Would you read a book if somebody random said it was good?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
sleepingsly
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sleepingsly.html

Re: Would you read a book if somebody random said it was goo

Post by sleepingsly »

Of course! I will read and finish a book, even if I don't like it!
cgrice
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgrice.html

Post by cgrice »

I might. It would depend on the type of book. If it came highly recommended, I would probably at least give it a try.
jesika0106

Post by jesika0106 »

-- 24 May 2014, 11:44 --

I absolutely would. I actually overheard this conversation about the Fifty Shade Trilogy. The one lady was saying how amazingly written it was and how well it flowed and just how great of a book it was. I had just finished a book in the House of Nights and needed something else to read so I ordered the books and I loved them!

~Jessica
ttuso22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ttuso22.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by ttuso22 »

I always take reading suggestions. Sometimes its one of the first questions I ask someone I just met. There have been some books I liked and others I didn't that random people told me to read but nonetheless it gave me somewhere to start reading.
If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison
lrwebb0327

Post by lrwebb0327 »

Yes I would read a book if a stranger said it was good. Sometimes there are just some books that are amazing and a good read to anyone. And even if after I finished reading it and didn't think it was a good book, at least I can put another book on my "Finished" list. Although, I may borrow it from the library first instead of buying it. And I would come here to see if perhaps there were any similar reviews for the book. Either way I would give it a try and read on!
writergalinatlanta

Post by writergalinatlanta »

Interestingly enough, this is how I typically go about purchasing books that I otherwise had no knowledge of. Whenever someone mentions to me that they've read a 'good' book, the first thing I ask is "why do you think it was good?" That one question opens cerebral floodgates, and the outcome of the conversation is usually a determinate as to whether I will actually go out and purchase the book, or go to the library and check it out for free.
Leeann100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeann100.html

Post by Leeann100 »

I usually go by word of mouth to select new books to read. I love hearing other reader's opinions on new releases! I also read the reviews to see if I should buy it or wait for it to become available at the library.
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Anything that won't kill you is worth at least one try, right? I've read several books just because people I talked to for five minutes said they were good. I think I'll find any excuse to try a new book, though...
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Post by erasmus »

If said random person manages to peak my interest, definitely. Besides, I depend a lot on book reviews as well (most of the time) to decide if a book will be worth my time and if it's to my taste.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Wolfsbane Creations
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wolfsbane-creations.html

Post by Wolfsbane Creations »

Yes, it depends on how highly they recommend it
phonicphoenix
Favorite Author: The Brothers Grimm
Favorite Book: Holes
Currently Reading: Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phonicphoenix.html
fav_author_id: 5346

Post by phonicphoenix »

I definitely would! It always seems like when I go to our local Barnes & Nobles that there is someone friendly who will recommend a new book to me. :)
Now it's all change, it's got to change more
Cause we think it's getting better
But nobody's really sure
missg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missg.html
Latest Review: "The Farmer's Fate" by A TRAUB

Post by missg »

Yes, most of the time I read books that my friends have suggested. They are always right about a good book!
Latest Review: "The Farmer's Fate" by A TRAUB
Cr8ivemom

Post by Cr8ivemom »

I am more concerned about interest in the topic than I am concerned about who recommended the book. I have read books based on reviews from Amazon customers and been very satisfied with quite a few of the recommendations!
readinginreview4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinginreview4.html

Post by readinginreview4 »

After some time probably. I probably wouldn't go searching for it but if I ran across it I would try it out
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

I think it depends how the person convince me. Usually, I won't read books if people told me to. I depend on reading the description present at the end of the book even before purchasing a book.
Amna Khalid

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”