Does reading bring out strong emotions in you?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Re: Does reading bring out strong emotions in you?

Post by Airam Velarde »

I always get really attached to the characters of the book I am reading. So, yes books do bring out strong emotions in me. I find myself laughing, crying, or even blowing up in a rage. I think the hardest part is finishing the book. I tend to feel a bit sad afterwards now that this particular journey is over.
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
andybellum
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by andybellum »

Not as much as it used to. I suppose that's a function of the aging process and life experiences. I was once brought to tears by an account of a man who had just found out
one of his best friends had died. It was part of a radio transmission detailing the KIA's
(men killed in action) in his unit that day. Neither he nor the man who gave him the
information knew each other. The information was pertinent to The Marine Corps and
was the cold, impersonal "just the facts ma'am" received of the victim of a stick up. The recipient broke off the transmission and began a eulogy of his departed friend,
enconsced solely in the pages of the book. It was filled with kind remembrances. I don't know the men in question, but it drove strong emotions to the forefront of my
consciousness. That was 35 years ago when my heart was younger.
lisateb
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisateb.html
Latest Review: "Burning Secret" by Stefan Zweig

Post by lisateb »

If the books I'm reading doesn't bring out some sort of strong emotion, then it's not a very good book.
"Why understand when you can believe?" Christopher Moore, Coyote Blue
Latest Review: "Burning Secret" by Stefan Zweig
Anna Meyer
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-meyer.html
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa

Post by Anna Meyer »

Yes. Sometimes I might get offended and stop reading the book, but it hasn't happened so often.
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa
Radhika_17
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: The Alchemist
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-17.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Radhika_17 »

Everyone who enjoys reading feels emotionally connected to the book. It also depends on the beauty of the writing of a certain author. How he makes his readers feel connected with the book. Authors like Cecilia Ahern focus on the emotional instincts of readers while authors like Sidney Sheldon focus on the adrenalin. So it basically depends on the author's writing style! :D
Savedmyheart
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savedmyheart.html

Post by Savedmyheart »

Yes, I have gotten so wrapped up in stories and with the characters that I have cried while reading a story. Some stories just have a way of becoming a part of you.
shameca120

Post by shameca120 »

Yes!
I prefer to read at home for that reason. When I'm really into a book I let it be known. Example : you know how certain people are loud and vocal in movie theaters? That's me all the way reading a book. :lol:
Jess8702
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jess8702.html

Post by Jess8702 »

Yes! My mood usually goes along with my book. I love Nicholas Sparks books but (as some of you may know), his books don't always have the happiest story-lines so I usually end up picking something else. I enjoy reading all kinds of books but because of the emotions that I have when reading, I tend to read more fun/funny/non serious books.
WinterCandyMints
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wintercandymints.html

Post by WinterCandyMints »

Oh, my goodness. I can't count the times I've just about lost all emotional control over a book. It's an endless cycle.
LSWS07
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lsws07.html
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland

Post by LSWS07 »

If a scene gets to me, I have to read it aloud. I feel it and understand it all the more.
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland
MrsBak0n
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsbak0n.html

Post by MrsBak0n »

One series I read I felt so connected with the characters that I felt like I'd see them in heaven when I died. Now, that'd good writing!
WinterCandyMints
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wintercandymints.html

Post by WinterCandyMints »

I can't even begin to explain the emotions invoked by a book. I'd be here all day. To save time, I'm just going to say, I have just full blown ranted to my entire class about how upset and hurt a book I read made me feel.
Fiction_Fanatic

Post by Fiction_Fanatic »

I sobbed uncontrollably after finishing Me Before You by Jojo Moyes...
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

Definitely! If a book does not evoke emotions the author did not do his or her job. Therefore, the book is not worth reading.It is very similar to a movie that fails to evoke emotions. It is not worth seeing.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

Yes. Reading brings out strong emotions in me. Anger, cry, frustration, sadness etc. Also, my emotions change with the change of genre.
Amna Khalid

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”