Does size really matter?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
readerromance2003
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Favorite Book: Dark Magic
Currently Reading: Red
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerromance2003.html
fav_author_id: 2573

Re: Does size really mater?

Post by readerromance2003 »

I tend to like longer novels but occasional I will read short stories by authors I love.
prarich
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarich.html
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen

Post by prarich »

Yeah it does..I am not too fond of very long novels, I like 200-300 pages novel. Short stories are ok for a quick read but I dont prefer them a lot too.
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen
Tianarenee3
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tianarenee3.html

Post by Tianarenee3 »

It really shouldn't matter, but sometimes I feel guilty when I pay alot of money for a small book, especially since I read pretty fast. I like to get the bigger books over short novellas because I enjoy prolonging the end of a "world" you enter to when you start reading something.
subzerowon
Favorite Author: Tolkien_ Koontz_ect
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Black Arrow
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-subzerowon.html
Latest Review: "Gilded Feathers (book 1 in Gilded Feathers series)" by J. Woods

Post by subzerowon »

Longer novels. I usually get into reading so I get pretty disappointed when its too short.
subzerowon
Latest Review: "Gilded Feathers (book 1 in Gilded Feathers series)" by J. Woods
castor
Favorite Author: G.G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: The Palace of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-castor.html
Latest Review: "Dangerous Obsessions" by Bob Van Laerhoven
Reading Device: B002R5UYXY

Post by castor »

i like short stories. when you don't have much time to read in the day, a short story is the best option
Latest Review: "Dangerous Obsessions" by Bob Van Laerhoven
AnaF
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaf.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by AnaF »

The only problem that I have with short stories is that sometimes they don't satisfy me completely. I'm left with this feeling that I didn't know the characters that well or that was till a lot more to know about the plot itself. However, that doesn't happen with all short stories and those are he ones that I like the most. I actually think it's quite hard to write a really good short story.

I end up reading a lot more "longer" novels because they seem to be a lot more complete.
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Generally I tend to avoid books that are under a hundred pages. Though I have read one or two books that were less than a hundred before and they wereally really good, it just hasn't been enough to make be both a short story and long story reader.

I love long books!
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

To me, size isn't that important. I want to read a good story with good writing. That can be accomplished in a short story, novella, novel, and expansive, sweeping saga. How much time I have to read is a factor - if I'm at a point where I'm quite busy, I'll read some short stories. If I have more time I'll get into a longer novel. Both can be enjoyable and satisfying.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
book_pig
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-pig.html

Post by book_pig »

I've never really thought about it, but I usually go for longer books, whether it's a conscious decision or not. There are some really awesome short stories, but I can get more into a longer one.
Nimbus Wolfsbane
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: To Kill A Mocking Bird
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimbus-wolfsbane.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Nimbus Wolfsbane »

NO. Some of Edgar Allan Poe's greatest works were short stories, Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes series are reasonably short yet is probably the greatest series I have ever read!
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I honestly don't like reading books that are too short, like less than 100 pages. It takes time for me to connect with characters and see them grow and develop. Plus, I like when events happen gradually and takes time which I think happens better with longer novels since there is more room to develop the characters.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
EmilyWilliams

Post by EmilyWilliams »

Longer novels/Series are more interesting than short stories. That is my personal view :)
ccm
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccm.html

Post by ccm »

I don't have a preference as long as it can keep my attention. Although sometimes when it's not a series I find myself wanting it to be a series so that you can find out what happens in their life.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

Love longer novels and a good series but not too long of a series. Like, when it takes 20 years to finish......too long for me. Now, I just wait to start reading them until the author is done.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
Headbanginghunny
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-headbanginghunny.html

Post by Headbanginghunny »

I usually read novels that are less than 500 pages. Sometimes I'm in the mood for short, quick stories that I can finish that day if I don't have much time to start a new book. I also read longer novels, but it is a commitment when I do. I have to really enjoy it to stick with it and it takes me a while to read. I usually don't like series unless I own them all. One of my favorite series is the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King, which is compelling enough for me to want to finish it.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”