Are libraries still relevant?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
mjholdsworth
Favorite Author: Too many to name
Currently Reading: Crazy Like Me
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mjholdsworth.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Are libraries still relevant?

Post by mjholdsworth »

I still love going to the library. Even though I own a Kindle and have access to every book possible, there is still something special about going and physically looking for that perfect book.
doyle5
Currently Reading: Steelheart
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doyle5.html

Post by doyle5 »

Totally! It would be a sad day when people decide that libraries weren't needed because of modern technology. I don't know about any of you, but I'm still waiting for the day I finally get my version of the Beauty and the beast's library :P
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

Libraries are not only relevant, they're amazing and necessary and helpful. And it's not just the libraries--it's the librarians. They answer so many questions, and help readers in so many ways--OK, my daughter is a librarian, so maybe I'm a bit biased ;-)

For the last few years I've gotten most of the books I've read from the library. Most of them have been audio books, because I like to read while I'm doing other things at the same time. I love walking through the aisles and spotting books that look interesting, and I love being able to reserve a book even if it's not in my most local library. Actually, I've thought more than once that I should have become a librarian myself. Imagining what it must be like to be surrounded by a whole building of books while I'm working--well. there aren't many other things that sound so wonderful to me!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
J+R
Currently Reading: The Book of Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by J+R »

I think they are. Even though I do buy some Ebooks - mostly for travel - I do love to underline and make margin notes in books. I love to walk around in the stacks. I love going to look for one book and enjoy looking at the others on the shelf around it. I love the whole world of reading and other visual texts as well.
Someone mentioned a recent all-digital only library. While I can accept that things are changing, I wonder about all the people who cannot afford a computer or digital equipment. It's whats happening with newspapers as well. As more go online and small town newspapers go out of business, what happens to this group of people - both economic class and age.
doyle5
Currently Reading: Steelheart
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doyle5.html

Post by doyle5 »

I think everyone is in agreement that libraries are not just relevant, but very much wanted.
Nevada Robertson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nevada Robertson »

I go to my library whenever I can. I couldn't buy new books but I was desperate to read so I decided to go. Now I get 5 books at a time and I'm always reading.
Annatasia
Currently Reading: The Great Gatsby
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annatasia.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Annatasia »

That, my friend is an absurd question. *shakes head* Even the notion!
I have a nook and paperbacks and hardcovers. I do not have a preference because I like both.
DarkestbeforeDawn
Currently Reading: The Idiot
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkestbeforedawn.html
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank

Post by DarkestbeforeDawn »

I think libraries are still relevant. Not a lot of people can afford to buy every book they want to read. And I personally don't want to commit money to a book that I may or may not like. If I had, I definitely would have wasted a lot of money. The library may struggle to survive, but I think it is a necessity.
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank
enemyoftheday

Post by enemyoftheday »

i still visit my library when i get a chance. i think the real question is if librarians are still relevant. theres a lot of self checkout stations
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

I think libraries are awesome because you can go and get books for free if you can't afford to buy the books. I would still go to the library if I hadn't read pretty much everything they have..
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

I don't go to my library that often, but I get most of my books there thru their e-services. There is still something special though about walking into a library and browsing through stacks of books knowing that
I can take one of them home if I want too. My local library provides free computer use, reading programs, and children's services. There are a lot of lower income people in my area that would not have access to these services any other way.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Delilah13
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Delilah13 »

I think that libraries will always be relevant. They keep trying to change and adapt as well
Shadowplay
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadowplay.html

Post by Shadowplay »

Yes, of course libraries are still relevant. They'll always be relevant for many of the reasons other posters pointed out. For me, I like the fact that I can discover new books or authors I've never heard about or would hear about because they're not reviewed often or at all. Just by browsing, I can get access to a whole new world of reading and I love that.
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

Yes... Libraries are relevant but there's none around me here. I can't afford to get all the books I want l, having a library will be nice.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
V-20
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-20.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by V-20 »

Yes, I think it is still relevant. No matter how much we are into gadgets or advanced in technology, I believe it is important to still have a library.
Stay safe! Sending hugs
x Val

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”