The smell of new books

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
ChelseaH
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelseah.html

Re: The smell of new books

Post by ChelseaH »

Adonis Maratos wrote:What is it with people saying they love the smell of new books? I have never purchased an unused book that didn't faintly smell of chemicals. Old books though, they have a proper smell, a wonderful smell. It varies as the life the book has led varies but it always smells like the passage of time, it smells like an adventure. The book's smell tells another story than the one the book itself has written. All in all, I find it hard to understand what y' all are talking about when you talk about 'new books smell' :p
I never find a smell when I get a old book, but when I pick up a new book and get home the first thing I do is flip through the pages and smell it.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

I love the smell of old books!!! New ones, no. But to go into an old antique store and find books that are really old.....ah! I have found some treasures that way and the smell wonderful! LOL!
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
Adonis Maratos
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: thief of time
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adonis-maratos.html
Latest Review: "All myths and facts about Sri Ganesh" by Raja Bhowmik
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Adonis Maratos »

laarnilopez wrote: It only wins by a sniff.
Pun intended? ;)
"We are what we repeatedly do, excellence; therefore is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle
crashlee012
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crashlee012.html

Post by crashlee012 »

I honestly don't know why I love the smell of old books. It's as wonderful as the smell of freshly cut grass. Book stores always smell magnificent, but it's the Thrift Store book section full of used books that always draws me in. Like a moth to a flame, I make a straight beeline to the book section of any store. I always feel like Belle when she flipped through the pages of her favorite book with a look of total and complete happiness on her face. Like she could die there and be totally fine with it. The smell of old books does that to me...and I'm perfectly happy to let it :)
W-Harbinger
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-w-harbinger.html
Latest Review: "Branded" by Katie Hamstead

Post by W-Harbinger »

Ashey87 wrote:the smell of coffee combined with the new book smell is awesome :D 8) :roll:
I laughed when I read this for I completely agree. The two together do make a very inviting smell. I also enjoy the feel of old book pages that have been worn a little yellow with age. I don't know why, I just do. :oops:
Latest Review: "Branded" by Katie Hamstead
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

I'm not big on book smells at all - new or old. What I like about new books is the way they sound when you open them the first couple times. What I like about old books is the feel of the pages as I turn them (they're generally softer and thicker).
Jen319164
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen319164.html
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou

Post by Jen319164 »

From where I get my books the books don't smell like a new car or fresh ink on paper or any of that stuff and i think it is because they are quite expensive and i have seen alot of people just go to the bookstore to read them and put them back also i guess they are used but even the ones at the back of the shelves or the ends of the piles......scent less
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou
Swalka1991
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Night Shift by Nora Roberts
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swalka1991.html
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by Swalka1991 »

Haha. The smell of books themselves don't particularly interest me. It's just the smell of paper and glue and ink. Bookstores, though, are wonderful. I prefer used bookstore scent to new bookstore scent, though. There's something almost homey about it, since I have my own library/office in my house!
Adonis Maratos
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: thief of time
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adonis-maratos.html
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Adonis Maratos »

Swalka1991 wrote:Haha. The smell of books themselves don't particularly interest me. It's just the smell of paper and glue and ink. Bookstores, though, are wonderful. I prefer used bookstore scent to new bookstore scent, though. There's something almost homey about it, since I have my own library/office in my house!
The house where i grew up also had a library (still has and I spend a lot of time there when i visit) but the room doesn't really have a particular smell, do you think there's something different between your Library and mine?
"We are what we repeatedly do, excellence; therefore is not an act, but a habit" - Aristotle
VanessaCherie21_
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessacherie21.html

Post by VanessaCherie21_ »

I absolutely adore the smell of books-old or new. It's a very comforting smell to me. I also love the sound a new book makes when you first open it up. :D
sdietrich
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdietrich.html

Post by sdietrich »

Personally, I love the smell of new books. I agree that there is a distinction between a "new book smell" and an "old book smell", but I love the smell of a new book! To me, the smell of a new book is the smell of a new adventure. It's the start of something magical...
nikinoodle7
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Such a hard choice
Currently Reading: Insurgent By Veronica Roth
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikinoodle7.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by nikinoodle7 »

I'm a sucker for new and old book smells. <3
lizrumping
Favorite Author: JK Rowling
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska by John Green
Currently Reading: 13 Little Blue Envelopes-Maureen Johnson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizrumping.html

Post by lizrumping »

I like the smell of both new and old books. But the smell of books, in general is probably my favorite scent out there. I recently heard about a perfume that smells like books. Might have to check that one out..
nikinoodle7
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Such a hard choice
Currently Reading: Insurgent By Veronica Roth
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikinoodle7.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by nikinoodle7 »

Perfume?! I'm all for checking that out. (:
sashacats

Post by sashacats »

I love the smell of old and new books! When I walk into a bookstore or library and that book scent hits my nose I instantly anticipate the new adventure I am about to embark on.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”