is if it was ruined, as in young children got their hands, markers, and/or scissors into it, or growing something due to the environment it was stored in. Otherwise, I donate all books so others can put them to use.
Ma Leonarda Castañares
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-leonarda-casta-ares.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Ma Leonarda Castañares »

Never! books are expensive so I could never throw them away :'(
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

Only when it got ruined from taking a plunge in the pool and staying in there overnight! I was beyond saving by that point. Otherwise, I always donate any unwanted books to local schools. 
MesfnKalu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mesfnkalu.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by MesfnKalu »

Only once.
Kaylyn_Marie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Eater of Gods
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylyn-marie.html
Latest Review: H.O.E Hustle Over Everything by Samantha Camel
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kaylyn_Marie »

I audibly *gasped* when I read the title of this forum.

The thought of throwing a book away makes me want to cry! In the past, if I don't like a book I'll gift it to my grandma and if she doesn't like it either then I'll donate it to my local bookstore or library.
~The Tatted Reader :reading-3:
Kaylyn_Marie
Currently Reading: The Eater of Gods
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylyn-marie.html
Latest Review: H.O.E Hustle Over Everything by Samantha Camel
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kaylyn_Marie »

Same here, I couldn't imagine throwing aways someone else's work! I donate to my local library or local bookstore.
Kathryn McWeeney wrote: 18 Feb 2016, 06:13 I have never, EVER thrown away a book. No matter how much I hated it, no matter how old or cheap it was. If I cannot enjoy reading it, I will either sell it online or give it to someone else. Perhaps I will write a silly note on the first page and drop it off in the corner of a library for someone to pick it up and laugh and write a note back. But no, to throw away a book is nonsensical and the very thought of it horrifies me.
~The Tatted Reader :reading-3:
Cyan McMillan
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyan-mcmillan.html
Latest Review: The Bridge by Andrew Palmer

Post by Cyan McMillan »

The only book I've thrown away was a non-fiction anthology I rented for a college English class when it got water damage after my water bottle leaked in my backpack. It was intact enough for me to be able to read it, but was too damaged for me to return it to the campus bookstore and I had to pay for it in full. While I enjoyed the parts of the book I was assigned to read, I didn't care for it enough to want to keep it in that condition, so after the class ended, I pitched it. If it wasn't for that, it would either still be on my bookshelf or I would have sold it with most of the books I read in college. I've never bought a book I hated so much I wanted to throw it away; I'd only go as far as pitching a book if it was full of hate speech, bigotry, and/or far-right propaganda, but I can't imagine myself buying such a problematic book. Otherwise, if I were to buy a book I ended up disliking, I'd either donate it to a local thrift store or sell it online.
Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Reverend Psychopath by Dr Andrew Rynne

Post by Seetha E »

Never... i have put out kids series online for resale, shared it with friends who will love then keep them well and share it forward. Books are a treasure. I don't usually purchase books that I may not like.
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Alissa Nesson »

The only books I throw away are the ones that are broken. If it’s in pieces, I’ll throw it away and still feel bad about it! Every other book needs to find a new home or go to a place where it might find one.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”