Would you read a book if somebody random said it was good?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
michelley1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Would you read a book if somebody random said it was goo

Post by michelley1 »

I would check it out, as it obviously has meant something to that random person. However, whether I read it or not is a different issue. You could go on forever if you did and, unfortunately, there aren't enough hours in the day, days in the year, etc.
runnergirl13-1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runnergirl13-1.html

Post by runnergirl13-1 »

If it is the same genre i enjoy, i probably would.
Adry41

Post by Adry41 »

Yea!And even if you have any doubts search up a review on goodreads! :)
Cate_Parke

Post by Cate_Parke »

My reply to this question is a resounding no. I read for my own pleasure. The person recommending the book must be a pretty good friend--one with whom I share an number of reading or genre interests.
Nicky101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicky101.html

Post by Nicky101 »

Of course! Mostly because I force my favourite books on other people :) I'll read anything especially if it means my friend and I form a new bond because of said book. My friend recommended The Great Gatsby as she read it in her English class and now it's something we can have long discussions about.
countrysweetheart

Post by countrysweetheart »

Absolutely, I've read a few books people have said were good. Not one to refuse a book!
Believe_15
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: The Longest Ride -- Nicholas Sparks
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Believe_15 »

Definitely!
GeonnaMarie
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geonnamarie.html
Latest Review: "Breathing Life Into a Faded Heart" by A. Reece

Post by GeonnaMarie »

Absolutely. I'll usually start with a google search, just to check out what it's about...some people aren't too great at describing a book, but I've found plenty of books that I like from recommendations. If you read it and don't like it, it's not really a big deal. At least you gave it a shot.
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." - Robert Frost.
Latest Review: "Breathing Life Into a Faded Heart" by A. Reece
Cate_Parke

Post by Cate_Parke »

Yes, GeonnaMarie, I, too, have found scads of books recommended to me by others. I'm an author myself and know many, many authors. I've read many of my author friends' books. One of them is my all-time favorite author. I began to read her on the recommendation of another author friend of mine, one of my critique partners. He had been one of her critique partners, too. I would now rather read her books than eat chocolate. They're my personal guilty pleasure. Thank Heaven, she's prolific. I've long since become friends with her. Nevertheless, something about the book's description has to capture my attention and imagination. As I said, I read strictly for my entertainment. Fortunately for me, I have far more books to read than I possibly have time to read. :D
farah elgawady

Post by farah elgawady »

depending on who that person is like if we have similar interest in books i will (although i would still check ppl reviews to be sure :P )
Cate_Parke

Post by Cate_Parke »

I think the word in the original question says it all--if a random person recommends a book.... I don't place much credence in random people's thoughts. I hope you'll pardon me, but I'm a telephone triage nurse in my other life and I speak to a lot of random people. To make a very long story short, let me just say that I'm less than swayed most of the time. :roll:
Sally Balboa
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-balboa.html
Latest Review: "The Last Daughter of Lilith" by J.L. Metcalf

Post by Sally Balboa »

I like to try and take everyone's opinion into consideration when selecting books, I actually have a list of books that I want read simply based on off-hand remarks about if someone liked them. I also try to read the ones people don't like just to see if I agree with them or not. :!:
Cate_Parke

Post by Cate_Parke »

Wow! That's brave. Believe me, I've actually done that and understand what you mean. Like you, sometimes I like the book when others don't find much merit in it. Unfortunately, that 's not my usual experience. Nevertheless, I applaud you for giving pretty much everything a chance. Authors pour their hearts into their books and each deserves a chance to be honestly judged. (I speak feelingly. I'm one, too.)
sarah92480
Favorite Author: Kim Harrison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah92480.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4193

Post by sarah92480 »

I say why not? If it's a genre that you're interested in, or maybe even one you're not, you might end up loving it.
Sally Balboa
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-balboa.html

Post by Sally Balboa »

I totally agree authors do pour their hearts into their books. That's why I feel that every book deserves a chance to be read even if it isn't the prettiest book ever, someone love and cared for it enough to bring it to life. So it deserves a chance.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”