Longest it took you to finish a book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Re: Longest it took you to finish a book?

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

The longest it's taken me to read a book was 3 weeks, it was a nonfiction novel and I had a hard time with it. It usually only takes me a couple days to a week to read a book.
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Post by David Dawson »

Like Moderntimes, Ulysses. It must have been at least ten years from when I first picked it up to when I finally finished it (it defeated me a couple of times), but even when I finally did make it from start to finish it took me a couple of years. Admittedly, I read lots of other things as well; I was doing most of my reading on my way home from work at the time, and so I often couldn't face working that hard for relaxation. Well worth it in the end though.
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman
NekrotikKannibal
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nekrotikkannibal.html

Post by NekrotikKannibal »

It's currently taking me 4 weeks to finish Sweet Evil. I'm not a particularly slow reader, I just am finding it difficult to get interested in the book. At this point, I'm only reading it because I can't just stop reading a book no matter how terrible the book is. I feel compelled to read any book I start all the way through no matter how bad.
Ayakashi
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayakashi.html

Post by Ayakashi »

when I was really little it would take me a few days to finish books. now, it's more like a day is the longest I can expect.
boobearsman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boobearsman.html

Post by boobearsman »

A month i think
Nimbus Wolfsbane
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: To Kill A Mocking Bird
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimbus-wolfsbane.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Nimbus Wolfsbane »

Stephen Hawking's a Brief History of Time took me about two months. I was fifteen at the time, it had to keep re-reading passage. I still don't understand 25% of it.
With each page you turn another life you live...
scriptbunny
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scriptbunny.html
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.

Post by scriptbunny »

Gosh, it's been years and I still haven't finished Ulysses. Oops.
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.
randomcheerio
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomcheerio.html

Post by randomcheerio »

I started Get Happy: The Life of Judy Garland in 2009.... and I'm ALMOST done with it.

Aside from that, I spent an entire summer reading Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (the unabridged version). I thought (correctly) that it would be a worthwhile challenge for my 16-year old self.
Sevastra

Post by Sevastra »

The longest it has taken me to finish a book is one year. It was the last Harry Potter book. I have always loved the series and have reread all of the books many times...except for the last book. When it was released, I bought a copy and read through it pretty quickly. When I reached the last chapter, I realized that that would be the end of Harry Potter for me and I just wasn't willing to give it up yet. Mind you, I was young and stubborn when I decided this. I left the bookmark on the last chapter for one year. I finally came to my senses and finished the book, of course starting from the beginning of the series.
izzyreads

Post by izzyreads »

It took me about 6 months to read the last Twilight book. I found it to be way too long and reading it was like a chore for me but I was determined to finish the series so I pressed on slowly.
WinterCandyMints
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wintercandymints.html

Post by WinterCandyMints »

I can't remember exactly, but probably a book assignment in High School - I remember hating this one book, so for once I went at the pace of the class instead of finishing it in one night.
Kmikel0509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmikel0509.html

Post by Kmikel0509 »

It took me about a month to finish Allegiant because I got spoiled and couldn't stand to make myself read it
robind13
Currently Reading: The Lullaby Sky
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robind13.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by robind13 »

I don't get a lot of time to read on a daily basis so it take me months to read a book sometimes
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I finally finished a book that I started back in the summer of 2013. It was so terrible that I couldn't keep reading it, but I hate the idea of not finishing a book. So last weekend, I forced myself to finish it. Finally made it. One more book out of my "to read" list! Whew!
Aivlys
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aivlys.html

Post by Aivlys »

Usually I measure the length of time it takes me to read a book in hours. If I'm not very into it or have a lot to do, it might stretch to days. Over the summer, I had a paid review (different site) and I almost timed out because I just could not force myself to slog through the really terrible writing. That site gives 45 days to read and review so I think that was my longest time to read a book ever.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”