Do you think a series can ever be too long?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Re: Do you think a series can ever be too long?

Post by Tobi Adefila »

Of course! a series can be too long. I feel the longer a series the more interesting it gets. Though that's doesn't apply to all series, there are some series that one will come across and be like "Why do they have to go that far, what's the point" such series is just a waste of time.
human reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by human reader »

An anthology series where each book is its own story can go on forever, like Goosebumps (although Goosebumps has some books with direct sequels).
A series that isn't too connected, like maybe a lead character but each time a new setting or at least new plot, could go on forever.
A heavily connected series like Harry Potter shouldn't go on infinitely IMO. Maybe the rare writer can keep a series worthwhile 20+ books with the same focus but I think most would prefer they wrap up 7-10 books max.
Tomy Chandrafrost
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

Yes. If it's too long, people will have difficulty following and get bored. I'll take an example from the soap opera in Indonesia titled "Tukang Bubur Naik Haji". I think this soap opera has had thousands of episodes and ran for 3 years until people got lazy to follow it.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”