Audiobooks or the real thing?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
hermione3280
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Audiobooks or the real thing?

Post by hermione3280 »

I need a book in my hands. Don't like ereaders either. Audiobooks in the car are too distracting. I get very absorbed in the story, and don't want to risk an accident.
aspen_janine
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-janine.html

Post by aspen_janine »

I like audiobooks for walking but it's usually of a book I've already read.
Aivlys
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aivlys.html

Post by Aivlys »

I prefer text because I can read faster than I can listen to an audiobook and retain more of the story when I actually read. Audiobooks are never my first choice for a new book BUT I've 're-read' a few series of books with audio books and I do like the added dimension of the audio books with a good reader or multiple readers. If I go with audio, it MUST be unabridged.
MysteryReader95
Currently Reading: Armed and Fabulous by Camilla Chafer
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mysteryreader95.html

Post by MysteryReader95 »

I prefer reading actual books. I would probably start thinking about something else and stop listening to the book.
Rachel27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel27.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Rachel27 »

Honestly, i have not tried an audiobook since i was a kid. Then, i was not really impress maybe because the voice over was very boring. However, i would definetely try it out for a very steamy erotic story :mrgreen: :oops: 8) Haha!
dollface
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dollface.html

Post by dollface »

Audio books are relaxing if you are working on something or if you are driving but what i don't like about them is that I agree with lots of the replies that audio books are something that distract you from driving and that if you get consumed into a book that it would take you away from what you are doing and can be dangerous.
the real thing of an actual book is nice and enjoyable. sucks when you are getting really involved into your book and you have to do something and you cant finish it. i like that its easier to pick up where i left off in an actual book rather than an audio book.

i prefer a real book.
dearsindy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dearsindy.html

Post by dearsindy »

Audiobooks are a nice change of pace and can be quite amusing when they have an engaging narrator. I only tend to use them though when I am commuting a great distance. But if I could read and drive at the same time safely, I would probably do it.
tamara_mc41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-mc41.html

Post by tamara_mc41 »

one thing I hated in high school was having to listen to people read out loud in class.
I prefer a solid book in my hands.
I understand conversations between characters better, I can visualize what's going on almost like watching a movie when I read something my self.
another thing I cant stand is reading on a device.
there is something about physically turning a page, or when reading placing the book marker 50 pages ahead as a goal to get to before putting the book down.
-T.M.C.
Tb6698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tb6698.html

Post by Tb6698 »

I like the real thing better, there is something about holding it in your hands and reading it in your own voice that I prefer from audiobooks :)
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

Bailers77 wrote:I love going on long bike rides when it is nice out and listening to an audio book. I do still prefer to read an actual book but its nice to be out and about also.
Me too.I still prefer paperbacks but you know I can tolerate kindle audiobooks when I am cleaning :lol:
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

I hate audiobooks. Mainly because I find that the reader has a monotone, or doesn't say something how I think that specific character would say it. I feel like when I hold the book in my hands, I can imagine it the way I want to, and I don't have to imagine it the way the stuffy reader does.
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
jolovesbooks1

Post by jolovesbooks1 »

When I used to drive a long way to work I loved audiobooks. The only problem was I almost hated to go into work if I was in a good part! :) Also good for listening while walking but unfortunately I have become older and lazier, and so busy running my grandson back and forth, that I don't walk as much any more. If I listen to them sitting down at home they put me right to sleep. I love the feel of a book in my hands so mostly my preference now.
fluidity
Bookshelf Size: 56

Post by fluidity »

I like the tactility of the real thing.
knighthkm
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Also too many
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knighthkm.html
Latest Review: "The Big Cats" by Enid Joyce

Post by knighthkm »

I like audio books for road trips and when I'm cleaning
Latest Review: "The Big Cats" by Enid Joyce
MaragothThorn
Favorite Author: GK Chesterton
Favorite Book: Father Elijah by Michael D. OBrien
Currently Reading: Skin by Ted Dekker
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maragoththorn.html
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell

Post by MaragothThorn »

It depends mostly. I'd rather read the actual thing. For example, with Pride and Prejudice I actually try to imagine the voice of all the characters in Pirates of the Caribbean and Wicked and it makes everything sound better.
Latest Review: "Bad Endings" by David Bussell

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”