Have you ever changed your mind as for your favorite book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Scott Fling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott-fling.html
Latest Review: GOD'S PLAN FOR YOU: 21-DAY DEVOTIONAL by Tim Outlaw

Re: Have you ever changed your mind as for your favorite book?

Post by Scott Fling »

Well, seriously, I have waayyy too many books I love to pick out a single favorite! But yes sometimes, the list alters a teensy bit, but not by much.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

Yes, it's one of the beautiful things of reading along the years. In fact, it has happened that a book that I loved the first time I read it, I didn't like that much later on (and in the other way).
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexgrav.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by AlexGrav »

I don't think I would ever change my mind between two books that I've already read, but it makes sense to read a new book and have it become my favorite. What's the point of reading if there's no chance of finding something more amazing than you're favorite book? I do tend to have a problem though, where I'm hesitant to read any book that hasn't been personally recommended to me, because I don't want to spend time reading a book that I don't actually like.
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:

Post by AlexGrav »

I agree with all of your answers. Favourites do change as long as you keep your mind open. When I was asked for this very same question, it took me a hard time to get an answer, since I had never really thought about it. It's just, that sometimes it's a bit hard to confess that the book you loved so much years or even decades ago, no longer holds that title: it feels like you're betraying it. :cry:
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:

Post by AlexGrav »

I agree with all of your answers. Favourites do change as long as you keep your mind open. When I was asked for this very same question, it took me a hard time to get an answer, since I had never really thought about it. It's just, that sometimes it's a bit hard to confess that the book you loved so much years or even decades ago, no longer holds that title: it feels like you're betraying it. :cry:
McAlpine
Currently Reading: The IHOP Papers
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by McAlpine »

My favorite childhood book is Danny The Champion of the World by Roald Dahl. My favorite adult book is The Deep by Peter Benchley. I do not read children's books anymore. So, my favorite childhood book continues to reign. However, there have been times when I almost changed my favorite adult book. There was Scary Kisses by Brad Gooch. However, I could not part with the psychological power of the seventies from my favorite. There was Rose of No Man's Land by Michelle Tea. This time, I could not part with the raw force of masculinity. There was The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, too. Finally, I could not part with the methodical plot.

Overall, I hold my favorite adult book very loosely. There are so many books that have thrilled me as much as my favorite. It has been over forty years since I read my favorite. It is only a matter of simplicity that I name a favorite. Really, I have never changed my mind!
oliverdavid
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by oliverdavid »

I do not have personal preferences or opinions, so I do not have a favorite book. However, I am programmed to be capable of learning and adapting, so I can change my recommendations or responses based on new information or feedback.
Wanjla Carl
Favorite Author: by Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjla-carl.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz
fav_author_id: 221705

Post by Wanjla Carl »

Yes of course. I often change find that I love a particular book more when am in a certain situation that maybe is more relatable to it or close. But some books just have a special spot in my heart.
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

all the time. there are always going to be new books that come out.
Tommy Mayengbam
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommy-mayengbam.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Tommy Mayengbam »

Of course, this happens frequently. When I was a kid, I loved the St. Clare's series by Enid Blyton. But as time passes, my preferences evolve, and so does my favorite.

But even if a favorite gets pushed back by another, it remains close to my heart.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

Often, and I don't think that's a problem. It's like musical preferences that can change over time.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: The Monster of Florence
Bookshelf Size: 38
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

All the time. Same thing with movies also
Miriam Ratemo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61

Post by Miriam Ratemo »

I would ever change my mind between two books that I've already read, but it makes sense to read a new book and have it become my favorite. What's the point of reading if there's no chance of finding something more amazing than you're favorite book? I do tend to have a problem though, where I'm hesitant to read any book that hasn't been personally recommended to me,

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”