The smell of new books

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kabby
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: The smell of new books

Post by Kabby »

I just love books! New books, used books but I really love a book that's been made in the 1800's/early 1900's, the smell and history of the book is wonderful. I know they're very rare to find but when I do find one, I feel like I've found buried treasure, especially if I can get it for a bargain price, some of my special books only cost me a few dollars. Alas, with so much done online these days, I fear in the future, books may not even be made anymore! :cry:
read and teach books

Post by read and teach books »

Interesting as was getting a haircut and talking to the hairdresser about my ebooks and she made the comment that her kids love reading but they don't like reading on an ereader because they "miss the smell" of real books....new or old. Coincidentally, I just found out my cousins wife makes ereader covers by taking old books and hollowing them out to fit a Kindle ereader so that the reader feels and smells a book!!! Best of both worlds!
lpatterson

Post by lpatterson »

Agreed, the smell of old books is amazing...i almost enjoy the smell of old Comic Books even more :)
Jen319164
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen319164.html
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou

Post by Jen319164 »

i personally enjoy chemical smells for some odd reason
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou
read and teach books

Post by read and teach books »

Ithink I'd sooner go for "chocolate" scented pages … I guess you might say, "different chemicals" …..!

-- 23 Mar 2014, 01:21 --

Ithink I'd sooner go for "chocolate" scented pages … I guess you might say, "different chemicals" …..!

-- 23 Mar 2014, 01:21 --

buttafly74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buttafly74.html

Post by buttafly74 »

I enjoy both. They each engender different feelings and ideas in me.
electramia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-electramia.html

Post by electramia »

I think its just that new books have a particular nice smell that old books just can't achieve.
"Life’s too short to drink crappy coffee and cry over boys who don’t care."
-Matt Healy (The 1975)
K_Robinson
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-robinson.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by K_Robinson »

I find old books to smell, well...old. I don't think I could honestly say I enjoy the smell of dust and mildew.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I love the smell of both quite a lot. They both hold memories or sunny summer days or laying on my bed by my window, reading on a rainy spring day. Those were the majority of my childhood, I loved to read and for some reason I loved the smell of new and used books the most on those days.
Doodahday6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doodahday6.html

Post by Doodahday6 »

I like the smell of old and new books. I love when the smell of the books greets me when I enter the library or a bookstore. I think part of it does have something to do with my love of reading.
katielgorton3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katielgorton3.html

Post by katielgorton3 »

I think... We are all just a bunch of sentimental fools. They say that smell triggers more emotions then almost all of the other senses, so whether it's the smell of your grandma’s kitchen, the smell of your favorite blanket, or the smell of a book, new or used, it's still just a play on our melancholy subconscious.

-- 29 Mar 2014, 19:49 --
katielgorton3 wrote:I think... We are all just a bunch of sentimental fools. They say that smell triggers more emotions then almost all of the other senses, so whether it's the smell of your grandma’s kitchen, the smell of your favorite blanket, or the smell of a book, new or used, it's still just a play on our melancholy subconscious.
That being said, I have a first edition copy of "Brief Candles" by Aldous Huxley, and it's one of my most favorite possessions because of the history that it's pages are soaked in. And... yes, the smell has something to do with that.
casey238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casey238.html

Post by casey238 »

I personally love the smell of a new book.
Agne
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agne.html

Post by Agne »

I like the smell of some new books. I agree that there are plenty of new books which smell like chemicals. I also like the smell of old books, but, again, not all.
hopeingod

Post by hopeingod »

Funny how the look, smell and feel of a book will determine sales. I've purchased books throughout my life after reading a few lines of the text and bought them simply because of the aesthetics. The content wasn't anything to rave about, I realized later, but the books looked good. This is especially true for collectible hardback books. Appearance and condition is everything.
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Post by Winter »

I don't really like the smell of books, new or old. I do love the feel and look of a new book, though.
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”